Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: BK and Free Kicks

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    And in this instance, given that BK's positioning for the free kick in question was correct, what hasn't he learnt?
    I'm personally not sold his positioning was correct.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I'm personally not sold his positioning was correct.
    Gaz said the same way back in this thread...

Attachment 1008

He's a long way left.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Gaz said the same way back in this thread...
    I said he was a long way left, not that his positioning was wrong.

For the finkler free kick he got rammed for being too far behind the wall and showing too much far post.

Why don't we all admit that it's his diving action where he pulls his arms out of the stretch for the ball and seemingly gives up in mid air that annoys us all the most?

Every time a free kick is taken against us with BK in goals I have no confidence.

I dont understand these huge walls that keepers impliment. Surely a three person wall gives them sufficient area to block a powerful drive to the near post while allowing the keeper to stand close enough to that post to get over in time if the free kick taker does a chip shot over the wall. by standing so far away from the near post you basically are saying i dont think you are good enough to get it over the wall then dip under the bar. problem is that at a professional level a decent striker of the ball should be able to do this.

less people in wall and stand more centrally, simples

I usually stay out of BK threads, because they always turn into a shitfight. Don't think there is a more polarising player in the team.

The first incarnation of BK I was not a fan at all. Lead boots, nervy, was clearly out of his depth imo compared to the leagues keepers. The 2nd incarnation of BK is a lot more confident in his play and genuinely seems cut out for this league.

But there is no point denying that he has the yips on free kicks and always has. The 94 minute of game you would generally consider that free kick would go into the mixer with everyone up. But the Nix give the ball to a kid who has played 5 mins of game time. Good freekick and well taken, but imo BK is clearly not confident and inviting teams to have a crack from that range.

I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now....

Less in the wall means you open more of the goal to a ball going around the wall, the solution, move more centrally (as you suggest) but this then opens the far post to a curling shot.

The easiest thing in the world is to defend a free-kick with hindsight.

I reckon next time a keeper is faced with a penalty, he should position himself on the goal line exactly where the guy is going to kick it. Easy.

I reckon next time a keeper is faced with a penalty, he should position himself on the goal line exactly where the guy is going to kick it. Easy.
    true. But you dont stand next to one post, hoping he is not good enough to pass into the back of the net on the other side of the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by true waterboy View Post
    true. But you dont stand next to one post, hoping he is not good enough to pass into the back of the net on the other side of the goal.
    True. That's why in a free kick situation you set up a wall.

And there is no "hoping" as when you plan to use hindsight you "know"

Banned
    In the last 3 seasons the keeper for us has been Birraz 70% BK 30% approx..

In that time off the top of my head BK has let in at least 4 FK ADP Finklér Marinkovic Hicks

As for Birraz I can't recall one off the top of my head.

Pretty damming stats for BK

there is plent of hoping if you set up a wall and position yourself to not be able to cover the free space behind the wall if it does indeed go over.
    we arent talking about the ball going in top corner of the net, most of the free kicks he lets in are a good meter off the post. he should be able to get at least a hand to these as a professional keeper.
    most keepers you are confident if the ball goes over the wall they are a reasonable chance of getting a hand to it. with bk it feels like if the ball goes over the wall its game over.

Lol.

"Off the top my head" stats.

You should work for the treasury department.

Quote Originally Posted by true waterboy View Post
    with bk it feels like if the ball goes over the wall its game over.
    Judging by what has been said in this thread already, it seems that some are under the belief that a freekick that manages to go over the wall is game over regardless of who is in goals.

Is Mr Statto able to clarify how many goals conceded from that zone of free kick? I assume we're OK to write off the likes of Bosnar's as that was a hilarious accident rather than the kind of stat we're after in this argument.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

In that time off the top of my head BK has let in at least 4 FK ADP Finklér Marinkovic Hicks

ummmm, Eddie Bosnar?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Can you link me the marinkovic one? I can't find it.

And birraz? I'm not interested in comparisons between the two, that's been hashed out, but the fact you've forgotten one only serves my long standing point that anything BK does is tainted by his poor form years and years ago, and birraz was treated as the golden child by many fans (probably simply as he wasn't bk)

Remember this one?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KwvU270mOCA

Judging by what has been said in this thread already, it seems that some are under the belief that a freekick that manages to go over the wall is game over regardless of who is in goals.

Is Mr Statto able to clarify how many goals conceded from that zone of free kick? I assume we're OK to write off the likes of Bosnar's as that was a hilarious accident rather than the kind of stat we're after in this argument.

No-ones arguing it's game over, people are arguing that if he can do it, the attackers deserves more credit for the free kick than than the keeper deserves blame.

Bk positioning isn't bad, his ability to cover ground sideways, quickly, ie his explosive power, might need attention.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    ummmm, Eddie Bosnar?
    I'm sure the good Member means "closer than 40m"

Nope. Don't have that data. That's Opta level mate. Rolls Royce of stats. I'm more your Subaru model statto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar

just do this next time bk
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post

just do this next time bk
    Do you mean you want BK to take steps towards the side of the goal he knows the ball is going to?
    OK