Page 168 of 193 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 3858

Thread: 2016/17 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by monz6 View Post
    Bring David carney home
    He loves training with the socceroos too much
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    He loves training with the socceroos too much
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Yeah, the argument I am making is very much around WHY other clubs have much better squads. Someone like Broxham has been at MV since he started, would almost definitely be getting paid out of the loyalty amount and then the rest of his wages that would be inside the cap for chumps like us, spent on improving the rest of the squad. Throw in two marquees and suddenly the gap grows. And if we aren't going to have a back up GK and versatile mid/def as PART of that outside the cap spend (because they are the only ones who qualify for it), then they aren't even worth discussing as options, IMO.
    I understand what your saying, and i agree a couple of marquees outside the cap would definitely see us better able to compete wage wise with other clubs.

I just don't agree that the marginal cap saving advantage that re-signing these two players (who should be on min wage) allows, outweighs the downside of bringing down the overall quality of the squad by encouraging these mediocre signings.

If we did get a couple of quality marquees and ALSO stopped paying overs for the players that wouldn't get a run at another club... then we're onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerny View Post
    I understand what your saying, and i agree a couple of marquees outside the cap would definitely see us better able to compete wage wise with other clubs.

I just don't agree that the marginal cap saving advantage that re-signing these two players (who should be on min wage) allows, outweighs the downside of bringing down the overall quality of the squad by encouraging these mediocre signings.

If we did get a couple of quality marquees and ALSO stopped paying overs for the players that wouldn't get a run at another club... then we're onto something.
    You consider a 300k saving in the cap as marginal?

Also, you talk about BK and BK as if they are two players that are of Sam Gallagher or John Welsh standard. They are both exactly the type of players that a Melbourne or Sydney would keep around as serviceable squad depth.
    Last edited by Grimario; 02-03-2017 at 04:47 PM.

You consider a 300k saving in the cap as marginal?

Also, you talk about BK and BK as if they are two players that are of Sam Gallagher or John Welsh standard. They are both exactly the type of players that a Melbourne or Sydney would keep around as serviceable squad depth.
    I think Kantarovski has been quite reasonable this year. He started well in the first few weeks while Poljak was injured and kept him on the bench until he was forced to CB. Last weekend I thought he hit the ground running.

He's undoubtably got injury issues, which must be considered if he is re-signed - perhaps incentive contract based on appearances.

As it stands, if we want to take advantage of this exemption, Kanta and BK are the only two who fit the critera.

I think whoever said earlier that it depends on what Lee budgets outside the cap spend will be a massive influence. James Gardiner tweeted yesterday that the Jets expect to lose $2 million this year. If they have, say, $500,000 allocated will we spend it all on a marquee (leaving the cap for 22 players) or on the 2 long serving players and an NPL player (leaving the cap for 20 players). Spending it on the 3 players boosts squad depth and as Grimario has repeatedly stated allows a greater amount, on average, to be spent per player.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 02-03-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

So is it ok to boo Hoole whenever he gets near the ball now ? I mean the seasons practically over now without much hope of being in the finals. Seems only fair we take out our frustrations out on Hoole [Benedict Arnold]
    Last edited by The Dunster; 02-03-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    People do realise it is Scott Miller's new club that Hoole is looking to sign with ?
    Who he never played under. EDIT - except for pre-season .What is your point here?
    Last edited by WolfMan; 02-03-2017 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added the pre-season part

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    Who he never played under. What is your point here?
    Sorry, I thought Hoole signed when Miller was coach. The Telegraph even had Miller commenting about him signing with the Jets from Sydney FC

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...0eb266f174a2d7
    Last edited by The Dunster; 02-03-2017 at 05:08 PM.

So is it ok to boo Hoole whenever he gets near the ball now ? I mean the seasons practically over now without much hope of being in the finals. Seems only fair we take out our frustrations out on Hoole [Benedict Arnold]
    I'm reading sarcasm here, at least I hope so.

The 1 year deal we signed Hoole to was perfect. He flops as I guess most of us expected - no big deal. As it goes, he's started to hit his straps, albeit not with the greatest consistency, and we had hopes of extending his stay.

The bloke might be known as a bit of a silly billy sometimes, but fair play if he feels he is up for an overseas stint

Sorry, I thought Hoole signed when Miller was coach

Yeh I added the pre-season part afterward, my bad. Point taken, I knew there was one I just didn't see it at first. Cheers

Sorry, I thought Hoole signed when Miller was coach. The Telegraph even had Miller commenting about him signing with the Jets from Sydney FC

Miller did FFA cup. Hoole did play under him

If Hoole goes overseas hell get a shock of how below standard he is atm and I can see him returning to the aleague in a few years
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

If Hoole goes overseas hell get a shock of how below standard he is atm and I can see him returning to the aleague in a few years
    Depends where he goes. He's not going to cut it in any of the big leagues but if he ends up in Norway or Denmark, I don't think he will struggle as badly.

Depends where he goes. He's not going to cut it in any of the big leagues but if he ends up in Norway or Denmark, I don't think he will struggle as badly.
    He obviously thinks he's better then he is. Hopefully he gets some humble pie when he gets overseas

love at first sight

He obviously thinks he's better then he is. Hopefully he gets some humble pie when he gets overseas
    Players of similar caliber are earning more money in Europe... why wouldn't he go for that cash, regardless of how good he is?

Players of similar caliber are earning more money in Europe... why wouldn't he go for that cash, regardless of how good he is?
    Can we honestly say from what weve seen this season Hoole is any better than aleague standard?

love at first sight

Can we honestly say from what weve seen this season Hoole is any better than aleague standard?
    I think you're grossly over estimating the quality in some of the European leagues he's been linked with.

I think you're grossly over estimating the quality in some of the European leagues he's been linked with.
    I probably am and are those league your thinking of better then Aleague standard??

love at first sight

Hoole is making the same mistake as Taggart - getting ahead of himself and going a season too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Hoole is making the same mistake as Taggart - getting ahead of himself and going a season too early.
    Could also be a case of them going ten years too late as well. They may have done better playing youth football in Europe rather than in Australia.