Page 89 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 2687

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Loving the fact that management have been proactive in sourcing Ivan rather than getting lumped with the 4th best local NPL keeper, ala Foggarty, when we're short on

The cruel injury to Vargas last night, is a massive blow to our chances for the remainder of the season... such a sad blow for what could be argued is the best marquee we have had at the club and settled in to the harmony. great work from Griff, McKinna and Ernie

this will be a real test of the new leaderships ambitions, on how the club moves forward from yesterday. it has been the best start to a season in a long time, and we were only starting to see what a class marquee can do to a team. if we are to stick with what we have aka (brown in the No.10) we are going to struggle, he hasnt the silk and skill required in that role he is more suited to a deep lying role which has been evident all 3 games when introduced that we fall back into a flat 3 in the middle.

although a very tough proposition given the season has started we really need to find a like for like replacement for Vargas if we are to continue any chance of making the top 6 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by white city View Post
    The cruel injury to Vargas last night, is a massive blow to our chances for the remainder of the season... such a sad blow for what could be argued is the best marquee we have had at the club and settled in to the harmony. great work from Griff, McKinna and Ernie

this will be a real test of the new leaderships ambitions, on how the club moves forward from yesterday. it has been the best start to a season in a long time, and we were only starting to see what a class marquee can do to a team. if we are to stick with what we have aka (brown in the No.10) we are going to struggle, he hasnt the silk and skill required in that role he is more suited to a deep lying role which has been evident all 3 games when introduced that we fall back into a flat 3 in the middle.

although a very tough proposition given the season has started we really need to find a like for like replacement for Vargas if we are to continue any chance of making the top 6 this season.
    Agree. And for the record this is our best start to an A-League season EVER.

The option I'd take is putting Petratos central. Play Shabow or Champness out wide. I didn't hear it but apparently it is being reported on KOFM that we will look for an injury replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I'm weirdly confident that Brown will blossom.

But I'm probably wrong. So yeah, injury replacement please, Mr Lee.

so did we insure vargas??
    how we going to afford a replacement

Can't imagine Lee opening his wallet for another marquee.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Can't imagine Lee opening his wallet for another marquee.
    I suppose it depends on insurance etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    I'm weirdly confident that Brown will blossom.

But I'm probably wrong. So yeah, injury replacement please, Mr Lee.
    He was terrible when he came on yesterday. All of our flow disappeared with Vargas. I agree with the thoughts of Dimi playing as 10 and utilising Champness and Shabow. Last year at Brissy Dimi was keepimg Holman on the bench and playing the 10 role with Borello and Broich either side of him, he has enough experience playing there

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    He was terrible when he came on yesterday. All of our flow disappeared with Vargas. I agree with the thoughts of Dimi playing as 10 and utilising Champness and Shabow. Last year at Brissy Dimi was keepimg Holman on the bench and playing the 10 role with Borello and Broich either side of him, he has enough experience playing there
    I think for Brown, it's a result of the instructions he's given to play in a flat midfield 3 as opposed to the role closer to Roy that Vargas plays.

I fear if we continue to utilise Brown in that way, Roy will become isolated.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I would prefer Dimi at 10. I would also love a injury replacement!
    Anyone got any names they would like to see... that are realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    Nathan Burns is nowhere near the matchday squad in Japan. Hopefully we could get a release or a loan for him. Otherwise, who was the Sth American that was Ronny's team mate at Athens we were linked with?

Club update on Vargas. Only the ankle is broken

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Club update on Vargas. Only the ankle is broken
    We're working to get a physio on the podcast tonight to discuss the injury and general recovery timeframes.

Anyone got any stories they can share of similar injuries?

Still not good, but it is better than his leg also breaking.

Nathan Burns is nowhere near the matchday squad in Japan. Hopefully we could get a release or a loan for him. Otherwise, who was the Sth American that was Ronny's team mate at Athens we were linked with?
    Biggest issue with getting a quality player is the length of the contract. Coming all the way to Australia with no real future guarantee. You really need someone desperate... Burns seems like the player in the sort of situation we may have a shot with. Loan or sign short term with a view to retain him next year. Or hope by January we can offload someone to fit him under salary cap.

Having only signed for a year as we were seen as a "pathway" to better things, do we think his contract may be extended pending fitness?

The chance of him getting a walk up start elsewhere would be slim with no games under the belt, but if he is training for the last 6 weeks of the season (maybe even a finals run on!), and judging by the public support he is getting, could he feel like having a full off season and then another crack next season? Would we be open to that?

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    I really hope that we give Clut a crack at the No. 10 role in Ronny's absence, it is his natural role and he is way more suited to it than Brown who is just a plodder

I really hope that we give Clut a crack at the No. 10 role in Ronny's absence, it is his natural role and he is way more suited to it than Brown who is just a plodder
    Too small, not skilled enough.

Would rather Browns hunger/mongrel over Clut.

Sorry kid, you're too small/young.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post

Same was said of Cahil and he went **** that risked it in europe which I hear Clut is looking at and look what happened
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post

Doubt it, look at Caletti from Roar. Kid dictated against us, and is only 5ft6 odd

We have 2 international spots + the one sadly vacated by vargas (hopefully temporary). Sign a marquee version of morten aka someone who excells anywhere in the front 4.