Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 FFA Cup Round of 32 | Adelaide Utd v Newcastle Jets | Wed 9th Aug 2017 7:30pm

Exactly. His movement and effort was atrocious. George Blackwood who is an inexperienced kid showed completely what was required

Carrusca is an Aussie citizen now. Go balls out on someone for the middle of the park that can dominate and control a game. A number 10 wont be worth having if Kanta is playing in behind him letting the opposition dictate play

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Have you ever watched Berisha when MV or BR were struggling to create? He always gets involved, doesn't stand up front idling away the 90.
    Yeah but some strikers need service
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Not defending him but he was trash 2nite
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Fox announcing there was a 9 goal thriller, but 7-2 isnt a thriller you toothless retards

So adding a bit of levity here. Perth and Gypos both knocked out by state leaguers. Smurfs and Citeh beat same. Roar smashed 5-1 by Victory. Wanderers pinch boring game against Felix. Wooden spooners play on a paddock somewhere in SA and lose 1-0.
    Won't pass judgement yet....optimist or sadist?

The Jets will never face an easier challenge against an A-League opposition. Adelaide lost a coach, many key players, and they are still sorting out their roster and it's not being done with endless amounts of cash either.
    So it looks like business as usual for the Jets and no doubt the same old excuses will be rolled out once again for anyone stupid enough to listen.

**** this club. It's an abortion.

The better sides are going to kill the Jets this year as that pair of centre backs are the slowest in living memory.
    The Midfield can't hold a ball or pass it.
    The forwards won't have enough chances to threaten anyone due to lack of possession.

Finals football is not going to happen for this team - get out now while you can and save yourself the time and money of learning the hard way.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 10-08-2017 at 03:22 AM.

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

I used to watch mariners games last year and forget o'donavan was even out there. Same thing happened last night. Also brown seems incapable of playing that far up and recieving the ball with his back to goal. Tries for too many touches and is often dispossessed of the ball rather easily. Play him deep or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    I used to watch mariners games last year and forget o'donavan was even out there. Same thing happened last night. Also brown seems incapable of playing that far up and recieving the ball with his back to goal. Tries for too many touches and is often dispossessed of the ball rather easily. Play him deep or not at all.
    I agree. I think we moved on signing Brown to an additional year too quickly. 12 months on and we still can't agree where his best position is.
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I agree. I think we moved on signing Brown to an additional year too quickly. 12 months on and we still can't agree where his best position is.
    Back-up to ugarkovic

I agree. I think we moved on signing Brown to an additional year too quickly.
    I think the Member will agree with you
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Back-up to ugarkovic
    Simply because he's a visa player I think we will se him beside Ugarkovic. But Kanta seems quite liked by Merrick, so who knows.

I actally think this team is set up to play a 3-5-2. The squad is heavily loaded with defensive options - fullbacks (7), centrebacks (3) and defensive mids (3). Given the athletic ability of Hoffman and Georgievski they would be suited as wing backs. Play NTS central to Boogaard and Jackson. One holder with two ahead and two strikers.

I also think something holding us back in our formation is 2 holders. It's far too negative - we need 1 because the extra body further forward is needed.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I am in constant amazement at some of you who continually say "**** this club" etc

I'm not saying you can't be critical of a very lacklustre performance against weak opposition, as I was too when watching it, but to constantly say the club is no good, and shit etc yet still coming back week after week, year after year... I'm not sure who the bigger fools are. Especially when some of you here are avid fans of English clubs that haven't tasted success ever.

It's all about expectation vs reality

Simply because he's a visa player I think we will se him beside Ugarkovic. But Kanta seems quite liked by Merrick, so who knows.

I actally think this team is set up to play a 3-5-2. The squad is heavily loaded with defensive options - fullbacks (7), centrebacks (3) and defensive mids (3). Given the athletic ability of Hoffman and Georgievski they would be suited as wing backs. Play NTS central to Boogaard and Jackson. One holder with two ahead and two strikers.

I also think something holding us back in our formation is 2 holders. It's far too negative - we need 1 because the extra body further forward is needed.
    Agreed.
    We definitely need 2 up front. Playing with 1 is just suicide against the opposition we have

Agree Jeterpool, I think even last year 3 CBs would have been an option worth trying. Depends on where we fit our attacking personnel though. I think Nabbout and Petratos are more wingers than central players. 3-4-3 might be more suited to the squad. Two wingers and a central striker, two wing backs and two CMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Agree Jeterpool, I think even last year 3 CBs would have been an option worth trying. Depends on where we fit our attacking personnel though. I think Nabbout and Petratos are more wingers than central players. 3-4-3 might be more suited to the squad. Two wingers and a central striker, two wing backs and two CMs.
    It's an interesting conversation that can only be answered once we complete recruitment but by all accounts we will sign a CAM and a striker. If that's the case, I don't see Nabbout starting in a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2.

How I'd see it:

-------------------------------------------------Duncan---------------------------------------------

---------------------Boogaard---------------NTS------------------Jackson------------------------

THEN - a 4-3

Hoffman-------------Ugarkovic-----------------Kanta/Brown------------------------Georgievski

Petratos---------------------------------O'Donovan--------------------------------Visa CAM?/Visa striker?/Nabbout?

Not sure...tell me what you're thinking though!!

OR a 5

Hoffman---------------------Ugarkovic---------------------Georgievski

--------------Petratos-----------------------VISA CAM--------------------

-----------------O'Donovan------------VISA Striker-----------------------

You've then got some options on the bench with Brown, Nabbout, Clut, Cowburn, Kanta if you want to mix it up.

All hypothetical of course, and I'm likely full of crap, but I think we need to move away from 4-2-3-1 because teams know how to defend against it and I dont believe it's best for our squad.

Agree, if our strongest attacking lineup changes significantly then that will change things. I was only going off what we have at the moment. If we sign a #10 who is more a ball player than a dribbler (ie not effective out wide) then it does restrict what systems you can play. You can play a pair up top and let him drop in to get it or play a system with 3 in the middle and give him freedom. As you said, any hypotheticals based on who we might sign are hard to consider.

Another possibility if we play wing backs is that Nabbout plays the RWB role if we get some better attacking players to have further up the pitch. From memory he had pretty good work rate and hunger last year so he might make a go of it.

Formations are spoken about too much when it comes to addressing a teams problems, and i mean that with much respect to those wanting to discuss it. Our problems lie with the squad itself and the balance of youth/experience, backs/mids/forwards etc. To merricks credit, he has identified we have too many under 23's that havent reached the required standard yet.
    The fact we have so many backs is truly puzzling me considering what merrick said about attacking football when he was installed as gaffa.

Without a doubt our squad balance - both positionally and age-related, is off. It makes an interesting discussion point why we moved to sign Adelson, both a defender and under 23 player, despite not moving any one on before hand!