Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 17/18 HAL Round 14 | Shytney FC v Newcastle Jets | Wed 3rd Jan 2018 07:50pm

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    As someone who did mention it a lot during the game, my problem is that it’s a complete lack of respect for the club by people who are supposed to neutral promoters of the game, and in the process of constantly writing us off, it’s the cockriding of all things Sydney & Arnie as if they’re the greatest ever team to walk the earth. Yeah I could stop caring, but I could also stop caring about football, but I’m not going to do that either. It’s not about finding something to moan about, I’m absolutely loving this season, but it doesn’t mean I can’t criticize the way those morons carry on.
    Totally agree. The idiots need to be hauled in because sometimes the Sydney centric bias is too obvious and if you are an opposition fan it grates to hear when you pay Fox good money to watch.

Calling Sydney players by their first or nicknames, talking about their off field activities like they were there, showing a lack of knowledge on the Jets (O'Donovan one week away from playing ffs?), tipping massive defeats - it happens every week with certain commentators. Last night the podulum commentary was reasonably fair. And it bugs every other team as well, not just us.

Well done to Ned for calling out the now obvious tactic to beat Sydney before the game. The teams with the capability to switch quickly and bypass the Sydney midfield will be doing it the rest of the season - Arnie looked like someone who knew a secret was out. Look forward to Victory knocking them off.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 04-01-2018 at 10:33 AM.

What's a podulum?

Yeah honestly it just grates a bit when all highlights from the SFC team are glorified and things from other teams (us) are qualified or explained away as a mistake by the other team etc. Must have been about 7 replays of "Ninko's" goal (which went viral around the world in minutes) - don't get me wrong, it was a good goal but when you're cutting out from live play 5 minutes later to show more replays of it.. come on. If "Ninko" had played Champness' pass through that Nabbout volleyed over, Brenton Speed probably would have lost his mind for the next 2 minutes on a rave fest. All the commentary in the first half was on how good Sydney were when honestly I thought we were playing them off the park with half our team missing.

Agree with the pride in the team/performance - considering the circumstances of our availabilities and the opposition its got to be up there as one of the best performances of the season, if not for a while back. A draw probably a fair result in the end, and while we could have won it, I would have taken a draw beforehand no questions. Seeing Brown scrap and fight in the middle there and show what he can bring to the team was great, especially after the tough season he's had. Johnny struggled against some quality forwards but also made quite a few good scrambling tackles and tried his heart out. Jackson probably too timid in the first half but stepped up in the second with a few big plays.

One (slight) disappointment was the lack of belief we showed in the final 15, we really stopped trying to play and the equaliser was fairly inevitable I felt - we were not trying to do anything with the ball and it just put too much pressure on the defence. Some of this is on the defenders trying to play a better ball out rather than a clearance, but midfielders and attackers also did have a few phases of play in that time where they should do better, either with end product or holding the ball better (which we did very well in the first half). Some more cutting edge in the last half hour of the game and we really could have crafted a few more golden chances to seal it.

Overall though very happy with the performance and result. I hope the injuries aren't too serious (particularly Georgievski who was great)

On Brown, last night was his make or break for me personally.

In what I consider to be his natural position, he absolutely showed what he can bring. Unfortunate for him that he is 3rd choice at best in said position when we have all personnel available.

But, he did very well in that harassing role last night, fair play to him

any word on georgevski? didn't look good, he was signalling as soon as his arse hit the ground that he was done.

For what it's worth, he was walking around the middle without a limp shaking hands at the end.

I only got home in time to see the last 15 minutes of play. We were already 2-1 up, camped deep in our half, just continually defending and pumping it out for Sydney to have another go. Conceding seemed inevitable.
    From only seeing those 15 mins, I was devastated that we couldnt hold on for the win (mainly because I wanted to see Arnold's face after a loss).. I've read and heard that we showed lots of heart and really stuck it to them, particularly in the first half, and what a great performance overall that the boys gave. (Particularly with so many people out)

On the flip side though, if you'd told me before the game that we would draw, I would have taken it immediately.

If anyone has the time and can be bothered id be interested in seeing the stats on tge starting and finishing lineups with age and number of games played....

I think lack of fitness/game time/experience contributed far more to the drop off in the final 10 than lack of belief.. Ernie mentioned he thought they'd run out of legs.
    Ernie is an excellent man manager. Realises 90% of his job is mental preparation/management. The rest follows. His lack of emotions and sideline instructions during play really shows he sets the players up and has faith they will do a job. He realises players make mistakes. It's What happens next is the main thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    I think lack of fitness/game time/experience contributed far more to the drop off in the final 10 than lack of belief.. Ernie mentioned he thought they'd run out of legs.
    Ernie is an excellent man manager. Realises 90% of his job is mental preparation/management. The rest follows. His lack of emotions and sideline instructions during play really shows he sets the players up and has faith they will do a job. He realises players make mistakes. It's What happens next is the main thing.
    Spot on..

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Maybe belief wasn't the right word, and while I think you're right that they were probably on their last legs, I also think they had entered the "just hang on" frame of mind rather than continuing to look to play as much. Whether or not that's a mistake, I'm not sure - they were very close to managing to hold on. But I think if we had a little more possession and gave the defence another 15-30 seconds of time to regroup and settle after a defensive phase, that also helps on the fitness side of things. Its a tough balance since our game plan is so much about getting it and going forward straight away, but we did some recycling of possession in the first half and the first goal came during a long possession phase. But its hard to be too critical, still a fantastic performance.

100% agree about Ernie, and you can see the results of it with how players are consistently stepping up and overperforming our expectations. I'm sure I've heard Ernie say at some point as well, in response to a question about hiring a sports psychologist, that he doesn't see the need because he himself fills the role of the sports psychologist at the club and is responsible for the mental side of the playing group.

Ernie said in the post match that having so many kids out there meant the first half would be stronger and they’d struggle in the last 15 mins.

Now whether he truly believed it pre match is irrelevant as he immediately deflected any criticism in giving up the late goal.

Again, Miller would have absolutely blamed the players and done so very publicly.

Now I’m sure Ernie will talk to whoever was supposed to be marking bobo on the back stick, and Moss for not coming out.

But ‘we’ will probably never know.

And that’s good coaching.

Definetly moss's ball

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Definetly moss's ball
    Yep - dare I say Birraz style keeping in not dominating that six yard box!

And for those that missed it, Ernie...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...6ff-1515029167

Last edited by Jetmaster; 04-01-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Banned
    Keepers ball but Jackson got exposed

Seriously bloke has to be released

If can't get into the side after 3 years and is kept out by Boogaard we need to move on and find someone else

Have blokes like Joey C Johnny K making a go of it as professional footballers and we have blokes like Jackson Cowburn and co filling up space

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    NTS... what a player!
    Get him in the national team!

Great result given the circumstances, but did show our struggle for depth with all of the injuries we have.

MFKS, thoughts on Jackson compared to Boogs? Poor and lazy defending helped Sydney score both goals.
    Bloke is shit

Needs to go

His performance was not good enough and we need to be finding someone else there

Anyone else annoyed that Dimi has to take soo many extra touches?
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Banned
    I will go as far as saying if we had of got that win last night

That would have been the club's greatest ever win

Even surpassing 24-2-08

We showed the Blue Aids up last night even if we lapsed and didn't get the win

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    I will go as far as saying if we had of got that win last night

That would have been the club's greatest ever win

Even surpassing 24-2-08

We showed the Blue Aids up last night even if we lapsed and didn't get the win
    Would still put that 2007 semi against Blue Scum as the best.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Anyone else annoyed that Dimi has to take soo many extra touches?
    He does but he has been all season, and generally ends up being justified in doing so by getting a good pass away. Mooy is another who seems to dwell on the ball a bit but goes alright.
    I think it may be something Dimi may have to work on to really improve his game, but at the current level of opposition it is generally not a problem.