Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: 2022/23 Newcastle United Jets Men's Squad

Did everyone see the article about Archie's impending surgery this off season?

https://keepup.com.au/news/newcastle...apas-a-league/

They had already said about as much last season when they took a look at his legs the first time. So, we knew he wasn't going to be at full pace this season before a ball was even kicked. It just seems a few angry people forgot and decided to use Archie's minutes as the most important KPI for the club this season.

But, regardless of any of that, it will be great to see him HOPEFULLY recover quickly and get a full pre season in before starting again next year at full fitness and full pace. The current ownership setup has the most perfect way to get fans invested more without having to spend a cent if Archie can get fit and firing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

The Facebook crowd have no idea. I actually had the chance to ask Pappas this question to his face. He told me Archie has fitness issues and that pushing him too hard would make him, in his own words, "another Kanta".

It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    The current ownership setup has the most perfect way to get fans invested more without having to spend a cent if Archie can get fit and firing.
    Appreciate the sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Did everyone see the article about Archie's impending surgery this off season?

https://keepup.com.au/news/newcastle...apas-a-league/

They had already said about as much last season when they took a look at his legs the first time. So, we knew he wasn't going to be at full pace this season before a ball was even kicked. It just seems a few angry people forgot and decided to use Archie's minutes as the most important KPI for the club this season.

But, regardless of any of that, it will be great to see him HOPEFULLY recover quickly and get a full pre season in before starting again next year at full fitness and full pace. The current ownership setup has the most perfect way to get fans invested more without having to spend a cent if Archie can get fit and firing.
    Watching the presser, he seemed to indicate he was over-played when he went overseas.

Regardless, he's the only local hope we have in the squad and for the sake of his career I hope surgery can help him....but back surgery at 19....geez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Watching the presser, he seemed to indicate he was over-played when he went overseas.

Regardless, he's the only local hope we have in the squad and for the sake of his career I hope surgery can help him....but back surgery at 19....geez.
    if this has been the case then why has he even been on the bench and not getting the problem addressed sooner

crowd is sitting there wondering why he is not getting on the pitch and then getting fed this info after the event

absolutely no transparency with the current management and definitely turning fans off

Quote Originally Posted by jandysardine View Post
    if this has been the case then why has he even been on the bench and not getting the problem addressed sooner

crowd is sitting there wondering why he is not getting on the pitch and then getting fed this info after the event

absolutely no transparency with the current management and definitely turning fans off
    Jimmy Gardiner reported that surgery was required for Goodwin some weeks ago. And what more do you want the club to say to be more transparent about his injury than they did this week?

I agree there are mixed messages having him on the bench. I'm a believer that everyone on there needs to be an option - but as was said in the presser Archie has maybe 10 or 15 minutes in him at most. Having him on the sideline warming up creates frustration among the fans.

As for the speed of getting it addressed - perhaps a conservative approach was tried first. That hasn't responded so surgery is the next step. I'm just making assumptions, but taking a step back for a second - it's a big decision to operate on a 19 year old's back.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Jimmy Gardiner reported that surgery was required for Goodwin some weeks ago. And what more do you want the club to say to be more transparent about his injury than they did this week?

I agree there are mixed messages having him on the bench. I'm a believer that everyone on there needs to be an option - but as was said in the presser Archie has maybe 10 or 15 minutes in him at most. Having him on the sideline warming up creates frustration among the fans.

As for the speed of getting it addressed - perhaps a conservative approach was tried first. That hasn't responded so surgery is the next step. I'm just making assumptions, but taking a step back for a second - it's a big decision to operate on a 19 year old's back.
    The article explained why he was on the bench and didn't play, it said that they had him on the bench because they thought he was a good option for 10-15 minutes at the end if we were chasing the game.

Once we went down a man, the role of the striker in that team was going to be a lot more physical and pressing based, hunting for scraps, and it was decided it wouldn't be suitable for either party to put Goodwin on for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The article explained why he was on the bench and didn't play, it said that they had him on the bench because they thought he was a good option for 10-15 minutes at the end if we were chasing the game.

Once we went down a man, the role of the striker in that team was going to be a lot more physical and pressing based, hunting for scraps, and it was decided it wouldn't be suitable for either party to put Goodwin on for that role.
    Thanks Macca. I didn't recall the information correctly re: the article. It came out before the game (I think the week before) he needed surgery - does anyone remember where that was? It was certainly out there and why I was surprised he was on the bench game day.

Thanks Macca. I didn't recall the information correctly re: the article. It came out before the game (I think the week before) he needed surgery - does anyone remember where that was? It was certainly out there and why I was surprised he was on the bench game day.
    Sorry, I quoted you but I was more replying to Jandy along the lines of your response.

I have not seen/read the James Gardiner article, I read one on keepup which I think may have been put out after the match in response to fan questions - but I thought it did answer those questions well.

I'm optimistic about the Jets going forward unlike many others. I think Papas is the right manager, I think the jets have been extremely unlucky this year. A couple of games such as Wellington and Brisbane both away some massive decisions went against us. O'Neil and Piscopo injured for large parts of the season didn't help.

Obviously goals scored needs to increase. With so many players off contract it's a massive transfer window coming up.

I think that the Jets have lost their home advantage to some degree. The crowds this year have been poor, I think the Newcastle football public needs to really get behind their team. The other night against the Mariners was embarrassing that the mariners had at least a third of the supporters, I'm sure some will argue it was higher. So many in the area play Football compared to Rugby League, but the Knight's get so many more despite being unsuccessful.

The positives going forward, Piscopo and Natta both locking in AM and LB.

I think a decision probably needs to be made with the keepers, both up to A League standard but do we need them both? Beka and thurgare headline off contract players. Big off season coming up.

1 game to go unless a miracle happens.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    I'm optimistic about the Jets going forward unlike many others. I think Papas is the right manager, I think the jets have been extremely unlucky this year. A couple of games such as Wellington and Brisbane both away some massive decisions went against us. O'Neil and Piscopo injured for large parts of the season didn't help.

Obviously goals scored needs to increase. With so many players off contract it's a massive transfer window coming up.

I think that the Jets have lost their home advantage to some degree. The crowds this year have been poor, I think the Newcastle football public needs to really get behind their team. The other night against the Mariners was embarrassing that the mariners had at least a third of the supporters, I'm sure some will argue it was higher. So many in the area play Football compared to Rugby League, but the Knight's get so many more despite being unsuccessful.

I think a decision probably needs to be made with the keepers, both up to A League standard but do we need them both? Beka and thurgare headline off contract players. Big off season coming up.

Newcastle as a whole has given up on the Jets and wont ever get back on board, Not to a level we need. Focus on the current members and maybe the few hundred or couple of thousand who have left us and get us in a 10K stadium. That's the best we can hope for as a club
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post

Was under the impression Ryan Scott was signed so maybe something happening in the GK department

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Newcastle as a whole has given up on the Jets and wont ever get back on board
    You won't believe how many times I have heard this said since 1978 for all of our national representatives. It ain't over.

Of course success breeds success (as does money) - it is only a couple of years since we filled the our stadium and sent thousands to Gosford when said Coasties had no money or players, and were in a worse state than we are now.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    You won't believe how many times I have heard this said since 1978 for all of our national representatives. It ain't over.

Of course success breeds success (as does money) - it is only a couple of years since we filled the our stadium and sent thousands to Gosford when said Coasties had no money or players, and were in a worse state than we are now.
    Thats all good but to the best of my knowledge two potential sales appear to have fallen over at the last hurdle so something is not right there.

Since the inception of the A League i can't recall a time where the club has been so poor at engaging with supporters and the result of that will be only rusted ons will hang around and maintain support while others will feel alienated and lose interest. With declining membership and attendances i would have thought the club would have made this a priority, After all its like manners , Keeping fans feeling like they belong and engaged would cost them nothing.

All IMO of course.

And mine
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Thats all good but to the best of my knowledge two potential sales appear to have fallen over at the last hurdle so something is not right there.

Since the inception of the A League i can't recall a time where the club has been so poor at engaging with supporters and the result of that will be only rusted ons will hang around and maintain support while others will feel alienated and lose interest. With declining membership and attendances i would have thought the club would have made this a priority, After all its like manners , Keeping fans feeling like they belong and engaged would cost them nothing.

All IMO of course.
    Curious as to where you think the lack of engagement is particularly or what more you think they should be doing?

There is plenty of info sent almost daily to fans via email and socials, the players are out and about doing appearances and clinics. Matchday activities (such as the card giveways) are as good as most other clubs, although the stupid "theme days" designated by the APL are pretty cringeworthy. There has been more than one fan day.

The main issues are simply - lack of results on field and the sale of the club, which, although both extremely worrying has happened several times before. The day Newcastle KB United folded was traumatic and I still remember the photo of the players all standing outside Rosebuds club with their careers in tatters. Everyone thought football was dead in Newcastle.

I am amazed how many people have their nose out of joint just because there is no running commentary on the club sale. There is a strong rumour one A-League club may not return next season and it isn't us, so I am grateful I still have a club.

What I do accept is that the modern football fan is a spoilt brat who cannot tolerate failure and wants to be associated with winners - check out how many Leicester fans you can find these days, whereas NUFC fans are appearing out of the blue!
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 29-04-2023 at 12:16 PM.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Big difference between a member and a groupie, I'm an ex member, you're a groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Curious as to where you think the lack of engagement is particularly or what more you think they should be doing?

There is plenty of info sent almost daily to fans via email and socials, the players are out and about doing appearances and clinics. Matchday activities (such as the card giveways) are as good as most other clubs, although the stupid "theme days" designated by the APL are pretty cringeworthy. There has been more than one fan day.

The main issues are simply - lack of results on field and the sale of the club, which, although both extremely worrying has happened several times before. The day Newcastle KB United folded was traumatic and I still remember the photo of the players all standing outside Rosebuds club with their careers in tatters. Everyone thought football was dead in Newcastle.

I am amazed how many people have their nose out of joint just because there is no running commentary on the club sale. There is a strong rumour one A-League club may not return next season and it isn't us, so I am grateful I still have a club.

What I do accept is that the modern football fan is a spoilt brat who cannot tolerate failure and wants to be associated with winners - check out how many Leicester fans you can find these days, whereas NUFC fans are appearing out of the blue!
    Yet there are people who are quick to post on here who like to infer they have some inside knowledge on the status of any potential sale.

Fold the club

Guessing the Bulls are still not ponying up with license fee ?

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Big difference between a member and a groupie, I'm an ex member, you're a groupie
    There's only one member around here and neither of you are him, although one of you is almost as painful.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

The whole league is about to fall over, the APL are paying Perth and brisbane?s wages, jets are owned by other clubs, Melbourne city are three time premiers but can?t get a crowd over 5,000, where do I stop