Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ownership 2023

The first buyer was that close that staff were measuring up for new carpet, furniture etc.

The 25 million came from Townsend's desire to make that standard for new licenses and this flowed onto clubs for sale like us and Perth.

We are not valued by the APL. Everyone at the club has done what they can and cannot be criticised and that includes Shane, who has to make a silk purse out if a sow's ear.

Personally, I have pulled a minor sponsorship for this reason. Not looking good.

This is a waiting game.
    Remember when Ledman swooped in to buy us right at the death. The peril creates opportunities for buyers to get us at a reduced cost. While there's no immediate threat, the pressure is rising and soon our time will come.
    Maybe we will get a buyer...maybe we will slip through the cracks. APL just need someone ready to replace us or risk their own broadcasting contracts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Apologies if posted previously but is the West group an option

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Apologies if posted previously but is the West group an option
    Not according to West's CEO Phil Gardiner who said something like

West's are obviously a Leagues Club so their association with the Knights makes sense

The Jets are a soccer club so it's of no interest to them

That is why i reckon this is our final season. If you were previously part of a failed bid but still had the ability to have things in place to commence for the season after next you would be working the phones to all and sundry to get a start.

The quality of our squad is reflective of the other three club owners commitment and if the rumors Reno wants out are true then not only are we the proverbial cluster^&8$ off the pitch but there is real potential for some ugly results on the pitch which will only compound things.

Casting an honest eye over the squad and you would be lucky to find a couple who would make the first 11 at any other club, The remaining lucky to make a match day squad and most playing NPL somewhere. That is not trying to be funny or disrespectful but it is the reality of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    This is a waiting game.
    Remember when Ledman swooped in to buy us right at the death. The peril creates opportunities for buyers to get us at a reduced cost. While there's no immediate threat, the pressure is rising and soon our time will come.
    Maybe we will get a buyer...maybe we will slip through the cracks. APL just need someone ready to replace us or risk their own broadcasting contracts
    APL wont reduce the asking price, That's the issue
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    APL wont reduce the asking price, That's the issue
    Not yet.

When those who pay them money for the product they're dishing up start to force their hand let's see how long they hold that line.

Give it time... they might hold the cards, but only for now.

Hell if we punters on a forum know the price is overs, people doing their due diligence will too
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 11-07-2023 at 11:00 PM.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Not yet.

When those who pay them money for the product they're dishing up start to force their hand let's see how long they hold that line.

Give it time... they might hold the cards, but only for now.

Hell if we punters on a forum know the price is overs, people doing their due diligence will too
    Problem is DT is a ****ing idiot so who knows what he will do
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

I had the chance to have coffee with Tony Sage in Perth this time last year and he told me then he had a gutful of Townsend and the Sydney/Melbourne bias of the league. It was so refreshing to hear that we are not alone. He didn't say he would sell then but obviously since has had enough.
    Not just us, the whole league is in trouble. Propping up the girls tbh is not the best idea either as it is losing a fortune. Hence our owners are short of cash and looking to cut costs.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 12-07-2023 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Problem is DT is a ****ing idiot so who knows what he will do
    Now THAT is someone we can't account for!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Not just us, the whole league is in trouble. Propping up the girls tbh is not the best idea either as it is losing a fortune. Hence our owners are short of cash and looking to cut costs.
    After seeing how Pirate Danny Townsend capitalized on the 2022 Mens World Cup, I'll be super keen to see what lessons he's learnt heading into this Womens World Cup and what decisions he makes and broadcasts based off the buzz around the cup
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    The first buyer was that close that staff were measuring up for new carpet, furniture etc.

The 25 million came from Townsend's desire to make that standard for new licenses and this flowed onto clubs for sale like us and Perth.

We are not valued by the APL. Everyone at the club has done what they can and cannot be criticised and that includes Shane, who has to make a silk purse out if a sow's ear.

Personally, I have pulled a minor sponsorship for this reason. Not looking good.
    This post bothers me enough to ask the question as to just how involved Townsend is in the sale process. Was his value of the club just his opinion or was he somehow directly involved in pricing the club to prospective buyers.

The reason i ask this is supporters of the club have the right to know if he did have any involvement. He has no direct involvement in any club anymore particularly the three club owners carrying the can for the Jets at present. Any potential sale and negotiating should be strictly between the sellers and prospects and at NO stage should Townsend be getting involved and even worse to the point where his interference potentially shit canned any potential deal to sell the club.
    Last edited by 380; 14-07-2023 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    This post bothers me enough to ask the question as to just how involved Townsend is in the sale process. Was his value of the club just his opinion or was he somehow directly involved in pricing the club to prospective buyers.

The reason i ask this is supporters of the club have the right to know if he did have any involvement. He has no direct involvement in any club anymore particularly the three club owners carrying the can for the Jets at present. Any potential sale and negotiating should be strictly between the sellers and prospects and at NO stage should Townsend be getting involved and even worse to the point where his interference potentially shit canned any potential deal to sell the club.
    Presumably the league has a seat at the table regarding ownership of clubs and approving who can own a club / be involved in the league they operate.
    If the league wants to set a minimum valuation on clubs and won't let any be sold under that, I suppose that is their decision - but they may have overplayed their hand, we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Presumably the league has a seat at the table regarding ownership of clubs and approving who can own a club / be involved in the league they operate.
    If the league wants to set a minimum valuation on clubs and won't let any be sold under that, I suppose that is their decision - but they may have overplayed their hand, we'll just have to wait and see.
    I disagree, Have no problem with the league having a say when it comes to qualifying a prospect for suitability but to actually get involved in what the actual amount paid should be IMO is way out of line. Bit like service NSW telling you what you should sell your vehicle for, Sure form a basis of market value but ultimately your sell price is between you and your potential buyer.

I guess we will never know, The mixed messaging that floats around and comes from people at the club is bewildering. One of the main factors i am tipping behind the complete lack of interest i get from people who no longer wish to become members.

AP was very clear that no party in his time expressed interest in acquiring the club yet the seldom seen or heard Executive Chairman was for one of his fleeting moments quite public that at one point a deal was imminent late last year early this one.

Did anyone hear anything more about the fan representation group where applications closed back in May ?
    Does anyone know the figures Martin Lee and Tinker purchased our licence for ?

Is it time to put our thinking caps on ?
    Can fan passion and rallying unearth a new owner/owners ?
    Probably not but here goes anyway.

In my opinion the best ownership option for the Jets is someone that is from Newcastle or knows the area well.
    How do you find someone from this area who is passionate about football, has some wealth and business connections and is willing to put their money where their mouth is ?
    Does anyone know anyone who fits this description ?

Our best option might be trying to find 4 or 5 of these type of people who can come together and form a consortium to make it financially feasible.
    They don't all have to be "local" people but I really feel it would need some local drive for this to even be a chance of happening.

Does anyone have any ideas for possible candidates ?

There is no way the Jets will be purchased for $25 million!
    For arguments sake lets say a deal can be done for $15 million. So 5 owners would need to put in $3m each.
    Let's say it would require a further $1.5m each season for the owners to fund the team. So 5 owners would need $300,000 each for a season.
    To be one of the 5 owners for a 10 year period would cost the person $6m which includes the purchase.
    I guess the main problem with being an owner is that you will always have to dip into your pockets every season !
    Transfer fees are rare in this league but it's something that needs more work putting into it so owners can recoup some money.

If a consortium of owners purchased us could they then offer fans a 10% share in the day to day running costs of the club ? (150,000 each season)
    Its just an idea as I know fan ownership has been discussed in the past.

Any thoughts or ideas on who could be out there that's suitable ?

I wonder if former newcastle player Andy Roberts could be a candidate ?
    Its hard to know what people's wealth status is.

Let's be positive and see what we can come up with !

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    I disagree, Have no problem with the league having a say when it comes to qualifying a prospect for suitability but to actually get involved in what the actual amount paid should be IMO is way out of line. Bit like service NSW telling you what you should sell your vehicle for, Sure form a basis of market value but ultimately your sell price is between you and your potential buyer.

I guess we will never know, The mixed messaging that floats around and comes from people at the club is bewildering. One of the main factors i am tipping behind the complete lack of interest i get from people who no longer wish to become members.

AP was very clear that no party in his time expressed interest in acquiring the club yet the seldom seen or heard Executive Chairman was for one of his fleeting moments quite public that at one point a deal was imminent late last year early this one.
    I don't think your Service NSW analogy is a good one at all, but I also can't really come up with a good one.

The league is a product. The APL sell their product to consumers through TV rights deals, and look for sponsorship revenue.
    They have franchise agreements or licenses with club owners who participate in their product, and receive a handout from APL each year to do so.
    The club itself should be free to be sold for whatever the owners want as you say, but the club isn't worth much without the license to participate in the league, which the APL has to agree to any ownership transfers of that licence (presumably, I have no knowledge of the licence agreements).

If the APL for whatever reason - establishing valuation for potential new/future licences, not wanting to "devalue" existing licences, or in some cases (I would argue not the case for the A-League, at present anyway) they just want to place an arbitrary restriction on who can afford one as a screening process - want a minimum price on the licences, they can choose to do that.

But if they won't let clubs sell the licence, and the clubs don't want to be involved for whatever reason, sooner or later the clubs just walk away, and then their posturing over what their nominal licence value is collapses around them.

I think when you have seemingly a growing number of club owners losing interest in being in the league, you need to look closer at the finances.
    The league revenue took a big hit with the end of the Fox broadcast deal. If the league isn't bringing in enough money to sustain costs, then arguably the salary cap needs to be reduced to match.
    Some American sports adjust the salary cap based on league revenue and usually end up around 50% of the league revenue going to players - I have no idea how the A-League cap is determined or where it sits in relation to this.

Transfer fees need to be a thing, as the current player contract system is a joke, with "mutual" terminations occurring all the time.

Some changes need to be made to make owning a club a more attractive proposition.
    Losing money running a club is OK, as often people will do this with the view that in future, their licence agreement and thus the club's value, will increase over time.
    If this isn't happening, AND you are set up to have to lose money to run a club, then why would anyone want to be involved?

Quote Originally Posted by R Ramjet View Post
    Did anyone hear anything more about the fan representation group where applications closed back in May ?
    A further survey was sent out around 3 weeks ago to better understand the demographics of each applicant so the club could select a diverse representation.

No word on success or not.

Let's hope they get it right this time, the facebook survey lost half the members, the "fans" survey might lose the rest. Members only voting you knobs
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by R Ramjet View Post
    Does anyone know the figures Martin Lee and Tinker purchased our licence for ?

Is it time to put our thinking caps on ?
    Can fan passion and rallying unearth a new owner/owners ?
    Probably not but here goes anyway.

In my opinion the best ownership option for the Jets is someone that is from Newcastle or knows the area well.
    How do you find someone from this area who is passionate about football, has some wealth and business connections and is willing to put their money where their mouth is ?
    Does anyone know anyone who fits this description ?

Our best option might be trying to find 4 or 5 of these type of people who can come together and form a consortium to make it financially feasible.
    They don't all have to be "local" people but I really feel it would need some local drive for this to even be a chance of happening.

Does anyone have any ideas for possible candidates ?

There is no way the Jets will be purchased for $25 million!
    For arguments sake lets say a deal can be done for $15 million. So 5 owners would need to put in $3m each.
    Let's say it would require a further $1.5m each season for the owners to fund the team. So 5 owners would need $300,000 each for a season.
    To be one of the 5 owners for a 10 year period would cost the person $6m which includes the purchase.
    I guess the main problem with being an owner is that you will always have to dip into your pockets every season !
    Transfer fees are rare in this league but it's something that needs more work putting into it so owners can recoup some money.

If a consortium of owners purchased us could they then offer fans a 10% share in the day to day running costs of the club ? (150,000 each season)
    Its just an idea as I know fan ownership has been discussed in the past.

Any thoughts or ideas on who could be out there that's suitable ?

I wonder if former newcastle player Andy Roberts could be a candidate ?
    Its hard to know what people's wealth status is.

Let's be positive and see what we can come up with !
    Is BlackMac still around? Was BlackMac the one that did a fair bit of work on a community ownership model? I'd go back and check, but i think it was probably about 5 forum crashes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Is BlackMac still around? Was BlackMac the one that did a fair bit of work on a community ownership model? I'd go back and check, but i think it was probably about 5 forum crashes ago.
    Yep that?s him. Haven?t seen him on the Foz for years but see him around on Reddit.