Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Papas Out

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Either of the Z crew, Zads or Zane
    quickest way to further destroy the jets is to appoint zadcovich.
    good luck- to the jets, if he is appointed- next year will be the last of their existence.

Every coach wants to test themselves at the highest levels they can - and there will always be coaches wanting one of the 12 A-League gigs going.

But they're coming into one of, if not the most unstable gig in the league.

We are the least attractive of all the clubs and I think anything above the wooden spoon will be a success at this point in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I’m holding out the smallest glimmer of hope that this could maybe mean that the club might be sold, and whoever is selling it didn’t want Papas but I’m also highly aware that that’s not true and this really could be a death knell for the club

The fact that he's rumoured to be heading back overseas as an assistant instead of waiting here for new owners to come in and hopefully improve things is what I'm most worried about.

There's absolutely zero rumours of any owners being involved in negotiations, and if there was even a chance we were being sold there would at absolute worst be something floating around by now about who they were or where they were at. We have nothing.

Another off season worrying about even making the first round looks to be on the cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    The fact that he's rumoured to be heading back overseas as an assistant instead of waiting here for new owners to come in and hopefully improve things is what I'm most worried about.

There's absolutely zero rumours of any owners being involved in negotiations, and if there was even a chance we were being sold there would at absolute worst be something floating around by now about who they were or where they were at. We have nothing.

Another off season worrying about even making the first round looks to be on the cards.
    This and also you would have to be the eternal optimist if you think the other club owners have not gone beyond the point of getting any return on there investment now.

They are not a benevolent society so yeh even making Rd 1 may very well be highly questionable. All this at a time the club is signing kiddies , Keeping players who would not make the bench at ten other clubs and now the coach exits.

FWIW i am all for providing D Zane an opportunity at this level or even Wilkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Its one of the great joys in life opening that email to see if he had in fact resigned or just re-signed for another 3 years.

The anticipation is fantastic.

Anyway, Venables or we riot.

Cheers,
    plague.
    Took me until the bit about "search for a new coach" to finally understand.

We aren't getting sold and no one is buying us. Club is on it's last legs. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded. Just find some way to enjoy it while it's here

Ncl Herald:

A-League soccer, 2023: Newcastle Jets in search for new coach after Arthur Papas resigns

By James Gardiner
    Updated June 19 2023 - 1:15pm, first published 12:19pm

The Newcastle Jets are on the hunt for a new coach after the resignation of Arthur Papas on Monday.

Papas had a year to run on his contract in Newcastle but has been linked to a return to Asia.

The Jets began preseason testing on Monday and tackle Melbourne Victory in the Australian Cup play-off in Darwin on July 17.Training is scheduled to begin later this week.

Papas, 43, has spent two years at the helm, in which the club missed the play-offs, finishing ninth and 10th.

Assistant coach Arthur Diles has also resigned and is expected to join Melbourne Victory as an assistant coach.

Women's coach and academy boss Gary Van Egmond and youth team coach Damien Zane remain at the club and are likely to take charge of the A-League squad in the interim.

Van Egmond has served two stints as head coach, famously guiding the club to its only championship in 2008.

Former Jets captain Ruben Zadkovich recently parted ways with Perth Glory. A number of other former players, including Labinot Haliti and Adam Griffiths, are coaching NPL clubs or are assistants at other A-League franchises.

Jets executive chairman Shane Mattiske issued a statement confirming Papas' exit.

"Whilst the departure of Arthur has only just been confirmed, we have been aware of the potential of a change and in the background have been considering a number of potential candidates," he said in a statement. "We will now accelerate and close discussions with the aim of minimising the impact on team preparations."

As well as prepare for the Australia Cup qualifier, a new coach has at least four places to fill on the playing roster.

Jason Hoffman and Kosta Grozos are understood to have agreed to new deal, which would take the list to 19

The player Papas has already brought in are young or fringe players.

Replacements for Beka Mikeltadze, Jaush Sotirio, Angus Thurgate and Manabu Saito are yet to be signed.

Papas has expressed publicly his frustration at the ownership situation at the Jets. For a third season the club will be bankrolled by the owners of four rivals clubs.

He has previously worked in India and Japan, where he was assistant to Ange Postecoglou at Yokohama F Marinos.

"Arthur came to us as an Australian coach who had built strong experience overseas throughout his career," Mattiske said. "Over the past month Arthur has been transparent with the club that he was considering a return to working abroad. This has now been confirmed and although we are disappointed to see him depart, we respect his wishes".
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Coaches have gone soft.
    It only took 2 pages for this to work !

Quote Originally Posted by R Ramjet View Post
    Coaches have gone soft.
    It only took 2 pages for this to work !
    Nah, that just says how dead this forum has become over the past 10 years.

No one really cares any more.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Nah, that just says how dead this forum has become over the past 10 years.

No one really cares any more.
    Is that because you haven't been around
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Caught the end of the ACL the other night (Buriram v City).

Aside from being probably the best quality picture I have seen so far from P+, it was a nice surprise to see Uncle Arthur shouting from the sideline. His side lost 2-0, looked OK but couldn't finish.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Bloke turned out to be jerk. Anyone who thought he can coach cannot understand the game
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Bloke turned out to be jerk. Anyone who thought he can coach cannot understand the game
    Did something new happen or get revealed??
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

He beat City with Buriram. Papas is a genius.