Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023/24 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    James McGarry looking like going to Aberdeen on a 6 figure transfer fee. That money could have gone to the jets.
    I'm all for shitting on our management here, but Aberdeen being dumb enough to pay for a player with 4 or 5 decent games in the last 3 season can't exactly be the Jets fault. He started off great down there and that was about it, he looked good when they won and poor when they lost, just like he did with us. He was subbed off in almost all of the games he played for them, so he mustn't have been too important. Good on him getting the move tho, he can move into a home that's not on wheels again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I'm all for shitting on our management here, but Aberdeen being dumb enough to pay for a player with 4 or 5 decent games in the last 3 season can't exactly be the Jets fault. He started off great down there and that was about it, he looked good when they won and poor when they lost, just like he did with us. He was subbed off in almost all of the games he played for them, so he mustn't have been too important. Good on him getting the move tho, he can move into a home that's not on wheels again.
    Agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Apparently Kerala Blasters are interested in signing Trent Buhagair

Honestly would be a great thing - get some money for the bloke and then put it towards someone actually competent
    Interesting if this comes off. Leaves us very short up top with Goodwin out for the Australia Cup in 10 days.

I'd hope we could use the money to contribute to an upgraded striker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Maybe not the jets fault, but handy money made by the Mariners for a player that was a jet.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Maybe not the jets fault, but handy money made by the Mariners for a player that was a jet.
    CCM must have some connections. Wonder how their balance sheet is looking.

I thought Goodwin was supposed to have back surgery right after the end of the season... what happened there?

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    I thought Goodwin was supposed to have back surgery right after the end of the season... what happened there?
    It happened. He recovered.
    FMD, he recovered better and quicker from back surgery than I do from a night out.

https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2023/07/2...turns-to-form/
    Video says surgery was 8 weeks prior to MV game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    It happened. He recovered.
    FMD, he recovered better and quicker from back surgery than I do from a night out.
    Must have something to do with being 18
    (I have the same problem)

Thanks for the update

If the Newcastle Jets are so broke, how do we keep outbidding Bayern Munich for Jason Hoffman's signature every time his contract comes up for renewal ?
    The new French bloke has a lot of experience playing park football - he should find the Jets a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    CCM must have some connections. Wonder how their balance sheet is looking.
    it will need to.

https://www.caravancampingsales.com....coming-135981/

I think it's worrying that management seems to have given up on the men's team and are only signing players for the women's team these days, no complaints as we want a strong women's team, but no strengthening of the men's team at all is a bit depressing really...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    I think it's worrying that management seems to have given up on the men's team and are only signing players for the women's team these days, no complaints as we want a strong women's team, but no strengthening of the men's team at all is a bit depressing really...
    You mean re-signing Noah James doesn't excite you?
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

What do you mean we aren't strengthening the men's team? Didn't you see the article that says they're lifting heavier in the gym?

whats happening here is as follows

Mens team folds at the completion of this upcoming season.

A Women's team shall be retained to fly the flag in a national comp.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    You mean re-signing Noah James doesn't excite you?
    as a plus side on this, I'd like to see him as our first-choice keeper before season's end... can only live in hope etc.

Banned
    as a plus side on this, I'd like to see him as our first-choice keeper before season's end... can only live in hope etc.
    If we gonna be shit we might as well give contracts to Topor Stanley and BK

We can't be that far away from them being our best players

Lowey's a bit pessimistic to say the least:

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...newcastle-jets

The Lowedown: The odds are stacked against the Newcastle Jets
    By David Lowe
    October 20 2023 - 8:00am

Jets veteran talks about new position and what it will do for his caree.
    Righto Lowe, I said to myself, let's approach this positively, find an angle to concentrate on, and get excited.

Unfortunately I can't at this stage, and that is about the saddest thing I've had to write as a columnist in 30 years.

The players deserve better, the fans deserve better, and the youth of tomorrow deserve better. However, after just one play-off experience in the past decade and a bit, there aren't too many signs of a turnaround.

The club will again face a season where their finances, their ambition, indeed their very existence, will be reliant on a small group of owners from other participants in the league whose only real interest in the Jets is to keep them afloat to attend to TV-rights requirements, and the number of teams in the competition. The negotiations with prospective new owners (which group are we up to now?) have made Julian Assange's trials and tribulations seem expedient, and nothing seems likely to change. Ask Ange if you like!

Rob Stanton seems like a very likeable, practical coach but forget last Saturday, a true Everest awaits him and his team in the coming months. I'm sure there is a squad of young men full of hope and enthusiasm dying to prove me wrong, and I will salute you if you do, but in my eyes they have been set up to fail. Yet again.

Certainly there are talented players in Rene Piscopo and Jason Berthomier, whose resume reads very respectably, but in the myriad of players who exited the club in the close season, there were Angus Thurgate and Beka Mikeltadze, who were clearly their best performers.

We can hope that some of the relatively unknown youngsters will provide optimism, energy and entertainment this season, but it's too much to expect half a dozen to make a breakthrough.

There is enough pace in the team to be an awkward proposition for opponents on the counter, and Stanton will want that function of the team working productively.

At this time of year, I always remember the wise words of a former coach of mine, who steadfastly maintains that you need close to 50 goals a season to be challenging. Where are they going to come from?

Newcastle, I sense, will need to be very frugal at the other end to compete.

There may be a sense that the overall standard of the competition will provide some respite, as it's hardly gone forward in leaps and bounds in recent years. I'm expecting Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory to improve after stuttering form for most of last season, but given the recruitment to this point, any ascent may not necessarily be rapid.

Melbourne City have lost some key personnel. Their grand final opponents, the Mariners, have lost the boss Nick Montgomery and many of their coaching staff, so it will be interesting to see if they retain their personality.

Adelaide will likely provide vigour, thrills and spills, and entertainment, but need to address their defensive record, and cut out the 4-4 thrillers. Brisbane will play good football, but may be short of a cutting edge.

To me, the team best equipped to seriously challenge this year should be the Wanderers. They were excellent last year, until Sydney stung them in the finals, and they have made a couple of key local additions. If their international recruitment is spot on, they will be very hard to beat.

I really do hope the Jets surprise me, but history suggests a familiar narrative. Until there is money for players, a clear plan, and home-grown players emerging from a glacial production line, it will be a battle. We should be accustomed to that, and the fight continues.

Have an enjoyable season everyone.

A bit more upbeat from Jimmy compared to Lowey
    https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...all-fairy-tale

A-League Men, 2023: Jets import Jason Berthomier writing next chapter in football fairy tale

By James Gardiner
    October 19 2023 - 8:29pm

Jets’ French import Jason Berthomier on life in Newcastle and his new teammates.

IT was the end to a cest une tr?s belle histoire for Jets' French midfielder Jason Berthomier. A beautiful story.

A football fairy tale that began as a 20-year-old amateur playing with his mates at Montlucon in the sixth division of French football.

Its final chapter, playing for Clermont Ferrand in Ligue One against Paris Saint-Germain, led by superstars Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe, Neymar Junior and Sergio Ramis at the Stade Gabriel Montpied.

"It was a very good moment, an important moment in my career, for sure," Berthomier said.

"To go up to Ligue one with my hometown club and play against PSG and their big players ... it was a very beautiful story of football for me.

"In France, I start as an amateur and finish in Ligue One. It is not a classical pathway, but I am very happy to have done it that way.

"I said to my wife and family that the game was finished in France for me.

"When you play PlayStation, if you finish the game, you don't start [at a lower level] again."

Berthomier was sold to Valenciennes at the end of the 2021-22 season. He gave 100 per cent for the Ligue Two club but longed for a new adventure.

Enter the Newcastle Jets.

"I had a two-year contract at Valenciennes," Berthomier said. "My agent was in Australia for the women's World Cup. At a game, he spoke with [Australian-based agent] Fahid Ben Khalfallah, who has known me for many years.

"Last year it was not possible for me to come. This year it was possible to get out of Vallicennes.

"I spoke with Fahid and [Brisbane's French midfielder] Florin Berenguer.

"My first question was about football. Is it good? I want to play good football. I don't just want to go to the beach.

"Fahid said that the lifestyle is very good, it is very different for you and your kids. The football is good, it is league one here. It may not be a big football country but it is league one. The level is very good."

Berthomier, wife Moeva and boys Andres, 5, and Bastian, 1, touched down in Newcastle on September 5.

The 33-year-old playmaker will make his A-League debut against Perth Glory in the in the season-opener at HBF Park on Sunday.

"We are ready," Berthomier said. "We have a very good attitude to football. All players are on board with the coach's ideas. That is very important. It is a good group with very good guys. I am excited.

"The football is not totally different [to France] but a bit different. I think, the players here are very athletic. Maybe, it is better tactically and technically in France.

"To me, here is the same level as Ligue Two in France.

"The young players in Australia have a very good mentality. They are always smiling and want to work hard."

There is always an element of risk in signing foreigners in the A-league.

Resumes, highlights reels and price tags don't always tell the complete story.

For every success - think Besart Berisha, Thomas Broich - there have been abject failures.

Jets coach Rob Stanton was looking for a centreback when Berthomier was offered up as an option.

"It can be hit and miss," Jets coach Rob Stanton said. "When you are scouting - talking to people and getting references - sometimes you see things in a player that says a lot about character, about who they are.

"There were a lot of flags that said Jason was a good person and I am seeing that. I had this gut feeling that he was the right guy.

"You can see him talking to younger players now. He and Kosta Grozos are getting on really well. He is working with them and building those connections, which is important to have. I'm very happy we got him."

Off the pitch, Berthomier and his family are also finding their feet.

His sons have started kindergarten and daycare and his wife has found work.

"Newcastle is a beautiful city. When we arrived, we were in the park and started talking to a French man, who came here a year ago," Berthomier said.

"He invited us to join a Whatsapp Group: Frenchy Newcastle. Last week they asked if anyone knew any people who were after work. I replied: my wife, but she doesn't speak English. That was not a problem."

Stanton has been blown away by Berthomier's eagerness to embrace Newcastle life.

"I can't believe how quickly he has thrown himself into it," Stanton said. "We had a family day with players and their wives and kids. It was like Jason had been here two or three years.

"It's terrific what he is doing. They want to get involved in the community and become part of it. That is not always the case. It is such a big win."

Berthomier, a left footer, is adept anywhere in midfield. Against Perth he will be deployed in a deep role, in the absence of suspended skipper Brandon O'Neill.

"Jason is suited to that deeper role," Stanton said. "He can control the tempo, switch play, help us get out of tight areas, start play ... he has a calmness on the ball under pressure.

"He is also very good at set pieces. I think there is a final pass in him as well. He has a killer ball when he gets free. As we progress as a team, and we venture into the opposition half with more control, I think you will see that passing range and the extras he has in the kitty.

"He is a good footballer. That is why we brought him here. He is bringing all the things a young team needs."

What?s the go with that brollo guy still in and around the club ? i thought he got the sack ? The guy has issues wanting to hung around to try and look important.
    All he does is picks up cones and bibs
    get a life !

Langerak has announced he wants to return to the A League. If any clubs needs him, it is the jets