Page 6 of 101 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News 2012

I just remembered one of the funnier bits of news from when the forum was down.

Belinda Neal chased for soccer club tax debt

THE tax office is pursuing former federal MP Belinda Neal for a $1.4million debt.

The debt has nothing to do with Ms Neal’s personal finances.

Instead, the Deputy Commissioner of Taxation has singled out Ms Neal to sue personally over a tax debt owed by the Central Coast Mariners Football Club.

For six years Ms Neal was a director of the Mariners, the A-league minor premiers for the past two years, until her resignation in November.

In choosing to pursue Ms Neal, the tax office ignored her five male co-directors at the time.

This has forced Ms Neal to commence her own legal action, cross-suing the Mariners along with its chairman Peter Turnbull, England-based property developer and co-owner Kevin McCabe, part-owner Michael Charlesworth, director and Wyong mayor Bob Graham and former director Lyall Gorman, executive chairman of the A-League.

Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull said yesterday the club had been ‘‘negotiating and working with the tax office’’ and he expected the matter to be resolved soon.

Mr Turnbull said he did not know why Ms Neal had been singled out by the tax office.

A statement of claim tendered in the NSW Supreme Court claims the defendant, Belinda Jane Neal, ‘‘was at the relevant times a director of the company’’. As such, she became liable to pay the tax office a total of $1.2million tax. With penalties and filing fees, the total amount being claimed is $1,447,639.

Ms Neal did not return the Herald’s calls and her solicitor Michael Osborne, the former NSW president of the Liberal party, declined to comment.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...t/2577436.aspx

lululul

Anyone know if this is resolved yet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I didn't boo Weak Ankles because he was a former Newcastle Player. I did it because he's a useless fat khunt.
    Gospel.

With regard to WSW collecting all this dead wood once you light a fire under dead wood it burns pretty hot so they will be very interesting to watch in their first few matches. Whether they can maintain the heat will be a totally different matter.

A lot of their players will have a lot to prove. So it will be fun to watch them kick the shite out of the smurfs. Bit of luck they will pick up injuries.

and the shite out of us

Jets surpass 4k Members

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets has reached its 4000th Member on Monday morning, in just the second week of the 2012/13 Membership Campaign.

This year the Club is aiming to build its Membership to 11,000 on the back of its successful 10,000 Membership target last season.

The Club is thrilled with the response of the Hunter community and the Jets are well positioned to have one of the biggest Memberships in the A-League.

Last year, the Jets had the second biggest Membership in the A-League, behind only Melbourne Victory.

The 2012/13 Membership packages offer the same affordable prices as last season. Plus there are great benefits for Members, including the incredible Junior Pack!

Community Reserved Membership start from $115 Adult, $60 Junior and $260 Families.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...-Members/47925
    Decent start, but I guess a few of those would be the auto renewals.

Never trust whole numbers. Club is lying.

Griffiths open to Jets return

Australian striker Joel Griffiths revealed he could be heading back to the A-League next season – with former club Newcastle Jets his preferred destination.
    Griffiths relishing Drogba link-up
    Griffiths, who was player of the year and golden boot with 12 goals as Newcastle won the title in 2008, is enduring a frustrating fourth year in China with new club Shanghai Shenhua – the home of Didier Drogba – which is in free-fall.

To make matters worse, Griffiths has been plagued by a niggling knee injury and hasn't played for two months.

He joined big-spending Shanghai, which also snared brooding Frenchman Nicolas Anelka pre season, after three successful years at high flying Beijing Guoan.

Griffiths has been linked with a return to his former stomping ground in China but insists he is unlikely to be going anywhere until his contract expires in December, with the A-League foremost in his thinking beyond that.

"Returning to Australia at the end of my contract is definitely a strong possibility," Griffiths said. "My wife and I have talked about it lately and it’s certainly on the cards.

"I have been in China four years year and it's been a great adventure but it’s a long time and I am more than open to the prospect of coming home.

"I've said I want to return to Australia at some stage with my family and I can see a move happening sooner rather than later.

"If it happens, the Jets would be my first choice. Hopefully the fact I'm a proven scorer, somebody who can get maybe 10 a season, would work in my favour and make me attractive to teams."

Still a cult figure at the Jets, Griffiths, who turns 33 next month, still believes he has plenty to offer prospective suitors.

"Obviously I can also play on the right wing, which I have been doing with Shanghai in the games I've played so far this season, not that's its necessarily my preference," he said.

"My body feels good, I'm in good shape overall. I do quite a bit of pilates and have never had any major injuries. Touch wood, I will hopefully to able to play at a good level for another three or four years.

"I am back in training with Shanghai and I am keen to get back playing as soon as I can. That said, it makes no sense to rush things and risk setting myself back.

"Things happen for a reason and I will stay positive and bide my time. It's not serious, it's more of a niggle."

Sidelined for two months with fluid on his left knee, Griffiths – who has scored twice in seven appearances this season – remains a figure of frustration as Shanghai slumps in the Chinese Super League. The club is only two spots above the drop zone, with just 15 points and 11 goals from 14 games this season.

Drogba, not due in China until mid July, is walking in a potential hornets nest in Shanghai, according to Griffiths.

"It's pretty scary over here right now and the club's in a bit of turmoil," he said.

"Nic Anelka even got attacked by one of our on fans after the game at the weekend. That's crazy stuff."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...to-Jets-return

yep

Quote Originally Posted by robnuts View Post
    "My body feels good, I'm in good shape overall. I do quite a bit of pilates and have never had any major injuries. Touch wood, I will hopefully to able to play at a good level for another three or four years.
    I think thats what most Jets fans will be doing after reading this article..

TWG has been pretty accurate with its linking of players to ws, so hopefully they are right again.

could have warned us before you put that article up. now ive got dirty pants to clean

Quote Originally Posted by coastiehater View Post
    could have warned us before you put that article up. now ive got dirty pants to clean
    Haha yeah should have been NSFW

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    good to see the annual "griff wants to come home" article right on time.

bring griff home

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    The deal is done, Griffs coming home

Jets sign Swiss defender Dominik Ritter as Joel Griffiths hints at possible return

BY ROBERT DILLON
    03 Jul, 2012 04:00 AM

SWISS DEFENDER: Dominik Ritter

THE Newcastle Jets have moved swiftly to fill the void left by Nikolai Topor-Stanley’s departure, signing Swiss defender Dominik Ritter to a one-year deal.

And former Newcastle legend Joel Griffiths has fuelled speculation about a possible homecoming, telling SBS website The World Game yesterday that the Jets would be his first preference if he was to return from China.

Ritter, pictured, is a former Swiss under-20 representative who played in the under21s for FC Basel and one Europa League match in the first team.

The 23-year-old has spent the past two years playing for FC Winterthur in the Swiss Challenge League (second-tier) competition, making six appearances last season and 19 in 2010-11.

He is the second confirmed overseas import on Newcastle’s roster, joining English veteran Michael Bridges.

“Dominik can play as full-back, which is his preferred position, or a left-side stopper,” Jets coach Gary van Egmond said in a club statement yesterday.

“He has a lot of pace, he will suit our style of play and we will have good competition for spots in the backs.

“He is at a good age to be coming here, he has his best years ahead of him and we look forward to welcoming him to Newcastle and having him at the Jets.”

Topor-Stanley signed with new franchise Western Sydney Wanderers last week, after the Jets persuaded him – via a pay-out – to walk away from the last season of his contract.

Van Egmond added that any more signings ‘‘will be in the front third’’.

That could augur well for Griffiths, who appears to be homesick after four years in China.

He has not played for his new club Shanghai Shenhua for two months because of a knee injury and is off-contract in December.

If he sees out that deal, he could be available to play in the business end of the A-League campaign.

‘‘Returning to Australia at the end of my contract is definitely a strong possibility,’’ Griffiths told The World Game. ‘‘My wife and I have talked about it lately and it’s certainly on the cards.

‘‘I have been in China for four years and it’s been a great adventure, but it’s a long time and I am more than open to the prospect of coming home.

‘‘I’ve said I want to return to Australia at some stage with my family and I can see a move happening sooner rather than later.

‘‘If it happens, the Jets would be my first choice. Hopefully the fact I’m a proven scorer, somebody who can get maybe 10 a season, would work in my favour and make me attractive to teams.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...n/2610912.aspx
    Come home Griff!

So much cover at the back now, how's Goodwin feeling, left heart for a first team spot now this bloke signs up, unless they see him more in the midfield.

In that shot he looks like he could stand to drop 10kg.
    Too much of his own product by the looks of it.

Last edited by GazFish35; 03-07-2012 at 09:04 AM.

he looks like a garn, to be honest

Hang on, sign a player in his mid 30s with a dicky knee. Haven't we already done this?

No but seriously HSG should just make this happen, if not to just settle a few hearts that will be racing just at the thought of this happening.