Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NEW FM League thread

I never said the punishment wasn't required but 4 weeks is an over-reaction. I know the refs have a shortage and I in fact did ref for a little bit a few years back, albeit at a junior level. Did a few Metro League games as it was then known and the parents and coaches hurled a fair bit of abuse.

As for the Ref Recognition Round, I myself don't disagree with the whole idea. But I spoke to one of the refs on Sunday about it and he didn't notice any change and neither did I. I ran the PA system at Westy and Belswans on the weekend so maybe should have mentioned it but the main idea was for players, coaches and onlookers to quieten down. It was a normal day at the office in both games. I made a point in my latest write-up about some parents in Belswans 17's that were chirpy to opposition players and especially the ref and of course Westy's fans are backwards in going forward when it comes to blasting the refs. Overall I thought a couple of posters at the ground and a Facebook post by one or two clubs could have been better.

I fully agree with the idea of RRR. Anything to help encourage the refs to stay in the game.

However NNSW Football need to practice what they preach.
    I was talking to a young referee who did a shift at David Eland Park (SPRFF) on Saturday and received no recognition at all.

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Looking at the latest points table. Things are starting to hot up for the minor premiership. Can anyone other than Belswans beat Lakes???? Can Kahibah field a full strength team or use this as an excuse??? It's a little more interesting at the top than in previous years. The run in should be good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho_theswan View Post
    Looking at the latest points table. Things are starting to hot up for the minor premiership. Can anyone other than Belswans beat Lakes???? Can Kahibah field a full strength team or use this as an excuse??? It's a little more interesting at the top than in previous years. The run in should be good to watch.
    Kahibah have an extra game. Will be very interesting if they down Lakes on the weekend but they've got upwards of six starters out for various reasons. Not trying to make excuses for them but it makes it tough. Belswans IMO deserve to finish above Lakes after beating them twice. Even if Lakes lift the minor premiership, Belswans still have the wood over them and a potential Grand Final clash would be quiet something.

On a personal level, I would have liked to have seen a bit more competition from the chasing pack to make the top four. After Wallsend lost their points I've been pulling for the likes of Westy and Thornton to grab a result here and there and make it interesting. The settled nature of the 1st grade top four is made a bit better by the wide open U23's competition where it seems no team can take the next step forward apart from Lakes obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by NewyTy View Post
    Kahibah have an extra game. Will be very interesting if they down Lakes on the weekend but they've got upwards of six starters out for various reasons. Not trying to make excuses for them but it makes it tough. Belswans IMO deserve to finish above Lakes after beating them twice. Even if Lakes lift the minor premiership, Belswans still have the wood over them and a potential Grand Final clash would be quiet something.

On a personal level, I would have liked to have seen a bit more competition from the chasing pack to make the top four. After Wallsend lost their points I've been pulling for the likes of Westy and Thornton to grab a result here and there and make it interesting. The settled nature of the 1st grade top four is made a bit better by the wide open U23's competition where it seems no team can take the next step forward apart from Lakes obviously.
    Thankfully there is reward for consistency across the season against all teams. By your thinking the jets should have deserved to finish above Brisbane and victory in the past few aleague seasons when they had the wood over them. Obviously Belswans turn up for the big games and or have the structure and game plan to beat lakes.

I don't think the NewFM table is as cut and dried and people are saying.
    There isn't much between the top six teams or so and any could beat any of them on their day.

There may well be a twist to the season as player depth is tested due to suspensions and injury in the remaining quarter of the season.
    Due to the excessive number of cards handed out each week to all teams there will be players sitting on 4+ yellow cards. Serious suspensions are in play for excessive yellows.
    My understanding is that:
    5 yellows = 1 week suspension,
    6 yellows = 2 weeks
    7 yellows = 3 weeks etc.

Given that Wallsend and Westy have obviously had players on 5+ cards for weeks now given their stripping of points I suspect all clubs will have players in serious suspension trouble leading up to the backend of the season.

Means some interesting decisions will need to be made by clubs in semi final contention.
    For example, lets say team A is going to make the finals, their key player B has 5 yellow cards for the season and there is still 2 rounds to go.
    Do you rest him for the last two rounds to ensure he is available for the semi finals or do you play him in the last two rounds and run the risk of a 6th yellow card which would rule him out of one or both semi finals?

I still rate Thornton a chance of beating Wallsend to 4th place - they do need to beat them this weekend though.

Quote Originally Posted by LongSufferingFan View Post
    I don't think the NewFM table is as cut and dried and people are saying.
    There isn't much between the top six teams or so and any could beat any of them on their day.

There may well be a twist to the season as player depth is tested due to suspensions and injury in the remaining quarter of the season.
    Due to the excessive number of cards handed out each week to all teams there will be players sitting on 4+ yellow cards. Serious suspensions are in play for excessive yellows.
    My understanding is that:
    5 yellows = 1 week suspension,
    6 yellows = 2 weeks
    7 yellows = 3 weeks etc.

Given that Wallsend and Westy have obviously had players on 5+ cards for weeks now given their stripping of points I suspect all clubs will have players in serious suspension trouble leading up to the backend of the season.

Means some interesting decisions will need to be made by clubs in semi final contention.
    For example, lets say team A is going to make the finals, their key player B has 5 yellow cards for the season and there is still 2 rounds to go.
    Do you rest him for the last two rounds to ensure he is available for the semi finals or do you play him in the last two rounds and run the risk of a 6th yellow card which would rule him out of one or both semi finals?

I still rate Thornton a chance of beating Wallsend to 4th place - they do need to beat them this weekend though.
    It's a little off point but the example you have put forward is a great example of how poor refereeing decisions can effect the outcome of a clubs season. Every club now has to tolerate the issue of referees who are both inexperienced and lack true football knowledge and therefore are making rash decisions and booking players for challenges that should in some case not even be a free kick.

A good strong center half will get 5 yellow cards or more in a season, why should he cop suspensions? Shouldn't we have the best players playing?

This yellow card suspension rule is a silly rule at best and seriously needs to be looked at in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    It's a little off point but the example you have put forward is a great example of how poor refereeing decisions can effect the outcome of a clubs season. Every club now has to tolerate the issue of referees who are both inexperienced and lack true football knowledge and therefore are making rash decisions and booking players for challenges that should in some case not even be a free kick.

A good strong center half will get 5 yellow cards or more in a season, why should he cop suspensions? Shouldn't we have the best players playing?

This yellow card suspension rule is a silly rule at best and seriously needs to be looked at in the future.
    An interesting point of view zico.

Whether a referee is experienced or not, players who accumulate yellow cards obviously don't learn from their 'rash decisions' during numerous matches. It is very easy to blame refs for dealing out the cards and using them as scapegoats. Players know what they are doing when they go in for a challenge.

There are even times when a player gets away without a card when they really deserved one.

everyone complains of refs throwing around cards at the start of the season but never say anything about how a certain player tackles, which if they do accumulate cards, all of a sudden they are not so cynical or dirty when challenging for the ball when a suspension looms.

Easy way to avoid getting 5 Yellow Cards

If you are sitting on 4 Yellows and receive your 5th in a game, make sure you get a Second Yellow to get sent off.

Because the Red Card cancels out the Yellow Cards from that game, so you will perpetually on 4 Yellows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
    Easy way to avoid getting 5 Yellow Cards

If you are sitting on 4 Yellows and receive your 5th in a game, make sure you get a Second Yellow to get sent off.

Because the Red Card cancels out the Yellow Cards from that game, so you will perpetually on 4 Yellows.
    I recall hearing somewhere that if you get a 2nd red in a season it is a 2 match ban, so if that is true your scenario would only be of benefit for the 6th yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post

Or the players could take some responsibility for their own actions. They could simply not foul players and follow the laws of the game, the same ones the referees use to determine yellow cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Or the players could take some responsibility for their own actions. They could simply not foul players and follow the laws of the game, the same ones the referees use to determine yellow cards.
    Take your do-gooder hat of for a minute and understand what was posted!
    Have you been to many matches in the past few seasons? Some of the cards handed out are no fault of the player as they were within the rules but the referee had no idea or very little football knowledge and as a result they have a rush of blood and pull the card.
    We now have very young people coming through who are still not mature enough, have little football knowledge (great at reading the rule book) and have even less man management skills. This is no fault of theirs as they are being pushed in the deep end before their time and therefore these decisions are being made and the players are paying the price.
    I am totally against players receiving suspensions for yellow cards and even more so in the current climate of fast tracking referees.

Stags too good for belswans today

Go the gunners

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Go the gunners
    Good game today with Cooks Hill but winning comfortably in the end 3-1.
    Southy making a late run with 7 points out of a possible 9 in their last 3 games but at least 4 games over the season where they have either drawn or lost in the last few minutes have cost them any chance of making the semis.
    Former Jets Youth player Nic Pepper has been a good addition in recent weeks.

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Quote Originally Posted by mervan View Post
    Stags too good for belswans today
    True that. Turn up with a few off the pace and a couple with their heads not in the game and you get caught / found out. Although, the game should have over at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho_theswan View Post
    True that. Turn up with a few off the pace and a couple with their heads not in the game and you get caught / found out. Although, the game should have over at half time.
    Agree, belswans got frustrated and whilst it is at 1nil the other mob is always in it. This was very similar to the first round with belswans dominating possession but unable to create enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mervan View Post
    Agree, belswans got frustrated and whilst it is at 1nil the other mob is always in it. This was very similar to the first round with belswans dominating possession but unable to create enough.
    Newysports predicted a 7 nil to belswans, not saying his prediction wasn't without some foundation, it is maybe like a 150-1 horse winning the race or is it, it was only a two horse race, lesson to be learned here.

Any news floating around of coaching changes, any late player movements?

Also in reference to the stags, have heard a few promising things are happening, as Jose once said- "The title race is between two horses (Kahibah and lakes) and a little horse (belswans ) that needs milk and needs to learn how to jump," he said. "Maybe next season we can race." stags will finish top 4 next year

Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    Any news floating around of coaching changes, any late player movements?

Also in reference to the stags, have heard a few promising things are happening, as Jose once said- "The title race is between two horses (Kahibah and lakes) and a little horse (belswans ) that needs milk and needs to learn how to jump," he said. "Maybe next season we can race." stags will finish top 4 next year
    If they are even in Newfm, , also could be a high profile coach and a very good technical director on their way there in 2017