Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Premier Club SAP

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I reckon there were about 5 or so boys from Magic, 3ish from Olympic, New Lambton & Jaffas, 1-2 from Edgy, Lake Mac, Azzuri & Maitland, 1 from valentine and maybe 1-2 others from the rest of the clubs who stood out enough to make it.
    So there was 12 TSP kids picked in all for the 10s. Of the Big clubs 3 from Olympic, 3 from Magic, 1 from Jaffas. Other 5 frm New Lambton, Lake Mac, Weston, Edgy and Valentine. I was told no goalkeepers and that kids picked are similar type - small & skillful. Also got told that that clubs were involved in selecting kids by telling Northern who to look at. Northern would then only go and watch those kids. So if your club ain't told Northern about your kid then your kid ain't getting a look.

In 11s there was some changes from last year so Northern do change things a bit but not a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    Anyone heard any info about formats for next year yet? We're almost sure it's going to be 1 game instead of 2.
    Defo 1 game per week 30 mins halves.

Any one know who coaches the tsp kids? Leo bertos wud be one, but are others Northern coaches or people brought in from clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    So there was 12 TSP kids picked in all for the 10s. Of the Big clubs 3 from Olympic, 3 from Magic, 1 from Jaffas. Other 5 frm New Lambton, Lake Mac, Weston, Edgy and Valentine. I was told no goalkeepers and that kids picked are similar type - small & skillful. Also got told that that clubs were involved in selecting kids by telling Northern who to look at. Northern would then only go and watch those kids. So if your club ain't told Northern about your kid then your kid ain't getting a look.

In 11s there was some changes from last year so Northern do change things a bit but not a lot.
    Seems a very strange way to go about it. The young boy from Jaffas who got in is a very handy kid in exactly the mold you described above. However there are a couple other boys at the exact same level of ability and one boy who is slightly different in that he is a slightly bigger kid who is strong on the ball but is an outstanding defender, I honestly thought if anyone got in TSP it would have been him.

TBF though. Trying to pick 12 out of 200+ SAP kids in each age group would be a nightmare. Especially when there is so many kids very close in ability.

Seems a very strange way to go about it. The young boy from Jaffas who got in is a very handy kid in exactly the mold you described above. However there are a couple other boys at the exact same level of ability and one boy who is slightly different in that he is a slightly bigger kid who is strong on the ball but is an outstanding defender, I honestly thought if anyone got in TSP it would have been him.
    I was told that jets are always looking for that no.10 player, so if a kid ain't Messi sized he might not get a fair go. Problem is that when you watch jets youth they are all the same players and they don't have any size or strength. And they get flogged most weeks.

if jets ain't looking to develop kids of different strength & positions then the future ain't gonna be very bright is it.

I was told that jets are always looking for that no.10 player, so if a kid ain't Messi sized he might not get a fair go. Problem is that when you watch jets youth they are all the same players and they don't have any size or strength. And they get flogged most weeks.

if jets ain't looking to develop kids of different strength & positions then the future ain't gonna be very bright is it.
    Seems a ridiculous way of working. Why not just select the best player for every position you need to field. Not everyone is destined to be an attacking player.

The sad thing is that the Jets have always selected kids with great skill and after they enter the program they proceed to de-skill them and have them playing like robots.

I was told that jets are always looking for that no.10 player, so if a kid ain't Messi sized he might not get a fair go.
    I would be really surprised (and really concerned for the future of the game in this region) if this were true. Just look at the kids coming through at Chelsea at the moment - you have a 6ft 6" striker (Abraham), a 5ft 4" fullback (Lamptey) and the likes of Mount, James, Tomori around the 6ft mark. Size doesn't determine a good player, and it no longer determines the position you play either. There are plenty of 6ft 5" defensive midfielders and 6ft 3" wingers and full backs out there these days.

It would make very little sense for NNSW Football to only select a certain size/type of player on the off-chance they might become a 10 in the future. The whole point of these talented player pathways is to hopefully produce players that might be able to play for the Jets and beyond, so there would have to be a bigger picture. They have people like Neil Orr and Leo Bertos working there who have played at the highest level, so they'd understand the need for variety and different skill-sets.

Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    I would be really surprised (and really concerned for the future of the game in this region) if this were true. Just look at the kids coming through at Chelsea at the moment - you have a 6ft 6" striker (Abraham), a 5ft 4" fullback (Lamptey) and the likes of Mount, James, Tomori around the 6ft mark. Size doesn't determine a good player, and it no longer determines the position you play either. There are plenty of 6ft 5" defensive midfielders and 6ft 3" wingers and full backs out there these days.

It would make very little sense for NNSW Football to only select a certain size/type of player on the off-chance they might become a 10 in the future. The whole point of these talented player pathways is to hopefully produce players that might be able to play for the Jets and beyond, so there would have to be a bigger picture. They have people like Neil Orr and Leo Bertos working there who have played at the highest level, so they'd understand the need for variety and different skill-sets.
    Hopefully those 2 have some input into the selections going forward, from what I have seen so far NNSWF have very little interest in being proactive with this.

Hopefully those 2 have some input into the selections going forward, from what I have seen so far NNSWF have very little interest in being proactive with this.
    Bertos gone now.

Is it true that when kids reach NPL U12 they must play in there own age? So kids playing up ages will get held back down the track?

Is it true that when kids reach NPL U12 they must play in there own age? So kids playing up ages will get held back down the track?
    Well there isn't an NPL U12 comp but it is true that kids U12 or below can't play in an NPL/NewFm comp U13 and above. So a kid playing up every year will have to do two years of U12 and then can go into U13 once they are Under 13.

Nothing stops them from playing up to U16 again though and once they turn 15 can play first grade. See if you can work out Northern's logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Well there isn't an NPL U12 comp but it is true that kids U12 or below can't play in an NPL/NewFm comp U13 and above. So a kid playing up every year will have to do two years of U12 and then can go into U13 once they are Under 13.

Nothing stops them from playing up to U16 again though and once they turn 15 can play first grade. See if you can work out Northern's logic.
    https://footballnsw.com.au/biological-maturation/

The ‘biological maturation’ rule means it can work the other way, i.e. kids can play down a year if they are assessed as being physically immature for their age.

Bertos gone now.
    Why would Bertos be gone? Coaching an NPL club isn't a full time role

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    Probably a conflict of interest though.

Probably a conflict of interest though.
    Yep. People on here already say he has selected kids from Olympic because of relationship with club, imagine a load of Weston kids start making TSP or train-on squads!

HAHAHAHAHA You think anyone on here actually has any connection or influence at clubs? I really hope not. Trying to work out a lot of the comments on here is like an episode of the Simpsons. The Olympic and Magic kids get picked because they flog everyone each week and play better soccer. Have you seen their 11s play against each other last year was like watching 14s at some clubs. How can anyone question any selections from those clubs. Apologies for the rant but I really dislike people who make comments about things they have no idea. Just look at the finger pointing by the public the last few weeks around the fires. (Greenies, Sco Mo, Global Warming)

HAHAHAHAHA You think anyone on here actually has any connection or influence at clubs? I really hope not. Trying to work out a lot of the comments on here is like an episode of the Simpsons. The Olympic and Magic kids get picked because they flog everyone each week and play better soccer. Have you seen their 11s play against each other last year was like watching 14s at some clubs. How can anyone question any selections from those clubs. Apologies for the rant but I really dislike people who make comments about things they have no idea. Just look at the finger pointing by the public the last few weeks around the fires. (Greenies, Sco Mo, Global Warming)
    I don’t even know who was selected anywhere except Magic.
    From what I know the best kid in last years 9’s at Magic was selected + a kid in last years 10’s who played up a year. The other boy was probably middle of the range at the club but his father has some NNSWF connections.
    When it comes to last years 9’s Olympic squad they were nowhere near as strong as their 10’s group, there were definitely a couple of boys who were strong enough to be selected but they are definitely not head and shoulders above other boys at Magic, Jaffa’s, New Lambton, etc.

I can’t say whether they selected the best 12 kids in this age group or not because I don’t know who they selected 100%. What I do think is that the selection process is murky at best and I reckon I saw more SAP games last year than anyone at Northern did.

Bertos gone: https://www.seek.com.au/job/40707454

Wasn’t that Clayton Zane’s role? What was Bertos a technical advisor or something similar?
    Last edited by Aegon; 10-01-2020 at 07:15 PM.