Thread: HAL 13/14 Rd14 - Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne Victory 10/1/14 k/off 730pm AEDST

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    To be fair, if your going to use stats to prove the performance of one player, throw the stats up of all players so there is actually a baseline to compare them to.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    To be fair, if your going to use stats to prove the performance of one player, throw the stats up of all players so there is actually a baseline to compare them to.
    I've said all along I'm happy for anyone to provide those stats - feel free.

I'm personally continuing an ongoing study of about 2-3 years of bridges stats alone, and am comparing them to his former stats.

Bridges fans say he provides goals - my stats say 0 assists.
    Bridges fans say he is a key passer - my stats say otherwise.
    Bridges fans say he looks good as a commentator - my stats only assess his usefulness on the field, which is what he primarily gets paid to do.

My goal is to ask what people see as his positives, then assess quantitatively whether he actually achieves those things. If he doesn't, does that not mean he does not add anything to the team?

Also if we can just throw a "I reckon" comment around, like bridges fans love to do - I reckon bridges is scared to head the ball. He seems to me to hide from crosses and not challenege anything aerially.
    Last edited by pv4; 11-01-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I've said all along I'm happy for anyone to provide those stats - feel free.

I'm personally continuing an ongoing study of about 2-3 years of bridges stats alone, and am comparing them to his former stats.

Bridges fans say he provides goals - my stats say 0 assists.
    Bridges fans say he is a key passer - my stats say otherwise.
    Bridges fans say he looks good as a commentator - my stats only assess his usefulness on the field, which is what he primarily gets paid to do.

My goal is to ask what people see as his positives, then assess quantitatively whether he actually achieves those things. If he doesn't, does that not mean he does not add anything to the team?

Also if we can just throw a "I reckon" comment around, like bridges fans love to do - I reckon bridges is scared to head the ball. He seems to me to hide from crosses and not challenege anything aerially.
    Like I say with Bridges, does some nice flashy tricks at times but when you get down to analyse his actual effectiveness there is hardly any "end product" and pv4 is just proving it with cold hard stats.