Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 18/19 HAL Round 8 | Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory | Sun 13th Dec 2018 500pm

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    Don't want to sound blasphemous but... really, what is Ronny offering to the team right now?
    As an attacking player, in 8 games he had scored 2 goals (a good one with Adelaide, and a sitter thanks to dimi). That's it. He's lovely to watch in midfield, so elegant, then... Shocking lack of composure, no assists, some evades... I was expecting a lot more from him.
    We can't shoot from outside the box, we haven't scored a direct free kick since Hoole (fmd).
    Let's see what St. Roy will pull off his magic hat...

Ronny's touch and turn creates so much forward impetus for us. He's the best player in this squad by far. he draws 2 or 3 defenders onto him and still skins them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Stevie has never been able to shoot, this is not something new. It would be nice if he could develop that part of his game, but if not he's still valuable.
    In my mind Ronny is usually good in the final third and has been let down by others. That wasn't the case last night, there was a heap of heavy or bad touches by him in and around the box which was unusual I thought. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he does end up struggling with end product, drop him in alongside Kanta or UG and let him own the midfield.

Jair looked better for the goal last week, backed himself to have a couple shots and was unlucky not to have a goal or two to his name. Dimi threatening as well. Unlike the rest of the season, front two thirds of the team exceeded expectations while the backline let us down.

If that's the best team in the comp then we have nothing to fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post

Ronny's touch and turn creates so much forward impetus for us. He's the best player in this squad by far. he draws 2 or 3 defenders onto him and still skins them.
    But he doesnt shoot or provide a killer pass for someone to score which as an attacking marquee should be what we judge him on, So Mic is spot on
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Stevie has never been able to shoot, this is not something new. It would be nice if he could develop that part of his game, but if not he's still valuable.
    In my mind Ronny is usually good in the final third and has been let down by others. That wasn't the case last night, there was a heap of heavy or bad touches by him in and around the box which was unusual I thought. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he does end up struggling with end product, drop him in alongside Kanta or UG and let him own the midfield.

Jair looked better for the goal last week, backed himself to have a couple shots and was unlucky not to have a goal or two to his name. Dimi threatening as well. Unlike the rest of the season, front two thirds of the team exceeded expectations while the backline let us down.

If that's the best team in the comp then we have nothing to fear.
    If thats the best we can offer, were not making the 6
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

I said to my mate, when the ball is bouncing for you, it's bouncing.
    the ball was certainly not bouncing for our fullbacks last night.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    But he doesnt shoot or provide a killer pass for someone to score which as an attacking marquee should be what we judge him on, So Mic is spot on
    He doesn't shoot?? he's down for having 20 shots this season so far, 7 of which have been on target. Dimi, by comparison has had 32, with 5 being on target - 15 % accuracy. Which would you prefer? Last time I looked, Ronny was our top scorer this season so far as well

As for "key passes", which is the closest piece of data I can find to match "killer pass", Ronny has 21, Dimi has 20.

Passing accuracy in the attacking half for Ronny 77.8%, 71.8% for Dimi. Successful dribbles - Ronny has 21, Dimi 8.

For me, Ronny is doing what we need him to do - just no prick will put in the net! I reckon if he could pass it to himself we'd be sitting pretty right now.

I don't understand the Ronny bashing - the bloke is probably the second classiest player to have ever worn the shirt behind Griff. And remember, it was Griff that recruited him!!! Are we saying that Griff is wrong? I'm certainly not
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 17-12-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

He doesn't shoot?? he's down for having 20 shots this season so far, 7 of which have been on target. Dimi, by comparison has had 32, with 5 being on target - 15 % accuracy. Which would you prefer? Last time I looked, Ronny was our top scorer this season so far as well

As for "key passes", which is the closest piece of data I can find to match "killer pass", Ronny has 21, Dimi has 20.

Passing accuracy in the attacking half for Ronny 77.8%, 71.8% for Dimi. Successful dribbles - Ronny has 21, Dimi 8.

For me, Ronny is doing what we need him to do - just no prick will put in the net! I reckon if he could pass it to himself we'd be sitting pretty right now.

I don't understand the Ronny bashing - the bloke is probably the second classiest player to have ever worn the shirt behind Griff. And remember, it was Griff that recruited him!!! Are we saying that Griff is wrong? I'm certainly not
    Griff signed Jair who has taken till Roy is pretty much back to be match fit and somewhat firing so yeah Griff was wrong, It happens. And Ronny when he does shoot mostly its a poor effort. Id like to see him be more direct and charge into the box where he win win alot of pens with his quick feet

love at first sight

Ronnie is a victim of the clubs management to gamble on our seasons success on minus 8 rounds of the competition. Nobody will ever convince me when they started planning for this season and for Roy's absence there was not an element of oh well its a top 6 for the finals in a ten team comp so she'll be right.

There can be no other reasonable explanation for attempting to put your striking options on Hoff and persisting for so long with it. Pittiful piss take by the clubs hierarchy bordering on insulting. The sort of shit you would expect from Gypo ownership and management.

I posted weeks ago that no matter how good a player or pro you are if you for one moment think the clubs not fair dinkum at any given point in time that attitude will trickle down to some of the players. Sadly the players have picked up on the who gives a fig for the first 8 rounds and is showing in some performances. Ronnies frustration was clear to see for all several weeks ago. Having to track back as far as 2 dads and Boogs just to create something week after week, yeh he be pissed along with a few other crucial players at management i am tipping.

And before all you Hoff fans flame me this is not a Hoff bash so ask yourselves how many other clubs would plan to play Hoff at the point like we did and there is your answer to our clubs poor performance in the front office.
    Last edited by 380; 17-12-2018 at 12:39 PM.

where he win win alot of pens with his quick feet
    Wishful thinking, hey mate. Wishful thinking...

Wishful thinking, hey mate. Wishful thinking...
    Not really when you see his ability and how aleague defenders defend.

love at first sight

Not really when you see his ability and how aleague defenders defend.
    NOt so much that - more how A-League referees ref

NOt so much that - more how A-League referees ref
    As long as it isnt that clown Lucas

love at first sight

I could even be persuaded that Ronny is the best Jets player ever. Apart from Griff of course..

Great stats and thanks for providing that dose of reality and clear thinking that is obviously missing from some viewers.

To be fair, he provided a killer pass 8 seconds into the game (which Jair butchered imo, would have been an entirely different game).
    And there could have been a penalty on his name, too late in the game anyway.
    I'm not saying he's a bad player, for some reason his productivity up front has been low.
    Perhaps there's too much pressure on him from the opposition, and not enough support in midfield?
    Still looks like chemistry with Dimi is work in progress.

To be fair, he provided a killer pass 8 seconds into the game (which Jair butchered imo, would have been an entirely different game).
    And there could have been a penalty on his name, too late in the game anyway.
    I'm not saying he's a bad player, for some reason his productivity up front has been low.
    Perhaps there's too much pressure on him from the opposition, and not enough support in midfield?
    Still looks like chemistry with Dimi is work in progress.
    That wasnt a pen but it was a foul

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Ronnie is a victim of the clubs management to gamble on our seasons success on minus 8 rounds of the competition. Nobody will ever convince me when they started planning for this season and for Roy's absence there was not an element of oh well its a top 6 for the finals in a ten team comp so she'll be right.

There can be no other reasonable explanation for attempting to put your striking options on Hoff and persisting for so long with it. Pittiful piss take by the clubs hierarchy bordering on insulting. The sort of shit you would expect from Gypo ownership and management.

I posted weeks ago that no matter how good a player or pro you are if you for one moment think the clubs not fair dinkum at any given point in time that attitude will trickle down to some of the players. Sadly the players have picked up on the who gives a fig for the first 8 rounds and is showing in some performances. Ronnies frustration was clear to see for all several weeks ago. Having to track back as far as 2 dads and Boogs just to create something week after week, yeh he be pissed along with a few other crucial players at management i am tipping.

And before all you Hoff fans flame me this is not a Hoff bash so ask yourselves how many other clubs would plan to play Hoff at the point like we did and there is your answer to our clubs poor performance in the front office.
    Your name must be 380 because that's how many times you were correct in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Ronnie is a victim of...
    After the first 2 games i thought there was some sort of strategy in place, with the idea of not peaking too soon into the season - which makes sense in this competition format, also considering a potential acl qualification.
    But even in that case, playing for 7 games with a non-striker defies logic Sheppard, Thurgate, even Kosta would have been better alternatives. Worst case, they would have gained some experience.

After the first 2 games i thought there was some sort of strategy in place, with the idea of not peaking too soon into the season - which makes sense in this competition format, also considering a potential acl qualification.
    But even in that case, playing for 7 games with a non-striker defies logic Sheppard, Thurgate, even Kosta would have been better alternatives. Worst case, they would have gained some experience.
    Thurgate isnt a striker and Kosta should've been let go last season

what was ernie thinking with his substitutions? apart from hoff none of the players on the bench are attacking minded at all and even hoff ain't that great of an attacking weapon, we are trailing 2-0 and we hooked off both players who scored last game for players who can hardly play football let alone put a ball in the net. as of next week, assuming champness can come back into the squad we should have a bench consisting of

sheppard
    champness
    johnny k
    hoff
    italiano

over time if need be you can swap in dudes like thurgate or austin but really they are our best crop of players that aren't in the starting XI, or if Merrick isn't high on Vujica at lb then put hoff at right and Georges (who played his best game all season on the weekend) at left