Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: HAL 13/14 Rd14 - Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne Victory 10/1/14 k/off 730pm AEDST

Would have won 8-1 last night with Griffo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pudy View Post
    Would have won 8-1 last night with Griffo

No we wouldn't have.We would have won 9-0

Griffo would have buried that chance Brown missed and would have been getting raped by over zealous fans in Bay 2 at the time Victree got their goal.

So why wasn't Nick Ward in the squad last night? I'm not saying he should have played, but surely he should be in the "xx-man squad for the clash with X"

If we got him as cover, why aren't we using him?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    So why wasn't Nick Ward in the squad last night? I'm not saying he should have played, but surely he should be in the "xx-man squad for the clash with X"

If we got him as cover, why aren't we using him?
    Wasn't he injured anyways??

Did see him pre game with Kew Jalians.

Get to see all the celebs in the Western Stand.

Last week ex EPL star Gallas was on the blower at HT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    This is tiring bullshit.....spend your evening gathering anti Bridges stats. Please provide similar stats for the rest of the team.

Bridges at least has a go...and deserves a starting spot to try and ignite this team. There is now nobody else let's face it, especially if Burns goes.The reason his stats are like they are is because he is always thrown in with 10 mins to go and try to make things happen.

What tonight has again shown is that we don't have the cattle.....half this squad do not have the quality and we have no direction. I can see us spiralling down the table and achieving nothing. Heskey, Bridges, Kew, Burns and half a dozen others will be gone at the end of this season of pus.......I can't see any bright spot on the horizon for next season without a massive clear out.
    Well said Jetmaster, I couldn't believe it either. Watch the fukn game!

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Well said Jetmaster, I couldn't believe it either. Watch the fukn game!
    I did watch the game.

And was able to gather those stats from watching it.

As in I was able to use evidence to support an argument.
    OK

To be fair, if your going to use stats to prove the performance of one player, throw the stats up of all players so there is actually a baseline to compare them to.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    To be fair, if your going to use stats to prove the performance of one player, throw the stats up of all players so there is actually a baseline to compare them to.
    I've said all along I'm happy for anyone to provide those stats - feel free.

I'm personally continuing an ongoing study of about 2-3 years of bridges stats alone, and am comparing them to his former stats.

Bridges fans say he provides goals - my stats say 0 assists.
    Bridges fans say he is a key passer - my stats say otherwise.
    Bridges fans say he looks good as a commentator - my stats only assess his usefulness on the field, which is what he primarily gets paid to do.

My goal is to ask what people see as his positives, then assess quantitatively whether he actually achieves those things. If he doesn't, does that not mean he does not add anything to the team?

Also if we can just throw a "I reckon" comment around, like bridges fans love to do - I reckon bridges is scared to head the ball. He seems to me to hide from crosses and not challenege anything aerially.
    Last edited by pv4; 11-01-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I've said all along I'm happy for anyone to provide those stats - feel free.

I'm personally continuing an ongoing study of about 2-3 years of bridges stats alone, and am comparing them to his former stats.

Bridges fans say he provides goals - my stats say 0 assists.
    Bridges fans say he is a key passer - my stats say otherwise.
    Bridges fans say he looks good as a commentator - my stats only assess his usefulness on the field, which is what he primarily gets paid to do.

My goal is to ask what people see as his positives, then assess quantitatively whether he actually achieves those things. If he doesn't, does that not mean he does not add anything to the team?

Also if we can just throw a "I reckon" comment around, like bridges fans love to do - I reckon bridges is scared to head the ball. He seems to me to hide from crosses and not challenege anything aerially.
    Like I say with Bridges, does some nice flashy tricks at times but when you get down to analyse his actual effectiveness there is hardly any "end product" and pv4 is just proving it with cold hard stats.

Ok so I just finished watching the game on replay just a few things.

Zadkovich what a Champion the bloke has the biggest engine.
    Coentreas how did he stay on the park.
    Heskey showed his class, but please Emile get your head over the ball and Head it down.
    Burns will be missed, he had a quiet 1st half 2nd half was much much better.

PV4 & Bon make sure you sit down before reading any further.
    Caravella credit where credit is due he was "alright" not Great but not Bad either. I will add he came on with 15 to go against a inexperienced, young, tired, open & disjointed Melbourne midfield.
    Has my humble pie been served far from it I still think he is not A-League standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Sammydog, it's not about comparing stats. The fact is Bridges is nearing the end of his career, ex-EPL & taking a visa spot. He's not here for his potential, and he shouldn't be here as a squaddie. He should be producing regularly. FFS he's an attacker - when's the last time he scored or set up a goal? And he's not the only one getting criticized. There's threads on gallaway & brown because they too are struggling to contribute positively. But like all Bridges fans, you'll either ignore these arguments or just say he 'tries hard'.

I'm not a Bridges champion or anything, but the whole "Visa spot" argument becomes null and void in a few weeks. Unless of course there is no regular squad spot left for him to take (clarification required perhaps)

I've never had a huge issue with him taking up a visa spot, as I don't think any/many use their visa spot quota properly. I habe a problem with him taking a squad spot period. We can't have the freedom to pick up a free agent, foreign or not, because he uses one of our 23 or so squad spots.
    OK

Who cares about bridges

We have griff der
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

People are talking about how bad the Jets played... and so on. But what about Melbourne Victory ? If we were shit, then MV should be relegated given that we pushed them all around the park for the majority of the match.

Like last week we created a lot of opportunities but we failed to convert them into goals. If we were creating nothing and being comprehensively beaten all over the park then I'd be worried.

On a positive note I thought Mitchell had a solid game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    People are talking about how bad the Jets played... and so on. But what about Melbourne Victory ? If we were shit, then MV should be relegated given that we pushed them all around the park for the majority of the match.

Like last week we created a lot of opportunities but we failed to convert them into goals. If we were creating nothing and being comprehensively beaten all over the park then I'd be worried.

Sort of like melbourne Heart. Create a lot of chances....convert none of them

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post

Except Victory were pretty ****ing depleted & had one of the worst defensive line-ups I've seen in years. They had no trouble finding an equaliser.. and almost a winner if it wasn't for Birraz at the end. That game was there for taking and we ****ed it, like we do every year when we have the chance to get up the table a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Sammydog, it's not about comparing stats. The fact is Bridges is nearing the end of his career, ex-EPL & taking a visa spot. He's not here for his potential, and he shouldn't be here as a squaddie. He should be producing regularly. FFS he's an attacker - when's the last time he scored or set up a goal? And he's not the only one getting criticized. There's threads on gallaway & brown because they too are struggling to contribute positively. But like all Bridges fans, you'll either ignore these arguments or just say he 'tries hard'.
    Actually, I sit on the fence on the bridges argument. There are times he has played and I have cringed, other times I think he has been fine.

But, stats can be used to prove anything, its how you use them. Here there is no comparison to how the rest of the team is performing "stats" wise. In theory, he could have shocking stats, but compared to the rest of the team be performing fine (to saying this is the case). For these stats to have any meaning, we need to be comparing them to other players stats. I'm not going to waste my time at the game collecting stats, id rather watch the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Gave the 2 off target passes in 20 minutes and had one blocked shot.

Brown had 6 off target passes in 50 minutes and had one off target shot, plus gave the ball away once more. That wasn't as bad as Virgilli though, he had a honking game. 10 off target passes with 9 successful. Only 3 of those passes were forwards.

Honestly seems we shouldn't be worried about Bridges. But Christ, Burns was positive for us.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out