Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Football

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    yeah just to be crystal clear, im not against the idea, just genuinely curious.
    Id imagine Jets wouldnt have U/10 girls teams would they, so was just wondering if they were going to be 11 or 12 year olds.

Our club has girls SAP teams as well. Agree its great. Just hoping they get the balance right.

Can only imagine there will be some parents out there with some real strong opinions on this.
    I agree getting the balance is important, and there will be parents with some strong opinions. You would think the Zones looking after the SAP girls will have better resources for paying coaches, equipment & facilities too.

Banned
    So do the 9's girls play against the 9's boys?

Draw is out as well. Seems pretty similar to last year where same club teams play at same time then have a game off then swap opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    So do the 9's girls play against the 9's boys?

Draw is out as well. Seems pretty similar to last year where same club teams play at same time then have a game off then swap opponents.
    yeah was trying to see if any teams dropped from the program. Singleton looks like they went back to one team, which wasnt a bad idea as they were getting flogged every week. Am happy that the clubs with lots of junior numbers kept the numbers up. Not all kids peak at 9 so glad they are keeping the net as wide as possible.

Havent spoken to any team officials from our club and was wondering the age of the girls teams they are all playing. Can only assume the Jets girls will be older, as i didnt think they had a U/10's program.

Another thing was our club has moved to an A team and B team this year. Last year they split the teams evenly, but sounds like the club, rather than the coaches, made them stack the teams.

i can understand both sides of the argument, but would have preferred they split the talent.
    not sure how many other clubs have gone down this route (i know a few did last year).
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    yeah was trying to see if any teams dropped from the program. Singleton looks like they went back to one team, which wasnt a bad idea as they were getting flogged every week. Am happy that the clubs with lots of junior numbers kept the numbers up. Not all kids peak at 9 so glad they are keeping the net as wide as possible.

Havent spoken to any team officials from our club and was wondering the age of the girls teams they are all playing. Can only assume the Jets girls will be older, as i didnt think they had a U/10's program.

Another thing was our club has moved to an A team and B team this year. Last year they split the teams evenly, but sounds like the club, rather than the coaches, made them stack the teams.

i can understand both sides of the argument, but would have preferred they split the talent.
    not sure how many other clubs have gone down this route (i know a few did last year).
    in 9's Southy is a new team. Wallsend back to one team and they play their hub days together.

So why have A & B? To win? and to keep this as the main future squad?

If you need an A team to compete maybe only one team is necessary. Those in B teams might also walk before they hit their peak.

Absolutely over SAP. Our club got pillaged again in the junior ranks.

8 players from last years under 8's gone to this seasons U9's SAP at other clubs. More gone from older ages.

I'd like to know why it is only NPL/NL1 with the opportunity to run the show. For the second year running we have lost enough kids to fill a full team. Set strict licensing criteria like other confederations and open the system up to clubs with ambition. Current system makes it impossible to build youth at clubs outside the privileged few.

So why have A & B? To win? and to keep this as the main future squad?

If you need an A team to compete maybe only one team is necessary. Those in B teams might also walk before they hit their peak.
    yeah again, totally understand all the different arguments.
    Our club has pretty much been told from next year (11's onwards), it will be one (bigger) team. So there will be about 14 spots available.
    The 2 different coaches have 2 very different approaches, and i think they've matched the kids to the coach they will do better under. Some kids last year were pretty uninterested, but skillful enough. The coach they have this year is great at getting people enthused, whereas the A team coach is a bit more technical. Maybe putting the 'better' kids with the technical coach and the kids that needed a fire up with the B team coach will help everyone. Judging from training though, the kids in the B team dont feel like they are any less deserving, which has been awesome to watch.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post

8 players from last years under 8's gone to this seasons U9's SAP at other clubs. More gone from older ages.

I'd like to know why it is only NPL/NL1 with the opportunity to run the show. For the second year running we have lost enough kids to fill a full team. Set strict licensing criteria like other confederations and open the system up to clubs with ambition. Current system makes it impossible to build youth at clubs outside the privileged few.
    Does your club run the NET program? has it been offered to you? or is that an NPL thing as well?
    Seems like I am WRONG

Our club has pretty much been told from next year (11's onwards), it will be one (bigger) team. So there will be about 14 spots available.
    The 2 different coaches have 2 very different approaches, and i think they've matched the kids to the coach they will do better under. Some kids last year were pretty uninterested, but skillful enough. The coach they have this year is great at getting people enthused, whereas the A team coach is a bit more technical. Maybe putting the 'better' kids with the technical coach and the kids that needed a fire up with the B team coach will help everyone. Judging from training though, the kids in the B team dont feel like they are any less deserving, which has been awesome to watch.
    It's an old experiment and the results at this age are usually - A team will beat the B team. B team will beat everyone else including teams A team loses to.

Banned
    Tweet on Twitter from Tom Byers well known alternative coaching philosopher

Basically bagging this concept being imposed on 9 year olds

Makes the pretty relevant point that it should be being applied to the 6-9 year old bracket instead and that the powers that be are clueless

Does your club run the NET program? has it been offered to you? or is that an NPL thing as well?
    Thats only for Newcastle Clubs unfortunately. That program seem to be pretty good looking from the outside.

Makes the pretty relevant point that it should be being applied to the 6-9 year old bracket instead and that the powers that be are clueless
    it is a pretty weird system that basically says ages 6-9 its all about playing and winning games on the weekend (this is the attitude of coaches and trainers, no mini roos clubs are dedicated at teaching kids the home program etc).
    Then at 9 we say, forget games, its all about skills and we'll get to tactics around 11 or 12.

the thing ive noticed from last year and this year, the 'new' kids that trialled for the SAP program were still all about running all over the park kicking crap out of anyone to win the ball the trying to dribble around everyone to score. they looked so out of depth against kids that could play a simple 1-2 or hold a ball up and roll a defender.

'luckily' Plague jnr was all about technique on the ball in those early years. the best kids in his team now already have so much more time on the ball, and seem quite 'lazy' compared to others but are way better footballers than the energizer bunnies.

miniroos (age 6 up) need an overhaul and get the kids learning to kick and pass with some technique before worrying about winning games. but then the age old thing comes in about who teaches them from that age? are parents happy to pay the money for multiple nights training for a sport their kid is just getting into?

id love to see miniroos coaches do a basic course, then make the parents interact with their kids at training. then get the parents to work on technique at home. 10 mins a day learning how to make good contact on the ball would put these kids so much further ahead (not to mention get them away from screens, get them fit etc etc etc).

i agree the whole system 'seems' backwards.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Thats only for Newcastle Clubs unfortunately. That program seem to be pretty good looking from the outside.
    really? had no idea. so Lake Mac doesnt offer anything other than SAP?
    yet another example of the whole damn system being screwed i guess.

our club brought in a NET team this season as they had more than enough good kids to fill multiple SAP teams. all the kids trialled together and they moved them where the kids seemed to fit best. Some of Plague Jnrs old SAP teammates are playing NET this year. Its a bigger field with more players on the park and it def seems to suit the more athletic kids who can make use of the space. Our club was really good to point out that NET wasnt an 'inferior' program to SAP and that they were just different. from what ive seen from the NET kids in our club this year it already looks like a great program and the kids are every bit as focused on playing good football.

again, the hope is that more kids get more training in the hope of unearthing their potential.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned

So you got knocked back for a SAP team? I thought Kotara was also thinking of put a team in. They didnt.

Can you make up a special Macq comp?

Banned
    Fair enough. Always an interesting affair when 2 teams go into 1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    It's an old experiment and the results at this age are usually - A team will beat the B team. B team will beat everyone else including teams A team loses to.
    Amazing how this happens. IF the A team have a couple of guns theyll gun it.

So you got knocked back for a SAP team? I thought Kotara was also thinking of put a team in. They didnt.

Can you make up a special Macq comp?
    I believe they have put a team into the NET program. Did they not get it across the line in the end?

I believe they have put a team into the NET program. Did they not get it across the line in the end?
    yeah im positive Kotara has a NET team.
    Seems like I am WRONG

yeah im positive Kotara has a NET team.
    Hope they did, I have a lot of respect for that club.

So the under 10 SAP program boys will be playing games against 3 different girls teams this season inc Jets youth girls.

Anyone know what age these girls teams are? Because without being completely sexist you'd Imagine they would need to be at least a couple years older in order for it to be competitive.
    Ages of the girls teams vary. I know in the Under 9's the girls sides are Under 10 but they have a couple of girls turning 11 after the end of the season but I'm not sure why they'd do that.

Banned

Byers...
    “The coaching at elite level in USA and Australia is better than Japan and Korea, the difference is that Japan and Korea, players are better technically.
    “Skill is rarely the result of coaching, it’s discipline and culture. Kids in Japan train 52 weeks of the year.
    So if you arent hitting passes, dropping the shoulder and turning out by 8 it's all over. 52 weeks is a long season and looks like the sporting career has to made by 5. So, give me a kid till 7 and ill show you the football professional and probably a social nutjob.

Aegon Jr is new to SAP 9's this year, having read through some of the previous pages I can agree with some of the sentiment expressed but I think a lot of it is out of touch with reality. In the younger age groups there are far too many players for anyone to adequately train everyone at the same level. There isn't enough volunteer coaches or the finances to support it from the top down.

I coached for the last 3 seasons at Jr's previous club in miniroos and at the community club level the biggest challenge is trying to train kids at such varied levels of ability and enthusiasm. Unfortunately the majority of your time has to be spent with kids who need extra help rather than trying to nurture the kids with the most talent. i would love for there to be more resources and more volunteers but there just isn't. So for Jr I decided to try SAP for a year and see where we go from there.
    The most noticeable differences so far is that at Jr's SAP club the coaches are well informed, accredited and being mentored directly by a TD. The kids there are all keen and there is already a good grasp of the fundamentals. With several training sessions a week with other good kids and great coaching and 2 games each weekend I can't fault my choice to put Jr into SAP. Agree or Disagree with the concept it is currently the best available option for kids 8yo and above.

With regards to teams, they have only played 1 round so far but it looks like there are 4 clubs with only a single team, plus the Hunter Valley and Lake Macquarie girls also only fielding a single team. I can't confirm what age group the girls teams are but judging by the size difference they are at least Under 10's in the Under 9's. Some of the boys weren't even as tall as the girls shoulders.

I don't know about the other clubs yet but Jr's team have picked two evenly skilled teams not an A & B squad.

I'm hearing rumours that they have only released half the draw as they may split the comp after round 11 into 2 groups to try and balance team abilities and avoid lopsided results.

With regards to finances, after the active kids voucher the fees were $600+, however I was very happy that the club gave a breakdown of the fees to show exactly how much was being allocated from the fees into different areas such as NNSW contribution, grounds, lighting, coaches, TD, insurance, etc, etc. The club gives everyone the option to pay up front or via a payment plan. While it is still expensive it is definitely achievable and not out of reach for everyone as some have previously said here. In 12 Months I'll spend way more than $600 on alcohol, coffee, lunch, etc, so it just takes a bit of tightening of the purse strings in some areas to get the most for your kids.