Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

Can someone please explain why the AFC and FIFA are pressing the FFA to have relegation and hence a 1st and 2nd division in Australian domestic football ?
    Last I checked Australia was a sovereign nation and the idea that we should let other countries let alone some foreign private enterprise dictate what we do is ridiculous.
    What am I missing here ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Can someone please explain why the AFC and FIFA are pressing the FFA to have relegation and hence a 1st and 2nd division in Australian domestic football ?
    Last I checked Australia was a sovereign nation and the idea that we should let other countries let alone some foreign private enterprise dictate what we do is ridiculous.
    What am I missing here ?
    If we wish to be a member of those federations we must comply to the rules they set.
    Much the same as FFA governing the rules of what it's member federations and clubs have to adhere to.

Sure we can run our own race, however that would mean that we can't participate in little tournaments like the Asian Cup and World Cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Lets ask FIFA to subsidise the cost if it means that much to them. Nah, might detract from their junckets....

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    If we wish to be a member of those federations we must comply to the rules they set.
    Much the same as FFA governing the rules of what it's member federations and clubs have to adhere to.

Sure we can run our own race, however that would mean that we can't participate in little tournaments like the Asian Cup and World Cup.
    Just by curiosity, are FIFA and CONCACAF also pressing the MLS to introduce promotion / relegation?
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    umm?
    Umm what? Sydney's crowds have been low enough to have the press lamenting the poor numbers when they are leading the competition and City's crowds aren't much better than ours
    Average HOME crowds this season are
    MV 23588
    WSW 19640
    SFC 16581
    Roar 14681
    City 10866
    Glory 10570
    Reds 10160
    Jets 8583
    Gypsies 7532 (probably all free tickets)
    Nix 6308 plus sheep

Source: http://www.worldfootball.net

I haven't got the time to start looking at the crowd vs population equation but the big city teams need to do better.

As I said, neither SFC or City go anywhere near filling their grounds. Adding another team into either market will not improve that situation. New markets please. Geelong is big enough and distant enough to create its own team without affecting the Melbourne teams too much. Same would apply to the Wolves in regard to Sydney teams. Tassie stands alone anyway.

Funnily enough the Jets are 5th for away crowds (11187). Must be that the opposition fans know that 3 points are likely....

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Umm what? Sydney's crowds have been low enough to have the press lamenting the poor numbers when they are leading the competition and City's crowds aren't much better than ours
    MV 23588
    WSW 19640
    SFC 16581
    Roar 14681
    City 10866
    Glory 10570
    Reds 10160
    Jets 8583
    Nix 6308 plus sheep

I haven't got the time to start looking at the crowd vs population equation but the big city teams need to do better.

As I said, neither SFC or City go anywhere near filling their grounds. Adding another team into either market will not improve that situation. New markets please. Geelong is big enough and distant enough to create its own team without affecting the Melbourne teams too much. Same would apply to the Wolves in regard to Sydney teams. Tassie stands alone anyway.

Funnily enough the Jets are 5th for away crowds (11187). Must be that the opposition fans know that 3 points are likely....
    I was merely pointing out that you stated that City and SFC etc only fill their grounds on derby day, then went on to state that adding another team from these areas would be madness.? It isn't exactly rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Just by curiosity, are FIFA and CONCACAF also pressing the MLS to introduce promotion / relegation?
    In short yes.
    However it's a little different to our situation. The MLS is an independent organization from US Soccer and US Soccer already partly complies. It's divisional Pyramid is already set and pro/rel is already implemented throughout some of it divisions.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    MV 23588
    WSW 19640
    SFC 16581
    Roar 14681
    City 10866
    Glory 10570
    Reds 10160
    Jets 8583
    Nix 6308 plus sheep

how do those crowds look compared to 5 years ago? anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Nou Camp View Post
    how do those crowds look compared to 5 years ago? anyone

That's for the Jets only

crowds.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Regions will succeed if FFA put the work in...but they dont. When the cap was truly even us and the Coasties were ss good as the others on and off the field.

I've said it before....if somehow we had the backing that the Smurfs or City had and those squads, what crowds do you think we would get? Better than them I don't doubt.

If overseas investors come looking they will be funnelled to the main centres by FFA. For corporate purposes not football purposes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Regions will succeed if FFA put the work in...but they dont. When the cap was truly even us and the Coasties were ss good as the others on and off the field.

I've said it before....if somehow we had the backing that the Smurfs or City had and those squads, what crowds do you think we would get? Better than them I don't doubt.

If overseas investors come looking they will be funnelled to the main centres by FFA. For corporate purposes not football purposes.
    But that the FFA fault

A Man City like investment into the Jets would have achieved more than it did at Heart

Other thing is an overseas investor isn't going to come in and seriously look at buying a HAL club when the rewards are so limited and the expenses basically falling on the Owners to pick up the bill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    I should clarify my statement. They will abolish the salary cap - but will establish a minimum spend to prevent what you posted from happening.
    Its the max spend cap that will effectively be abolished.
    I don't see the Max spend being abolished either.

It is currently giving the Melbourne and Sydney teams a distinct advantage over the other 6 teams

The other 6 teams don't have the financial firepower to compete with them

The 6 ain't going to want the 4 getting to spend more

And the 4 will be happy to keep the status quo as it will further widen the gap to the rest over time.

The salary cap will stay until the clubs are making excessive cash or we have a pile of EPL style crazy investment and it is redundant

Would we be far better off with a 20 team competition and a lot more games in a shorter space, more like the EPL?

Boutique Stadia in the heart of the CBD is what we need, white elephants in surrounding suburbs are a thing of yesterday.
    Make game days about the match day experience with bars and restaurants in the CBD packed full of supports leading up to the game. 33,000 capacity stadia is far to big for us, create the demand for tickets anything over 18,000 is to big. If people miss out on tickets so what sold out packed stadia will create a much better atmosphere that people will want to keep coming back to.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I think we all know that but again its about money. Doubt we'll see boutique stadia for all in my lifetime.

Ok. But what is the reasoning from the AFC and FIFA with respect to a 2nd tier / relegation being required ? Do they even have a reason ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post

That's for the Jets only

crowds.jpg
    You know what Jeterpool, stats the best graph I've ever seen on here.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Its the max spend cap that will effectively be abolished.
    This will be massively faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarked. We will never win again and when relo comes in we'll be in 2nds.

Also if derbies are the only thing that fills Syd stads then a 3rd team (up the shire) will be ideal for the suits that run the game

Listen, the double-eff-aye have a plan and its a good one.

1. Get lots of capital city teams to give the most exposure, fan/corporate support and TV revenue.
    2. Get a couple of mong teams like us and the gypos that no one cares about and don't move the needle from a financial perspective.
    3. Get to 14/16 teams.
    4. Set up div 2 featuring all the mong teams that people think matter like Canberra/Gong/Geelong etc and get them to go at it.
    5. One team relegated every year (always us or the gypos) and one mong team up, that immediately goes back down the next year.
    6. Standard is so poor that capital city teams remain in the top flight every year to maximise TV deal and corporate/fan support.
    7. If by the grace of Griff a mong team makes a run they get the feel good factor of a Lester type story to boost interest.
    8. ?????????
    9. Profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Boutique Stadia in the heart of the CBD is what we need, white elephants in surrounding suburbs are a thing of yesterday.
    Make game days about the match day experience with bars and restaurants in the CBD packed full of supports leading up to the game. 33,000 capacity stadia is far to big for us, create the demand for tickets anything over 18,000 is to big. If people miss out on tickets so what sold out packed stadia will create a much better atmosphere that people will want to keep coming back to.
    we could build it in the middle of the supercars track.