Thread: Jets in Schools

Jets in Schools

Bit of chat in ufc goalkeepers thread about this. What should the Jets be doing to grow our game in our community particularly schools.
    Without doubt there's been a lot of improvement under the new regime this year but we have the knights in schools every year and some yrs afl lay it on real thick.

I feel we can still do better even on a shoe string budget. We need more school visits to get more kids in, kids tix and perhaps posters or other cheap handouts and if possible visits by senior and youth players (obs not all schools).

Do we have a school boys Jets knockout yet? If not this should be run as the pssa or knockout comp in our area. The logistics might not allow the full implementation at this time but should be worked into our area in the near future. I expected these actions have been up and running by now.

some have said...

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    not rocket science I agree, but Who is organising all this?
    The club is still being run on the smell of an oily rag with very few bodies doing all the leg work.
    I'm all for the club getting into schools as most know, but reality needs to be understood.
    WSW do the schools very well, but have one and a half staff dedicated to it and sponsors paying for the costs involved.
    "Getting into schools" isn't as easy as it appears and especially without the administrative staff available to do the co-ordination of it all.
    Although the reality of how it is, we dont have to accept this. I reckon gaz already has a secret plan to blow this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Yeah I'm probably on the high side in my numbers but 10 primary schools a week should be quite achievable, along with a visit to the children's hospital and some form of community appearance every now and then it's not rocket science.

I recall when I was younger and the Sydney Swans sent a few players to our school ahead of pre season game at No1. I was given free entry to the game that I had never given thought to before and went to it. After the game I asked my parents if I could play AFL for one year an the only thing that stop me playing was the closest team was in Warners Bay which was 20 mins away and my parents convinced me to stay with my local Football Club around the corner.
    eg of how it can influence families

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I think the Jets could do more. I'd like to see them send a few players around to each current (and former) fans houses to maybe do some chores, mow the lawn check the oil in the car etc. I feel this would be good PR and prob prevent a few household accidents.
    goalkeepers good at this

This goes beyond the Jets somewhat cause the game just might be bigger than this club....Thoughts?

I've been more than critical in the past of the Jets efforts to engage the community.

This is a 500 million percent* increase in their efforts and should be applauded.

Well done club.
    Still doesn't make up for making a ****ng Gypo captain but well done club.

*all figures estimates
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Jets knockout aimed at primary schools would be a great idea. And wouldn't be too hard to organise. The Bill Turner Cup has the high schools covered.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Jets knockout aimed at primary schools would be a great idea. And wouldn't be too hard to organise. The Bill Turner Cup has the high schools covered.

Gala day based tournament to promote participation, open to public and independents.

Difficult to get space in the school sport calendar without a coordinated approach though.

Gala day based tournament to promote participation, open to public and independents.

Difficult to get space in the school sport calendar without a coordinated approach though.
    It is but a when a tournament is sponsored/named by a national club it does get traction.

The knights knockout is going gangbangbusters a Jets knockout could become the premier comp here. The winners get to have a training run with the jets, fkn ay.

My son goes to a smaller school where there is no friday soccer sports team. They have a league team because they have the knights knockout competition. The teacher that runs the team is a football fan and i would think there'd be as many or more kids play soccer. If the jets and the FFA, to a greater extent, would have some competition in place it would be of use.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    It is but a when a tournament is sponsored/named by a national club it does get traction.

The knights knockout is going gangbangbusters a Jets knockout could become the premier comp here. The winners get to have a training run with the jets, fkn ay.
    You're right. Zone/area based gala days feeding to regional gala days feeding to final prize.

Club need more backing from FFA to have the staff to get such an idea off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    My son goes to a smaller school where there is no friday soccer sports team. They have a league team because they have the knights knockout competition. The teacher that runs the team is a football fan and i would think there'd be as many or more kids play soccer. If the jets and the FFA, to a greater extent, would have some competition in place it would be of use.
    Can you PM me the school name and teacher, I'm piecing together a list of teaching staff who are "football" people so some of the legwork for the club is done.

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    yep, exhibit A

Can you PM me the school name and teacher, I'm piecing together a list of teaching staff who are "football" people so some of the legwork for the club is done.
    Exhibit B, you'll be leading the Jets school championships soon.