Page 60 of 242 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    No picking and choosing which parts.

Try and live a life free from sin embracing god as your lord and saviour

Confess your sins and seek forgiveness
    So by that logic I should be put to death?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    So by that logic I should be put to death?
    Ask Snake he deals in Science and logic

Quote Originally Posted by tha_hauss View Post
    I'm happy to answer these questions, but just a quick question. It seems that all these questions are designed to direct you toward a conclusion that you have already reached. Is that how scientists approach a topic? I thought that designing an experiment so that it was biased toward the result you want is a big no no. You've almost written my answers for me.
    not quite. i'm just cutting straight to the point to save time.

if the bible is reliable, then the abrahamic god exists, cares abour us, will judge us etc. if ghe bible is unreliable, then all that may still be true, but it can't be used as supporting evidence. however, the hypothesis for a god usually comes the axiom of the bible being reliable. ergo, proper scientific enquiry is to test the veracity of the bible. hence the motivation behind a few of the questions

the other questions are to raise your consciousness about how truly arbitrary your religion is. i'm probably correct in thinking you're christian because you were raised in a christian family. most apples don't fall far from the tree. if we were both indian, we would be having the same coversation about hinduism...
    we will loose

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    yeah I'm sticking up for my man Member here. you can't go picking apart every minute detail of the books.
    everyone on here has broken the laws of the society we choose to live in from time to time.
    besides, as he said, if you do the wrong thing just ask for forgiveness. simple.
    you've missed the point here. it's not that mkfs doesn't perfectly follow the rules in the bible all of the time, it's that the bible is self-contradictory, or in some cases, patently absurd in terms of moral guidance or historical value.
    we will loose

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    je suis snake

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    terrorists tend to be religious narcissists

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...tz-jihadi-john

"Delusions of grandeur, a fear of failure and a need for admiration"

remind you of anyone on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    you've missed the point here. it's not that mkfs doesn't perfectly follow the rules in the bible all of the time, it's that the bible is self-contradictory, or in some cases, patently absurd in terms of moral guidance or historical value.

no no, it was in response to the accusation from someone else that if you don't adhere to all the rules in the bible then you can't be a proper christian.
    i know plenty who take bits and pieces from it to shape their journey in life. not sure if thats makes them a plastic christian or not but i don't think us non beliebers should take that angle in the argument (not that you were, it was someone else).
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Anyway Snake back to my little green men question and your beliefs in their existence.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    no no, it was in response to the accusation from someone else that if you don't adhere to all the rules in the bible then you can't be a proper christian.
    i know plenty who take bits and pieces from it to shape their journey in life. not sure if thats makes them a plastic christian or not but i don't think us non beliebers should take that angle in the argument (not that you were, it was someone else).
    It was me.
    I find it hard to believe someone that only believes in half a story. If they only believe in the part of something that suits them then I believe when they are to portray something then they will only portray what suits them, hardly the full scope on something. How's the expression you can't have your cake and eat it.

The Church is built on foundations of hearsay and depictions of people who only portray part of the good book. Ministers, Fathers what ever name they want to go by are happy to preach stories from a book but are quick to tell us not to take all those stories literal, surely one can forgive me for not knowing what stories to take literal and what stories to not.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I'm still trying to work out what insulted hauss so much in the first place. As far as I can tell it was when snake said that he believes in zombie stories. So that's too insulting now? sheesh

For all I care you could say that I suck Darwin's cawk, no need to get precious about it.

Saying that we aren't allowed to ridicule or make fun of beliefs which quite clearly require a large leap of faith sets a dangerous precedent for society.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Ask Snake he deals in Science and logic
    I'm interested to know what someone who believes in the "good" books thoughts are on that extract.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Anyway Snake back to my little green men question and your beliefs in their existence.
    a dude a while back named drake derived an equation to estimate this using the product of a set of probabilities. number of stars x fraction with planets x fraction of planets with conditions conducive to life x. ... etc. otoh, i don't know if moons were included here, which would expand the probabilities slightly.

we currently have good estimates for some of these parameters, but not for others. the universe us a big place, and the number if extrasolar planets discovered is accelerating with improved measurements. the number if.earth-like planets is increasing also. this stuff is hot science right nao.

once upon a time, there was a theory called vital force theory, which stated that organic molecules can only come from organic sources. thwn one day, this dude whose name escapes me, prepared urea (a chemical in your piss) from inorganic chemicals. vital force theory, and one if gods roles, died shortly after.

it was.thought that these molecules - particulay those in RNA require a solvent like water to form. RNA is particularly interesring because it copies itself! kinda like life does....

anyway, it turns out you don't need liquid water.to form many of these molecules - they exist in comets - and so are ubiquitous to tbe solar system. since i don't happen to think our solar system is all that special, they're probably common to the universe. a big place.

so, are.there little green men?

visiting us -probably not, although i do watch ancient aliens for a giggle.

elsewhere in the universe? i'd be stunned if there wasn't. although the data isn't in yet. (it only takes.one drake probability to be zero, for the whole thing to be zero...) would love for it to be solved in my lifetime, but it's probably asking too much.
    we will loose

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It was me.
    I find it hard to believe someone that only believes in half a story. If they only believe in the part of something that suits them then I believe when they are to portray something then they will only portray what suits them, hardly the full scope on something. How's the expression you can't have your cake and eat it.

The Church is built on foundations of hearsay and depictions of people who only portray part of the good book. Ministers, Fathers what ever name they want to go by are happy to preach stories from a book but are quick to tell us not to take all those stories literal, surely one can forgive me for not knowing what stories to take literal and what stories to not.

you make a fair point, but from reading Members posts and my own experience there are a lot of people who use the books as a guide to form their own theory on life. id be shocked if the there are more of those in the world than your extremist "all or nothing" type of lads.

i think everyone agrees that extremists are the ****ing worst.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

oi Member, so what are your thoughts on the likes of the Westboro baptist church?
    cool with it, not cool?
    interested to hear a religious mans perspective as id assume all non believers would think they are the worst humans on the planet.
    Seems like I am WRONG

elsewhere in the universe? i'd be stunned if there wasn't. although the data isn't in yet. (it only takes.one drake probability to be zero, for the whole thing to be zero...) would love for it to be solved in my lifetime, but it's probably asking too much.
    so Snake, (or others) have you ever come across anything you would legit think is proof of life out there?
    blows my mind to think one day its going to be discovered.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    terrorists tend to be religious narcissists

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...tz-jihadi-john

"Delusions of grandeur, a fear of failure and a need for admiration"

remind you of anyone on this forum?
    Memberforahmed

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post

Saying that we aren't allowed to ridicule or make fun of beliefs which quite clearly require a large leap of faith sets a dangerous precedent for society.
    but when we do some get angry, some dont care and others find someone who disagrees and kill.

once upon a time, there was a theory called vital force theory, which stated that organic molecules can only come from organic sources. thwn one day, this dude whose name escapes me, prepared urea (a chemical in your piss) from inorganic chemicals. vital force theory, and one if gods roles, died shortly after.
    Organic chemists
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Do other forms of life exist in this universe - almost certainly.
    Are those other forms of life interested in having contact with us - almost certainly not.
    It's hilarious to me that people think humans are the superior and only form of life in the cosmos. Why would any beings smart enough to develop means for travelling massive distances through space want to hang out with a race intent on blowing each other up over trivial differences and watching cat videos on the internet?
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Banned
    a dude a while back named drake derived an equation to estimate this using the product of a set of probabilities. number of stars x fraction with planets x fraction of planets with conditions conducive to life x. ... etc. otoh, i don't know if moons were included here, which would expand the probabilities slightly.

we currently have good estimates for some of these parameters, but not for others. the universe us a big place, and the number if extrasolar planets discovered is accelerating with improved measurements. the number if.earth-like planets is increasing also. this stuff is hot science right nao.

it was.thought that these molecules - particulay those in RNA require a solvent like water to form. RNA is particularly interesring because it copies itself! kinda like life does....

anyway, it turns out you don't need liquid water.to form many of these molecules - they exist in comets - and so are ubiquitous to tbe solar system. since i don't happen to think our solar system is all that special, they're probably common to the universe. a big place.

so, are.there little green men?

visiting us -probably not, although i do watch ancient aliens for a giggle.

So you believe in the possibility of little green men.

Ok

I will leave the insults of you being loopy crazy etc alone but lets at least take note that your position on this subject would leave some severe doubts on your level of sanity in the modern world.

Now as far as your science goes Why has Science not been able to prove the existence of these little green men??

I am taking the answer to this is that science is not complete yet?? Ie Science has not discovered its limit and is still a long way from achieving it

Would this be a fair narrative to explain the situation as to why Little Green Men are not confirmed as legit just yet