Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
interesting you brought this up.
was contemplating getting Plague jar a guitar last Christmas (he's 6) and music pros and teachers I spoke to all said the same thing. Get him to learn keyboard first as it will make guitar (and music) easier long term. they all said that young kids playing guitar is a very difficult introduction and keyboard will be easier to learn from both a 'making noise' perspective and learning to read music.

never even thought about it that way but testimony from people that did it certainly has swayed my way of thinking.

I'm trying to work out what to do with my 6 year old who wants to play guitar. Thing is, he has absolutely no interest in the keyboard, so going down that path would be a waste as he wouldn't stick with it, but I am sure if I got him guitar lessons he would get right into it.

Ive thought about Rosies School of Rock which seems to be more based around the kids learning songs more than anything. Could be a good introduction till he is old enough to get into theory, assuming he wants to go that way.