Page 94 of 106 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2101

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    Merrick talking up the signing of Roy which is interesting because Roy signed before Ernie, didn't he?

Regardless, two of the best we have had here in a long time!
    He gives credit to Mckinna in the article. Also pours cold water on signing Burns.

Lowe is just painful with his Jones support isn't he!
    Every compliment he gives Merrick seems to be backhanded.

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    Lowe is just painful with his Jones support isn't he!
    Every compliment he gives Merrick seems to be backhanded.
    Much like when Miller was dismissed and people were making similar comparisons with Jones (i.e. How would Miller have HIS team performing?), the fans making these points need to move on.

The difference here, for mine, is Merrick has had some instant success so the focus has been on how the team are performing and Merrick is experience, not a rookie like Stubbins, Miller and Jones. Last season we had a dip before the strong middle part of the season so the challenges over Jones' appointment when compared to Miller was a more relevant discussion. Additionally, Miller was popular and had started to take us ahead from where Stubbins left us - Jones had taken us back to the wooden spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

What interests me greatly if we allow ourselves to forget squad additions etc is what each coach got out of the existing squad that is directly comparable.

Under Merrick, I see Kanta & Vujica in particular as reaching way bigger heights than they did under Jones. Particularly Vujica - and Merrick has spoken publicly about how he viewed his previous performances as opposed to what he wanted output-wise from him. It feels like Merrick has coached Vujica into a more suitable style and mentality for our system, and so far he has been thriving from it.

Inversely under Jones we had a fair amount of reliance at times on Jackson, Johnny K, Cowburn & to an extent Clut and none of those three currently look barely on the radar of replicating their previous form either due to not being given enough chance or not good enough for our setup now. And definitely Clut but also to an extent Johnny K look almost ostracised by Merrick. Let's not forget Jackson, Cowburn & Clut were all part of Gombau's Olyroos too.

So that makes me wonder in Lowey's fantasy land where Jones gets the same squad additions that Merrick has gotten, how differently those half a dozen above mentioned squad players would and wouldn't be used.
    OK

Bigger issue is 2 of those coaches played conservative (defensive) football, the other is way more flamboyant.

Signings or no signings Merrick ‘style’ is much more fan friendly and would be coaching it no matter who was wearing the shirt.

Also Miller kept publicly throwing his players under the bus. That’s just a terrible way to coach. I don’t wanna see or hear any of that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Bigger issue is 2 of those coaches played conservative (defensive) football, the other is way more flamboyant.

Signings or no signings Merrick ‘style’ is much more fan friendly and would be coaching it no matter who was wearing the shirt.

Also Miller kept publicly throwing his players under the bus. That’s just a terrible way to coach. I don’t wanna see or hear any of that shit.
    To Miller's defence the players didn't TECHNICALLY have the right MENTALITY to perform TACHTICALLY on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    What interests me greatly if we allow ourselves to forget squad additions etc is what each coach got out of the existing squad that is directly comparable.

Under Merrick, I see Kanta & Vujica in particular as reaching way bigger heights than they did under Jones. Particularly Vujica - and Merrick has spoken publicly about how he viewed his previous performances as opposed to what he wanted output-wise from him. It feels like Merrick has coached Vujica into a more suitable style and mentality for our system, and so far he has been thriving from it.

Inversely under Jones we had a fair amount of reliance at times on Jackson, Johnny K, Cowburn & to an extent Clut and none of those three currently look barely on the radar of replicating their previous form either due to not being given enough chance or not good enough for our setup now. And definitely Clut but also to an extent Johnny K look almost ostracised by Merrick. Let's not forget Jackson, Cowburn & Clut were all part of Gombau's Olyroos too.

So that makes me wonder in Lowey's fantasy land where Jones gets the same squad additions that Merrick has gotten, how differently those half a dozen above mentioned squad players would and wouldn't be used.

Interesting posts. I think you raise some valid points.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    To Miller's defence the players didn't TECHNICALLY have the right MENTALITY to perform TACHTICALLY on the pitch.
    Drink

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post

I keep forgetting Johnny K is still in the squad.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    I think we had the 7 man defensive midfielder approach of parking the bus under control under Millertime

We sure utilised it enough

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Not news but gee I'd like to pinch one:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    We should petition Nuatali for replica cinnamon and emerald City of Newcastle flags with the crest to sell at MJ Stadium home matches.

Herald (suddenly Dillon wants to write about the Jets now)
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50...al-deal/?cs=12
    Lowedown
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50...m-start/?cs=12

firstly as always cheers to Turbo for posting these articles.

but

can someone explain to me what exactly we are reading from 'Lowey'?
    He basically just gives the same hackneyed point form rundown from the weekend, except by the time its 'news', the cliched drivel has already been spouted out on TV, in print and online for days.

where in these columns is he offering any sort of original thinking?

here are his revelations:
    - No one thought the Jets would be this good.
    - Merrick has an attacking philosophy
    - Sydney will be a difficult game

ok cheers Captain Obvious.

although congrats to the bloke on getting paid to run this racket. ill never knock a bloke for getting that cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

can someone explain to me what exactly we are reading from 'Lowey'?
    He basically just gives the same hackneyed point form rundown from the weekend, except by the time its 'news', the cliched drivel has already been spouted out on TV, in print and online for days.

where in these columns is he offering any sort of original thinking?
    Hmmm, really saying why do we have journalism degrees or even journos at all when anyone anytime can put a known piece together 24/7 online.

...rip employment

Dan the man wants a crack at Shitney
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50...astle/?cs=3398