Thread: Afl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Hi all,

Just interested in opinions.

IMO this year has been the worst year for the Jets and it is at crisis point. It has made me ponder why I actually threw so much passion into football in the first place.

What it came down to was reading Johnny Warren's book "Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters" and being drawn into the mission of making our mark on the World stage. However, since the corruption of FIFA became so apparent, I've wondered how important it is to be part of a World Game. Globalisation doesn't seem so important anymore.

The Jets seem to lurch from one crisis to the next, there is no corporate support, both for corporate boxes or sponsorship. Where is it going?

I hate rugby league culture, so it made me think of missing piece of professional sport that isn't here in Newcastle, which is AFL. Given the rise of BBL, it is economically feasible for a circular stadium like GWS to be built in the Hunter and supply both summer and winter sport. I know that Hunter people would love access to cricket, and some of the AFL clubs in Newcastle are 130 years old.

What are people's thoughts on this? I just feel that the FFA and the Jets were handed the golden goose in Newcastle and it has been squandered. Maybe its time to try and attract an option that has nationwide backing from sponsors and commercial television?
    AFL??? nah you want that stuff go to melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    AFL??? nah you want that stuff go to melbourne
    AFL is clearly national now. I lived in Sydney during the 1990s when Sydney Swans were huge. English friends of mine fell in love with the game. I mostly played soccer in my youth but played a few seasons of Aussie Rules in the local competition. It's not a bad sport. I don't remember ever being taught tactics but clearly at a professional level there is an opportunity to develop playings styles and tactics. It's just harder because, unlike football, there is no offside so teams can't constrain play to a small area of the pitch.

If there was an AFL team in Newcastle, would you go to a game? Given that the consensus is that the timing of seasons means that the Knights and Jets don't really compete.