Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bernie Skerrick Thread (shhhhh its code)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Geez you confuse us plebs - not long ago you lambasted the club for aiming low and "finishing in the six" and suggested we take the Leicester route and aim high.

You are like the guys redeveloping the CBD - make it up as you go along.

I think Ernie is just getting it out there that mentality and culture has to change - he knows he can't sack everyone so he is putting them on notice.

And surely you must love his line last night - "we should make the finals, no excuses".
    I think he is making a rod for his own back.
    I don't think we need to be publicly setting goals.

Doing so only places ridiculous expectation on the squad

We are along way from being a competent club
    Let's just focus on that

Results will follow

This BS from him that he expects us to make the 6 next season is just ill-advised

He don't deliver the fans are going to lynch him
    Then we back here again next year for rebuild v11

Getting our house in order is the priority.Not results

Results come afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Let's just focus on that

Results will follow

This BS from him that he expects us to make the 6 next season is just ill-advised

Results come afterwards
    Yet we lambast the club for not having goals? Or at the very least making them public?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

http://www.newcastlefootball.net/hom...akes-the-yoke/

Some of my thoughts on the appointment if you care to have a read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

ernie "BRAVEHEART" merrick ..
    scottish people always sound hard, until you get them to say POOF

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Already the best coach we've ever had
    Last time I'll say this. We had a title-winning coach who oversaw possession football played high up the pitch that moved to ball very quickly, via Carle, to Griffo.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Someone call the cops - there is a stranger in plagues house and is using his computer
    That's ok, one day you guys are gonna actually read my posts and level some justified opinions.

Until then, I'll keep giving everyone a chance.

Let's just focus on that

Results will follow

Results come afterwards
    I actually agree with most of this. I thought it was extremely short sighted of Merrick to say he doesn't believe in 5 year plans. Any successful club surely plans longer than 12 months.

To me we are following the same mistakes of the past, albeit with a better manager.

First mistake is the contract length. I would have liked to have seen Merrick or whoever got the job given a 3 year deal. 2 year deal comes with pressure that if things don't come off perfectly they could be sacked in 9 months, just like all the managers before.

And yes goal for next season should just be about righting the ship. We are in a big hole right now and it's going to be very difficult to recruit our way out of it. We should be signing the best longer term prospects we can rather than just looking for short term solutions and paying overs.

While there is no relegation we should be planning further ahead than 12 months. Just scraping into the 6 next season means nothing if we finish 9th/10th the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    I actually agree with most of this. I thought it was extremely short sighted of Merrick to say he doesn't believe in 5 year plans. Any successful club surely plans longer than 12 months.

To me we are following the same mistakes of the past, albeit with a better manager.

First mistake is the contract length. I would have liked to have seen Merrick or whoever got the job given a 3 year deal. 2 year deal comes with pressure that if things don't come off perfectly they could be sacked in 9 months, just like all the managers before.

And yes goal for next season should just be about righting the ship. We are in a big hole right now and it's going to be very difficult to recruit our way out of it. We should be signing the best longer term prospects we can rather than just looking for short term solutions and paying overs.

While there is no relegation we should be planning further ahead than 12 months. Just scraping into the 6 next season means nothing if we finish 9th/10th the following season.
    I think that the club has read the frustrations of the fans tbh
    They know we don't make the finals yet again next season - it will be carnage.
    The proof of future planning will be reflected in the recruitment over the next 12 months, players that fit his system will be re-signed to longer deals. Those that dont, will be shown the door at the end of the season to be replaced by better options.
    No reason that they cant say that the immediate goal is to make the finals, but the mandate behind the scenes is to lay a foundation for the next 3-5 seasons. Merrick can also have his contract extended towards the end of the season, so that he has the stability to continue shaping the squad as needed.
    You cant expect a manifesto on KPI's for the next decade to be released inside the first round of 5 minute interviews Ernie conducted with the football media.

I will also state that the Jetstream will be reaching out to the club over the next week or so to get some time with Ernie when he arrives so we can flesh out the goals and expectations over the next few years.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Banned

I think a lot of the comments recently from the Gypo about it being his arse if the Merrick appointment don't work is wrong.

The least important priority at the club is the Gypos job
    Always should be and it is weak that self preservation of one's arse was a motivating factor in the recruitment of Merrick

What we need to do is actually develop some ****ing patience and stick it out.

Pick the man and give him the time to build and develop

As you said we are not in a position to recruit our way out of it. We can do some damage this season at righting it but here is the biggest problem that is going to effect Merrick.

Once he gets here and sees how shit we really are first hand he is going to realise he has a lot of work to do to turn things around.

To put us in a position where fans are going to be expecting semi final football is a dumb move

What's going to be worse if we make a couple of big name signings

Then the pressure will mount 10 fold from the plastic fans

The same fans who will be using the words Merrick uttered yesterday and Gypo CEO mouthed about no excuses for not making semis to be lynching them again next March

Merrick will walk out as soon as he sees that we spend less here on players than his previous clubs did on hot lunches.

Ange turned things around pretty quickly in Brisbane, Popovic invented football at WSW in one off season.

Why shouldn't Merrick think along those lines?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Ange turned things around pretty quickly in Brisbane, Popovic invented football at WSW in one off season.

Why shouldn't Merrick think along those lines?
    You are wrong but your point is right.

Look at what Ange did in Brisbane. First season under Ange they finished 2nd last. Ange also made no promises as to where they would finish and only committed and doubled down to the style of play he would coach. He got rid of any players who wouldn't get onboard and in the 2nd season everything came good.

That's what I want to see from Merrick. Build the club,the style of play to be successful. Stop going for sugar hit seasons, paying overs for aging players just to scrape into the 6. Because it either doesn't work and you end up with egg on your face or its short term and you are back where you started the following season.

The proof of future planning will be reflected in the recruitment over the next 12 months, players that fit his system will be re-signed to longer deals. Those that dont, will be shown the door at the end of the season to be replaced by better options.
    No reason that they cant say that the immediate goal is to make the finals, but the mandate behind the scenes is to lay a foundation for the next 3-5 seasons. Merrick can also have his contract extended towards the end of the season, so that he has the stability to continue shaping the squad as needed.
    You cant expect a manifesto on KPI's for the next decade to be released inside the first round of 5 minute interviews Ernie conducted with the football media.

I will also state that the Jetstream will be reaching out to the club over the next week or so to get some time with Ernie when he arrives so we can flesh out the goals and expectations over the next few years.
    Can't agree sorry.

When have the fans not been frustrated and demanded success? And year after year when they fail, what happens then.

It's all good to aim for the 6, in a 10 team comp it's almost impossible not to be in the mix. But that should not be the primary goal. We have come last 2 out of the last 3 seasons, it doesn't get any lower than this.

Now is the time to plan for the longer term future of this club. Sign a marquee 10 and a chinese player, but go hard for the best young Australian talent we can sign. Be that in Australia or playing u19/21 in Europe. Then give the time to learn the system and not expect immediate success. Don't recruit journeyman rejects from other clubs on inflated salaries just to get them to come to Newcastle.

surely Ernie only has two years left till he retires, why would he be planning beyond that...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Banned

If the club has basically sacked Jones and appointed Merrick just to keep the fans happy then the Gypo has to go.

The club actually needs to grow a spine and it's starts with the leadership

If the entire plan is to sack Jones and we will appoint someone who is popular in Merrick just to get the fans off their backs then they have NFI

They are actually happy to keep the club going in mediocrity in this vain quest of making the top 6

The other thing is if the club are actually more concerned by keeping the 4000 or so plastic ****s who call themselves members and are threatening to not renew happy as opposed to sorting what the fundamental failings are then they might as well just fold the club

Either way it appears more and more this Gypo CEO has to ****ing go.

He all talk and complete BS and more worried about his own job than getting done what needs to be done

If the club has basically sacked Jones and appointed Merrick just to keep the fans happy then the Gypo has to go.

If the entire plan is to sack Jones and we will appoint someone who is popular in Merrick just to get the fans off their backs then they have NFI

They are actually happy to keep the club going in mediocrity in this vain quest of making the top 6

The other thing is if the club are actually more concerned by keeping the 4000 or so plastic ****s who call themselves members and are threatening to not renew happy as opposed to sorting what the fundamental failings are then they might as well just fold the club

He all talk and complete BS and more worried about his own job than getting done what needs to be done
    No need for a CEO, just make decisions via twitter poll

Ange also made no promises as to where they would finish and only committed and doubled down to the style of play he would coach.
    oh i remember it differently, his intention was to play good attacking football. I took that as a desire to win.
    not sure anyone changing shit as much as he did in the hope of winning the possession stat.

/hears door bell.

/answers door.

/tells GVE to go home
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Where did i say that?
    The gist of my post was that the club know the supporter base is fed up with not making finals and basically starting from scratch every season with a new coach.
    Hence why Merrick's first message is "we will make the finals", successful coach starts with a message that we want success.
    All the other stuff you mentioned about building the club properly, recruitment around a culture, etc will become evident as time goes on.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Ha please. Jets fans will just give the club a good fist shake and "the frowning of a lifetime", then renew their membership ready for the next year of empty promises and horseshit football.