Good morning, today's Herald story.

Soccer: Jets defender in running for FFA Cup return against Adelaide

James Gardiner

Local Sport

NIKOLAI Topor-Stanley is learning fast what it is like to chase Panamanian striker Abdiel Arroyo around.

The evergreen Jets defender is working his way back to fitness from a calf strain.

On Tuesday, he was matched up against the athletic Central American.

"Chasing Arroyo is not easy," the 34-year-old said. "Getting back in and playing against the best we have is what I want to do. He is quick, very physical and very strong. Touch wood he keeps fit and he will be a good asset for us."

Topor-Stanley sat out the Jets' 3-1 loss to Brisbane and the 4-3 win on penalties against Perth at the Surf City Cup on the Gold Coast last week.

"It was a good time away and we were put to the test with two games in three days," Topor-Stanley said. "I have been a few weeks out with a little [calf] niggle and it is good to be back with the boys."

Although in full training, Topor-Stanley, who hasn't missed a competitive game in two seasons, is unsure if he will be available for the FFA Cup quarter-final against defending champions Adelaide at Coopers Stadium next Tuesday.

"That is up to the coaching staff," he said. "All I can do is train and train hard. It's one step at a time trying to get through training and get back to some sort of fitness. That is my focus. I have had a couple of full training sessions back. To get full fitness, you have to get games and games in succession.

"I may not get there until the season. It is a long season. Injuries are part of the game. I have had a fairly good run.To pick it up was disappointing, but you just have to deal with it. We are in good hands here. The medical staff have done a good job to get me back. I want to be all in and I am always pushing to get back quicker. It doesn't mean you do silly things, it is all within measure."

This is the first time the Jets have progressed to the final eight of the FFA Cup and Topor-Stanley said winning was a priority.

"That is why we play the game; to win silverware, win cups," he said. "It's an opportunity for us to progress and we will be taking it very seriously."

Adelaide have a new coach in Dutchman Gertjan Verbeek and a host of fresh faces.

"I am expecting a different team, but what exactly that might be is a little bit of an unknown," Topor-Stanley said.

Meanwhile, Brisbane forward Dylan Wenzel-Halls is enjoying learning his trade from some of the games greats. The 21-year-old made his A-League debut for the Roar last season under John Aloisi. Now Wenzel-Halls is picking the brain of new boss Robbie Fowler.

"He's always looking to help me but it's not only me, it's looking to help everyone, he's in everyone's ear giving them little tips and feedback which I think it's really important," Wenzel-Halls said. "For me it's exciting to work with someone of his calibre and I think I'm quite lucky to do that and be in that position. But even just watching the likes of Roy (O'Donovan) and how he moves as well, for a young striker, puts me in a good position."