From the Herald

A-League: Jets expect A-League test against Roar and Glory in Surf City Cup

James Gardiner

Newcastle Jets

ERNIE Merrick believes the Newcastle Jets are showing "good signs" but the experienced coach expects his new-look attack to be put to a truer test against A-League opposition at the Surf City Cup on the Gold Coast.

The Jets tackle Brisbane Roar at the Croatian Sports Centre on Sunday and back-up three days later against 2019 Premiers Plate winners Perth Glory.

"The Gold Coast Knights have done a tremendous job in putting on this tournament," Merrick said. "It is great for the community up there and shows how much interest there is in football.

"For us, it is another step in our preparation. Having two games in three days gives us a chance to rotate the squad a little bit.

"The games will be very serious.

"For the Roar, it's really their home crowd. I know its the Gold Coast but I'm sure it is a large part of their catchment area. They will want to do exceptionally well.

"Glory, it is always tough when you live so far away to get quality games, so they will be playing their best team as well."

With former Premier League star Wes Hoolahan, Dimi Petratos and Panamanian striker Abdiel Arroyo prominent, the Jets accounted for Edgeworth 5-1 in the FFA Cup 10 days ago.

The Eagles played with a back five and looked to hurt the A-League side on the counter.

However, they couldn't handle the pace of Arroyo and Nick Fitzgerald and the trickery of Hoolahan and Petratos, who on Friday was overlooked for the Socceroos squad to play Kuwait in a World Cup qualifier on September 10.

"When you play against a back three with two wingbacks, you have to play in a certain way," Merrick said. "We practiced that against Edgeworth and it worked really well. But there is no doubt that it is going to be much more difficult against Brisbane Roar and Perth Glory. Another step up is good.

"If you get it wrong against Edgeworth, you are in real trouble. To score five goals, and perhaps we should have had a few more, is a good sign. But we have to be sharper, we have to be quicker and we know when we get caught on the counter attack against good teams, you pay a price for it. You have to have your defence actively ready for a counter.

"There has been a major focus on getting out of our back half quickly, getting into the front third with numbers and finishing with one touch. That will continue."

Ben Kantarovski has recovered from a groin niggle and will be involved. Nigel Boogaard, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Lachlan Jackson and Glen Moss are still working their way back to full fitness and will travel but not play.

"We could play Glen but will probably give him a little bit longer," Merrick said. "We want him super fit for the season so there is no point in rushing him right now. He should be right for the FFA Cup, so should Nikolai. Nigel is touch and go and so is Lachlan. We will take the whole squad. We are keeping them all together for a bit of bonding as they say."

The Roar, who went down in the FFA Cup to the Central Coast Mariners in a penalty shoot-out on Wednesday night, were expected to field a depleted side against Perth in the Surf City Cup opener on Friday night.

They are expected to be back to close to full-strength against the Jets.

" Robbie Fowler is the new coach, they have changed the team around a fair bit so it will be ideal to see how they play, what there structure is.

"It will be good to catch up with Roy O'Donovan. He is a good guy and did a great job for us when he was here.

"He will be revved up I'm sure. He always is. He is a professional. I'm looking forward to catching up with him again. He did a great job for us when he was here.

"Both teams, I think, will play open and honest football and entertain what should be a good crowd."