Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sydney FC

So brosque telling ref to do his job at half time. Hope the afc have the balls to put him in his place unlike the ffa.
    Plus gotta love them losing their shit at a bad tackle possibly injuring one of their players when they hack the crap out of every opponent each week.

It’s ok. All 14 of them were just flat tonight. But Arnie’s addressed it for the next game.

Didn't they have an eye on this game?
    I think they need more eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    not sure if I should feel unAustralian but I just cheered a bit then when Kashima scored
    nah man. Japan rulz.
    Be proud.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    i'm no expert on injuries, but it seems logical to me that superior strength/conditioning will result in a reduction in the "innocuous" type of injury. i imaginee less fatigue in muscles means that you're better able to ride those kind of things.
    Most of it is a combination of luck and genetics. Take someone like Nolan Ryan as an example. He pitched in the majors for 27 years or so, and even at the end of his career could still throw harder than anyone else in the game for 9 innings or more. Apart from pitching drills all he really did was ride and run. That's it. There was no extensive program - and yet we are never going to probably see anyone that even comes close to his longevity and velocity in the game again. He'd been known to pitch 15 innings and still be throwing the fireball at 99mph and the curve mid 90's [He could hit 108mph early in the game].
    Football wise Stanley Matthews played into his 50's and beyond - again all he really did different was stay off the turps, avoid the smokes, and he ate sensibly - there was no science bullshit to it.

The way Boogs landed the other day would have put anyone out - regardless of any strength and conditioning. Injury management I think is something that's come a long way - but avoiding injuries not so much.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 07-03-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    not sure if I should feel unAustralian but I just cheered a bit then when Kashima scored
    Nuh...anything that makes pretty Japanese girls make their famous squeal is fine by me.

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Moving forward....

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Moving forward....
    Sounds like Stubbins... good sign.
    "We conceded two soft goals"... lol they had no idea how to defend, players totally unmarked in the box.

Maybe these results show Arnie's ability against skilled, well coached, organised teams that have talented players. Maybe he's not up to anything beyond the A League.

Thankfully no one has made him our national coach.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Maybe these results show Arnie's ability against skilled, well coached, organised teams that have talented players. Maybe he's not up to anything beyond the A League.

Hold my drink
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Most of it is a combination of luck and genetics. Take someone like Nolan Ryan as an example. He pitched in the majors for 27 years or so, and even at the end of his career could still throw harder than anyone else in the game for 9 innings or more. Apart from pitching drills all he really did was ride and run. That's it. There was no extensive program - and yet we are never going to probably see anyone that even comes close to his longevity and velocity in the game again. He'd been known to pitch 15 innings and still be throwing the fireball at 99mph and the curve mid 90's [He could hit 108mph early in the game].
    Football wise Stanley Matthews played into his 50's and beyond - again all he really did different was stay off the turps, avoid the smokes, and he ate sensibly - there was no science bullshit to it.

The way Boogs landed the other day would have put anyone out - regardless of any strength and conditioning. Injury management I think is something that's come a long way - but avoiding injuries not so much.
    There are so many rebuttals to this argument you have presented and it is perhaps one of the most misconstrued and ill-informed opinions I've ever read regarding conditioning and injury prevention.

To suggest conditioning and injury prevention programmes are not helpful is downright ludicrous. Genetics, sure, do help. However the swathes of information and studies out there are in complete contradiction to your statement. You'll get your 'rare' cases of people who are able to compete at a high level without a lot of pre-conditioning to get them there but it is highly uncommon.

Rigorous testing protocols should always be utilised when an injured athlete is returning to sport. Sure it may have been a 'different' injury to the one boogard sustained but how much did the "muscle damage" in the lead up play a role in his inability to safely execute a landing (without significant external perturbation)? Was his jumping and landing techniques assessed for? (One would hope so). Some injuries are unavoidable (contact primarily) but non-contact injuries are absolutely avoidable (building fatigue resistance, practice of technique etc etc)

Injury prevention programmes do and in actual fact work. Your argument is the same as what some smokers will say "I never got cancer" - okay but there are millions of others out there that will!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...bee5779eb14b85

Deserting the sinking ship.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westjet View Post
    So brosque telling ref to do his job at half time. Hope the afc have the balls to put him in his place unlike the ffa.
    Plus gotta love them losing their shit at a bad tackle possibly injuring one of their players when they hack the crap out of every opponent each week.

Post of the year and it's only March
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by rhysd View Post
    There are so many rebuttals to this argument you have presented and it is perhaps one of the most misconstrued and ill-informed opinions I've ever read regarding conditioning and injury prevention.

To suggest conditioning and injury prevention programmes are not helpful is downright ludicrous. Genetics, sure, do help. However the swathes of information and studies out there are in complete contradiction to your statement. You'll get your 'rare' cases of people who are able to compete at a high level without a lot of pre-conditioning to get them there but it is highly uncommon.

Rigorous testing protocols should always be utilised when an injured athlete is returning to sport. Sure it may have been a 'different' injury to the one boogard sustained but how much did the "muscle damage" in the lead up play a role in his inability to safely execute a landing (without significant external perturbation)? Was his jumping and landing techniques assessed for? (One would hope so). Some injuries are unavoidable (contact primarily) but non-contact injuries are absolutely avoidable (building fatigue resistance, practice of technique etc etc)

Injury prevention programmes do and in actual fact work. Your argument is the same as what some smokers will say "I never got cancer" - okay but there are millions of others out there that will!!
    Great post

I stated facts. None of which you have actually rebutted.

Show me that neither Ryan or Mathews had long succesful careers. And show me how with so called "modern methods" they would have played longer and better.

The way Boogs landed was nasty - It didn't look like anything preventable.

If you think conditioning could have prevented it let us see the science for his specific situation.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 08-03-2018 at 11:38 PM.

I stated facts. None of which you have actually rebutted.

Show me that neither Ryan or Mathews had long succesful careers. And show me how with so called "modern methods" they would have played longer and better.

The way Boogs landed was nasty - It didn't look like anything preventable.

If you think conditioning could have prevented it let us see the science for his specific situation.
    Re-read my post.

Re-read my post.
    Players have a hard enough time remembering where to be on the field during a game [especially if they have taken a knock or are fatigued]. Having them remember how to jump and land in relation to different surface conditions and how to adjust / compensate for exogenous factors such as the ball changing trajectory, making contact with another player, or making movements to avoid another player seems to be a little bit beyond reason.

Moreover, when you have limited squad sizes, salary caps.. and so on players are going to be playing when they shouldn't - so arguing about players not being ready to return is simply flogging a dead horse. It might be correct to say a player should not have come back but the reality is athletes are usually risk takers, and there is a lot of pressure on them to play as well from coaches, fans... and so on.

Getting the playing surface safer / more consistent would seem just as important - and a hell of a lot easier to achieve.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 09-03-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Players have a hard enough time remembering where to be on the field during a game [especially if they have taken a knock or are fatigued]. Having them remember how to jump and land in relation to different surface conditions and how to adjust / compensate for exogenous factors such as the ball changing trajectory, making contact with another player, or making movements to avoid another player seems to be a little bit beyond reason.

Moreover, when you have limited squad sizes, salary caps.. and so on players are going to be playing when they shouldn't - so arguing about players not being ready to return is simply flogging a dead horse. It might be correct to say a player should not have come back but the reality is athletes are usually risk takers, and there is a lot of pressure on them to play as well from coaches, fans... and so on.

Getting the playing surface safer / more consistent would seem just as important - and a hell of a lot easier to achieve.
    Players aren't going to make conscious changes to their technique during games, you're right. To get anywhere it has to be practiced to the point where its muscle memory and natural. Changes to technique can be achieved - you would know this with your experience with tennis, and while there there is a lot of other aspects to cover in soccer as well as technique, if a coach spotted something detrimental to a player's health that they can work on to remove, it would be doable.

The other thing I would say with regards to Boogs injury. Yes, the way he fell, he's gonna get injured. However I would suggest that if he wasn't in such a state of mental and physical fatigue, he probably would have been more likely to bring his landing leg further forward and in front of him allowing him to land safely. Everyone who's played knows you start getting sloppy and lose your technique if you've busted your gut for a while and your muscle strength is fading. Whether or not it can be coached to be more mindful of it in that specific situation to allow safe landing, I don't know - it seems there would be too many different things to keep track of as you said. But say Boogs was stronger and/or fitter and was not fatiguing as hard at that point (also possible that his previous week's injury was contributing to this) then he would not have had such a sloppy landing.