Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 178

Thread: 2019 NPL Youth

  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    From what I have been told, clubs have the choice to enter 1 or 2 teams in under 11 SAP next year.
    interesting.

    The more I see the more i feel there should be 1 team per club but ensure all npl clubs enter including girls teams.

    Thats at least 25 to 30 teams

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    interesting.

    The more I see the more i feel there should be 1 team per club but ensure all npl clubs enter including girls teams.

    Thats at least 25 to 30 teams
    I tend to agree, however I know the club Jr is at is only opting for 1 team.

    I think it will be interesting though in under 12’s if the Jets cherry pick the stronger “clubs” how they will go recruiting replacements if they have dropped kids in the past.

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    Still applies only to NPL & NPL1 clubs although it's not compulsory. There's an U10 HV girls team already playing in U9
    HV have two girls teams playing in the sap comps an U/11ís in the U/9ís comp and an U/12ís in the U/10ís comp. Currently HV only keep their girls for two years before they go and trial for the WPL at 13. They are looking into the possibility of changing this and keeping the girls for another year so the step up from small field to full size isnít as great as it currently is.

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    HV have two girls teams playing in the sap comps an U/11’s in the U/9’s comp
    Under 11's in the 9's. Completely makes sense now. Some of our boys looked like dwarves compared to them.

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    From what I'm told Lake Macquarie have a team which pretty much were able to play 9s again. That's great as they did it tough last year and now get the rewards. I don't watch a lot of 9s as we are in the 10s

    I saw a boy in the Olympic vs Broadmeadow game last week. Whack a ball top corner with his right foot and then 15 minutes later do it with his left foot from 10m out. Keeper could only watch both times. I was sitting near the teams parents and they weren't surprised at all. I stood there having my WOW moment and he just jogged back to halfway without a care in the world. There are some great kids out there. I have found myself going out of my way to watch other clubs a lot more between our games this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    I saw the Hamilton vs Broadmeadow SAP games last week. Hamilton are once again the teams to beat
    Broadmeadow were very impressive too. It was an amazing game and those clubs are doing something right. All 4 of those teams were a step above any other Ive seen this year
    Olympic and Magic 9s and 10s played again this past weekend and again there was some great talent on show. Really good matches and some terrific goals. A number of headed goals from corners in the 9s. Unheard of at this age. Great skill across both 9s and 10s.

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    Olympic and Magic 9s and 10s played again this past weekends.
    Don't they play every weekend?

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Don't they play every weekend?
    Ha ha. Six games per season too much for you??

  8. #88
    NPL: Youth development set to stay at local level, but at what cost?

    You would be hard pressed to find a football person in the Hunter who doesn't think our best juniors should be competing regularly against the state's elite in Sydney.

    But without intervention from FFA, it appears unlikely to happen anytime soon.

    The Newcastle Jets Youth team and underpinning sides have been competing against clubs in the Northern NSW state league/NPL since 2012. Younger teams play a year or two up in the NPL Youth.

    Their female counterparts, though, have been in Sydney's NSW NPL Women's competition since 2015.

    NNSW Football and the Jets have lobbied Football NSW for the boys to follow suit and join Central Coast, Western Sydney and Sydney FC with youth teams in the metropolitan league.

    However, the addition of the Jets would invariably mean another club missing out. Politics and restructures - the NSW NPL men's will expand to include a fourth division in 2020 - have left Newcastle out of the equation.

    Jets chief and youth coach Lawrie McKinna discussed a potential move with Football NSW last year. McKinna would welcome a spot in NPL 2, where Central Coast Mariners and Western Sydney Wanderers academies compete, but he said "nothing had changed".

    "We spoke about it the year before, but we would need to come in too far down the leagues," McKinna said.

    "It wasn't even offered, it was just spoken about, that we maybe would have to come in at the fourth division and work our way up. By the time you do that, you might lose four or five years development so it's maybe too big a hike."

    The short-term pain, though, could be worth the long-term gain.

    Sydney's NPL Youth 1 and 2 leagues are packed with 26 and 18 teams respectively. In the NNSW NPL, the Jets sides play a year up in under 13, 14, 15 and 16 groups, and two years higher in the under 18s and 20s, in an attempt to improve competition.

    It has brought mixed results and arguably poor returns in player development when compared to eras before the A-League when the Hunter's best prospects had weekly competition outside the region instead of now playing local clubs and in an eight-game summer NYL.

    This year, the Jets under 12s have won 14 of 15 games in NPL under-13s, scoring 117 goals and conceding 13. The under 15s have scored 89 goals and let in 20 in the under 16s. They recently beat Charlestown 22-0.

    "We play a year up now, it's competitive, but some of the games blow out," McKinna said. "When you look at the girls program, we get double the amount in the national teams identification process than we have with the boys and you can attribute that maybe to the girls playing in Sydney."...nh
    hmmm So we actually tried

  9. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Aberglasslyn
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    hmmm So we actually tried
    Doesn't sound like we tried hard enough. Needed to be knocking on the door constantly. Not just speaking about it last year, that means we have done nothing for last 6 months.

    Plus, surely starting at bottom of NSW leagues is better then winning games 22-0 in local league.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Doesn't sound like we tried hard enough. Needed to be knocking on the door constantly. Not just speaking about it last year, that means we have done nothing for last 6 months.

    Plus, surely starting at bottom of NSW leagues is better then winning games 22-0 in local league.
    got that right. We need to be there.

  11. #91
    Senior Member Hunter403's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,744
    Amazing, Sydney has 3 NPL divisions with a 4th coming and we can't arrange 2. Amazing that they have all of those facilitates to meet NPL standard (heavy sarcasm here).

    The simple fact is that NNSW football has mismanaged the region for years and we have a lot to catch up on.

    Start at the beginning. Make SAP (or equivalent) compulsory for all NPL and NL1 clubs. It should also be compulsory that they have women's teams.

    Go to 2 x 8 or 10 team comps (preferably 8 playing 3 times) If that doesn't meet the FFA criteria for calling the comp NPL, then don't. Northern League 1 and Northern League 2 will do. Who cares about a name.
    Give all clubs notice that promotion and relegation will begin at the end of the 2022 season
    Give up on the fantasy of enclosed single use single grounds. What we have is what we have and Lake Macquarie Council want all grounds multi user. Alternatively, if you are dead set on this course, talk to the Council and negotiate.
    Put all youth NPL and NL1 teams in one comp split into 2 pools and mix it up each year. No promotion and relegation for youth. Accept the fact that until the SAP comes through, there will be blow outs. The pain for the next few years will be worth it as the kids come through SAP.
    Do whatever it takes to get the junior jets into the Sydney NPL. Absolute waste of time them playing up here. If NSW football are worried about some local club missing out, then get the FFA involved and look at the bigger picture. What are we trying to achieve with youth football? We are sifting through thousands of kids looking for that diamond that will go on to play at the highest level. If we exclude regional centres like Newcastle then it is a disgrace and short sighted.

    Ok, soap box away...
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

  12. #92
    Senior Member Thomas477's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lambton, Novocastria
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Amazing, Sydney has 3 NPL divisions with a 4th coming and we can't arrange 2. Amazing that they have all of those facilitates to meet NPL standard (heavy sarcasm here).

    The simple fact is that NNSW football has mismanaged the region for years and we have a lot to catch up on.

    Start at the beginning. Make SAP (or equivalent) compulsory for all NPL and NL1 clubs. It should also be compulsory that they have women's teams.

    Go to 2 x 8 or 10 team comps (preferably 8 playing 3 times) If that doesn't meet the FFA criteria for calling the comp NPL, then don't. Northern League 1 and Northern League 2 will do. Who cares about a name.
    Give all clubs notice that promotion and relegation will begin at the end of the 2022 season
    Give up on the fantasy of enclosed single use single grounds. What we have is what we have and Lake Macquarie Council want all grounds multi user. Alternatively, if you are dead set on this course, talk to the Council and negotiate.
    Put all youth NPL and NL1 teams in one comp split into 2 pools and mix it up each year. No promotion and relegation for youth. Accept the fact that until the SAP comes through, there will be blow outs. The pain for the next few years will be worth it as the kids come through SAP.
    Do whatever it takes to get the junior jets into the Sydney NPL. Absolute waste of time them playing up here. If NSW football are worried about some local club missing out, then get the FFA involved and look at the bigger picture. What are we trying to achieve with youth football? We are sifting through thousands of kids looking for that diamond that will go on to play at the highest level. If we exclude regional centres like Newcastle then it is a disgrace and short sighted.

    Ok, soap box away...
    Sounds like someone is missing taking his frustrations out on a Friday night....
    Middleby Gone

  13. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Amazing, Sydney has 3 NPL divisions with a 4th coming and we can't arrange 2. Amazing that they have all of those facilitates to meet NPL standard (heavy sarcasm here).

    The simple fact is that NNSW football has mismanaged the region for years and we have a lot to catch up on.

    Start at the beginning. Make SAP (or equivalent) compulsory for all NPL and NL1 clubs. It should also be compulsory that they have women's teams.

    Go to 2 x 8 or 10 team comps (preferably 8 playing 3 times) If that doesn't meet the FFA criteria for calling the comp NPL, then don't. Northern League 1 and Northern League 2 will do. Who cares about a name.
    Give all clubs notice that promotion and relegation will begin at the end of the 2022 season
    Give up on the fantasy of enclosed single use single grounds. What we have is what we have and Lake Macquarie Council want all grounds multi user. Alternatively, if you are dead set on this course, talk to the Council and negotiate.
    Put all youth NPL and NL1 teams in one comp split into 2 pools and mix it up each year. No promotion and relegation for youth. Accept the fact that until the SAP comes through, there will be blow outs. The pain for the next few years will be worth it as the kids come through SAP.
    Do whatever it takes to get the junior jets into the Sydney NPL. Absolute waste of time them playing up here. If NSW football are worried about some local club missing out, then get the FFA involved and look at the bigger picture. What are we trying to achieve with youth football? We are sifting through thousands of kids looking for that diamond that will go on to play at the highest level. If we exclude regional centres like Newcastle then it is a disgrace and short sighted.

    Ok, soap box away...
    Soap box warranted.

    I agree with every word you said. Especially the part about SAP and Womens teams being compulsory for all.

  14. #94
    Senior Member Hunter403's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Sounds like someone is missing taking his frustrations out on a Friday night....
    Apparently I held them back...
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

  15. #95
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Especially the part about SAP and Womens teams being compulsory for all.
    yeah again, im a fan of this.
    plus, some clubs already treat their SAP kids as part of the bigger picture. I know Edgy invited their SAP kids to the seniors function last year (im sure that was the presso). It made them all think how cool it was to hang with the big boys, and that they could be right there if they continued. It would also obviously breed some loyalty on the players part to maybe want to be at Edgy long term instead of club hopping year to year.

    Ive also seen Magic use their kids as ambassadors for the club and a few other clubs use their SAP kids to walk out with their first grade teams and play mini games at halftime at the games.

    All of these little things build loyalty, desire and a sense of purpose to the whole thing. It would probably come as no surprise that these clubs going the extra mile are also the clubs doing the best on the field too.

    and trust me, Plague Jnr getting to be in the sheds after the game and sing the team song with the first grade team had him absolutely buzzing. again, it was players/coaches only in there, no parents. he had to earn the right to do it by being in that SAP squad. it meant something.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    All of these little things build loyalty, desire and a sense of purpose to the whole thing. It would probably come as no surprise that these clubs going the extra mile are also the clubs doing the best on the field too.
    Totally Agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Ive also seen Magic use their kids as ambassadors for the club
    I hadn't seen this, in what capacity was it? Great Idea IMO.

  17. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Aberglasslyn
    Posts
    84
    Northern Inland (Tamworth) have advertised on their FB page asking for expressions of interest for NPL Youth for 2020.

    Haven't they already tried this and pulled out weeks before the comp started?

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Northern Inland (Tamworth) have advertised on their FB page asking for expressions of interest for NPL Youth for 2020.

    Haven't they already tried this and pulled out weeks before the comp started?
    Good luck to them, I hope they can get a team in and be competitive.

  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    150
    Does anyone know what the pathways are for boys to play State football for NSW? What ages do kids compete at State level? Are they selected into NNSWF or Newcastle Football teams first? Or are there a series of open trials?

    Iíve tried Googling this but canít work out if how boys become available to play State level rep football.

  20. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,564
    Sounds like the school system?
    I think the highest was NNSW as that’s our state federation. In the past NNSW teams would compete at state championships. Not sure what happens now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •