Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Premier Club SAP

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I can't see how it would matter if a kid goes into the B side. it just means that others have been deemed more suitable / better at the time of selection. There's no reason why a kid in the B team can't get back into the A team. Likewise, there's no reason why an under performing or a kid positionally not required in the A team won't get assigned to the B team - it can even be a good thing.
    I think the theory here is good, but I suspect the reality is that there would be very limited "promotion" or "demotion" in these situations. There might be some interchanging of players between teams, but I'd bet this is more on a needs must basis, rather than rewarding better performing kids in the B teams.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    it wouldnt surprise me if a good percentage of our 'A' kids are gone at the end of this year, and the club has to wear a huge burden of that responsibility.
    It sounds like the TD who decided on the A and B team concept has a fair bit to answer for. Is anything being done to try and reassure these kids that your club is the best pathway for them next year? It would be a crying shame if all the best players jumped ship to another club, not just for your team, but also for the competition. You need as many strong teams as possible - if all the best kids are loaded into just a few clubs, the whole thing suffers.

I hope they sort this out.

his plan of getting the better 'B' kids a run in the 'A' team during the season has actually been met with a lot of resistance by the B team parents.they have openly expressed why their kids should help out the A team at the expense of their own team. word is a few of them have openly refused to play up. again, another unintended but predictable consequence of grading.
    I completely understand the resistance here. By setting up A and B teams, you've immediately told one group they are better than the other, and are essentially telling those B team players they should be grateful for an occasional run with the A team. If it was sold another way - i.e. here are the two teams we think are our A and B, but we will be constantly monitoring and will "reward" (for the want of a better word) the better performing players by shifting them up - then at least everyone knows where they stand and those kids in the B who want to get into the A team know they can get there. By the sounds of it, the B team kids are your club are only being asked to play with the A team when the A team is short on numbers. Where is the incentive for the B team players?

Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    Is anything being done to try and reassure these kids that your club is the best pathway for them next year?
    nope.

the main deciding factor in a lot of parents and kids choices will be coaches. both teams in our clubs have awesome coaches, not just for their football knowledge, but their ability to deal with the kids on a personal level. i cant speak highly enough of the coaches (and to be fair, i think the majority of coaches in the program are great).
    If our coach left and there was no idea of a replacement my kid will be taking up offers to trial at other clubs, and id say a lot of others will too.

as of this moment the club has given no indication when trials are on, or who is coaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

nope.

the main deciding factor in a lot of parents and kids choices will be coaches. both teams in our clubs have awesome coaches, not just for their football knowledge, but their ability to deal with the kids on a personal level. i cant speak highly enough of the coaches (and to be fair, i think the majority of coaches in the program are great).
    If our coach left and there was no idea of a replacement my kid will be taking up offers to trial at other clubs, and id say a lot of others will too.

as of this moment the club has given no indication when trials are on, or who is coaching.
    Do the kids know whether they will be kept on next year (if they want to), or does everyone need to come back and trial???

I completely understand the resistance here. By setting up A and B teams, you've immediately told one group they are better than the other, and are essentially telling those B team players they should be grateful for an occasional run with the A team. If it was sold another way - i.e. here are the two teams we think are our A and B, but we will be constantly monitoring and will "reward" (for the want of a better word) the better performing players by shifting them up - then at least everyone knows where they stand and those kids in the B who want to get into the A team know they can get there. By the sounds of it, the B team kids are your club are only being asked to play with the A team when the A team is short on numbers. Where is the incentive for the B team players?

just to be clear, they were never ever referred to as an 'A' and a 'B' team in front of the kids. and the coaches have told everyone concerned to never refer to the kids as such. i only use the terms because its easier to define whats going on. but yeah, the parents were aware of how the squads would be broken up.

pre-season it was stressed that during the year kids would be given a chance to 'play up', not just to fill in, but if form warranted it. it happened a couple of times at the start of the year but to be honest, as the year went on the kids in the 'A' team were proving themselves to be so much better it made if really difficult to 'drop' them based on form. again, the odd occasion where a fill in was asked, the other kids came in a and in most cases did a great job.

there are a couple of really really good kids in the other team and i hope this experience doesnt wear them down. especially now as if kids leave for greener pastures these kids should be the first ones picked for next year (but of course our club wont be that clever).

but what i can see happening is that the club will trial last, make everyone trial and select the shiny new kids that are club shopping. these club shopping kids will then take up the best offer, leaving these kids on the fringe waiting around for the 2nd lot of invites.
    i dont like that process, but old mate the TD will no doubt be there on trial night letting everyone know whos boss.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Do the kids know whether they will be kept on next year (if they want to), or does everyone need to come back and trial???
    they havent announced anything.

there was a hint of an internal trial then opening it up for any extra spots, but again, they announced that they may announce something and to stand by for the announcement of an announcement.
    im assuming the very very best couple of kids will be assured of a spot already (im sure this happened last year for a variety of reasons). but the way this stuff is going apart from the coaches getting re-appointed and hearing it from them im loathe to believe anything.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doopche View Post
    Ha ha well this Sounds like a an argument had on here previously about teams stacking teams.
    So please tell me the part where Neil Orr told you to stack the A team with the better player whilst the poor old B team cops a flogging?

Only way the poor old B will develop is if they have some decent players in that side also, why didn’t Neil let the 10s boy play in the B team if it was about him playing his own age kids?? I know why because it was about getting a result.
    So let’s not be hypocrites here hey. You can polish it up anyway you like it but most are out for the development of their own kid and the results matter, if they didn’t you would even the teams out so every child can develop.

You say the “bigger clubs” but what the difference if they leave now or in 2 years when your club has no NPL to offer them? Because you know that’s where they will end up.
    Still having a cry you pathetic dweeb. Disappear already, hopefully permanently.

Your team got beaten by a better team and good on them. Move on sook. Everyone else has

Im interested to know if anyone here has an opinion if a points table was introduced for SAP, would that have anegetive impact on the young players or a positive impact?
    Development is the key issue but should it be brought back in?
    Could there be benifits for it or is it just pissing in the wind?
    I believe netball still have it and it seams to be encouraging when you see how the players are improving across a global network.
    I remember when i was a kid and so much wanted to be in the grand final, and it never came to that , but it didnt destroy my life because of it.
    Just of interest, nothing more.
    Last edited by Duzmzn; 14-08-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duzmzn View Post
    Im interested to know if anyone here has an opinion if a points table was introduced for SAP, would that have anegetive impact on the young players or a positive impact?
    I believe netball still have it and it seams to be encouraging when you see how the players are improving across a global network.
    I remember when i was a kid and so much wanted to be in the grand final, and it never came to that , but it didnt destroy my life because of it.
    At some stage a points table becomes handy. I've coached kids of all ages and I think where a table is handy is for the Jets and Northern coaches to be able to see which teams are dominant and then they can invite the stronger teams into training and games against, Jets teams in their own age group for example and other strong squads.
    Generally, the stronger teams have a good coach who might have played at a decent level, usually a dad. NNSW coaching staff can then identify potential Jets or TSP players and coaches who can contribute.
    IMO, NNSW should be targeting these coaches and paying for coaching courses. If they have kids in SAP they will generally by around for a number of years and can add value to the programs.

id say no, not for any other reason than the kids (and coaches and parents) know the scores, they know who the good teams and who they expect to have an easier time with. they celebrate wins and dont like losing.
    the thing is if the coaches start to focus on winning, then the place goes to shit. ive seen our coach unhappy at the performance when they put 10 past a team, and ive seen him really excited to play well and only score a few goals even if its a win/draw or loss. whilst ever he is concentrating (and being judged) on the football and development of players then the scores and success will eventually come.

sadly, a minority of coaches are only concerned with scoring and winning, so much so that they'll blow up at their own players and refs because things arent going their way. its not needed at that level and puts the coaches in a bad light.

once the kids get to full field/squads etc then yeah lets get serious. for now. nah, id rather the focus be on the football.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Hey look whos back. Anyway seeing as though you refrained from the insults of posts prior (which i appreciate), and you also raise some very valid points here im more than happy to discuss.

nah, sorry we arent going back onto NNSW blokes here. The decision to 'stack' teams was made by the club technical director. It must be said that the coaches werent comfortable with it, as they had 2 even teams last year. but the directive was given and that was that. his reasoning has been noted, but to be fair the bloke hasnt shown his face around training or games the whole year so im not all that impressed he had such a say in the matter. i personally think it has done more harm that good to the club overall, but has done more good than harm to the 'better' kids.

totally agree, and its exactly what worked so well last year. again, there was one bloke in the club that was a fan of this system and he had final say. his plan of getting the better 'B' kids a run in the 'A' team during the season has actually been met with a lot of resistance by the B team parents.they have openly expressed why their kids should help out the A team at the expense of their own team. word is a few of them have openly refused to play up. again, another unintended but predictable consequence of grading.

oh for sure. every parent wants the best situation for their kid. and clubs want the best situation for their teams. its the reason why 'other' teams have been on the phone to our players for next year to come over. they are more than happy to turf kids they developed over 2 years in favour of a shiny new thing that has been playing well in a different kit. poaching players to join clubs is just another way of stacking teams. again though, if my kid was going to get a better footballing education at another team then if he wanted to go id encourage it. one of the main 'culprits' (not meant as a derogatory term) ringing our boys isnt actually one of the 'best' teams results wise, but they play really good football so you can see how a kid would love to be part of that.

again valid, and its been a massive part of the frustration of our club. they keep banging on about what they want to be, and have endless emails telling us they are about to announce something, but have done nothing. when you are behind like they are you need to be the first ones out there suring up your players/coaches/program for next year. but they are last. meanwhile other clubs have announced trial dates and as ive said are actively out there asking parents of kids to bring their kids over to trail/give them an opportunity.

it wouldnt surprise me if a good percentage of our 'A' kids are gone at the end of this year, and the club has to wear a huge burden of that responsibility.
    Lots of complaints and opinions about your club Plague. Do you get involved or help? Do you air the concerns with the TD in person or simply take a few pot shots on forums?. A tip.....it might seem like the end of the world when kids are 10, but let kids be kids and enjoy themselves. A or B teams, "big" clubs or your lax club, it is all swings and roundabouts and when Johnny or Mary are 18 it is a distant memory and their football career is either dead or at a local park playing in a sub standard NPL. There is nothing worse than football expert parents who have never kicked a ball at a decent level and their opinions based on their Jets membership as qualifications....oh wait yes there is....those parents who see fit to tee off on volunteers at clubs doing their best with zero support from NNSWF and the FFA. Make a call, talk to your club and see what you can do to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    Lots of complaints and opinions about your club Plague. Do you get involved or help? Do you air the concerns with the TD in person or simply take a few pot shots on forums?. A tip.....it might seem like the end of the world when kids are 10, but let kids be kids and enjoy themselves. A or B teams, "big" clubs or your lax club, it is all swings and roundabouts and when Johnny or Mary are 18 it is a distant memory and their football career is either dead or at a local park playing in a sub standard NPL. There is nothing worse than football expert parents who have never kicked a ball at a decent level and their opinions based on their Jets membership as qualifications....oh wait yes there is....those parents who see fit to tee off on volunteers at clubs doing their best with zero support from NNSWF and the FFA. Make a call, talk to your club and see what you can do to help.

whilst i appreciate your advice and tips on parenting and football and life in general, its clear you know nothing about the situation we are talking about. if you did you would know that im not talking as one parent, but as someone trying to navigate the whole process from NNSW down to parents. feel free to point out all the 'teeing off' on volunteers you are so indignant about.

questions are asked on this forum regarding this program. i try to answer them as honestly as possible from my perspective. if you have any specific questions then ask away, if i can answer them then i will as honestly as possible. if you are one of these people who feel that every written word is some sort of attack or criticism then all i can suggest that you re-read the posts and think a little harder.

as mentioned, my kid has actually been a beneficiary of the system as it currently stands. if i was half the asshole you make me out to be id be hootin and hollerin about it. instead, someone asked a question and i gave an answer. forgive me for trying to provide it.

as for the old chestnut about people 'never kicking a ball at a decent level'. firstly, good job telling on yourself, and you are 100% right. I will now take a back seat and leave the forum open to our members such as Messi, Ronaldo and Griff as they are the only opinions that matter to people like you.

oh wait.
    Last edited by plague; 14-08-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Nah. development would go out the window pretty quickly.

Have a summer comp or futsal comp to if theyre desperate for plasticware

Banned
    Immediately creates a feeling of a 2nd division.

Remember the A team are not playing the other "bests" each week so they arent being pushed hard as often. The weaker team if not competitive will also develop bad habits trying quick fixes.

But ultimately it depends on the strength or weaknesses of each team. If As are winning 80% and Bs 50% of games then its not a bad mix. If its 95% 20% its stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    If As are winning 80% and Bs 50% of games then its not a bad mix. If its 95% 20% its stupid
    without knowing the full data (because its not kept or cared about) but judging by conversations with coaches after matches id say the games where each team felt they played the better football would be closer to your 80% (A's) and 50% (B's) mix theory than the 95-20.
    Seems like I am WRONG

without knowing the full data (because its not kept or cared about) but judging by conversations with coaches after matches id say the games where each team felt they played the better football would be closer to your 80% (A's) and 50% (B's) mix theory than the 95-20.
    There are definitely a few clubs in the 9's that fall into the 95% / 20% category though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    There are definitely a few clubs in the 9's that fall into the 95% / 20% category though.
    Agree, and some of these clubs are ones that picked 'even teams.
    Just shows that A and B or even reams, shit just gets random.

done
    Last edited by djjones; 14-09-2019 at 08:37 PM.

I saw a post on facebook from Maitland saying they had about 70 kids turn up for Under 9's trials this week.
    That's a huge step up from the reported 15 kids they had turn up to their first trial last year.

Jaffas reportedly had 50 or so kids at their trials last week as well.

Is SAP becoming more well know, being advertised better by the clubs or something else leading more kids to try out?