Page 67 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I am sure you have posted this one before Dunster, but it still rings true today.. Scarily so..

Nowadays you don't need to have a record deal to get your music out there. Between YouTube and Band camp anything can find its way into public.

But Mumble rap came straight from Band Camp so maybe it's not all that bad having it filtered by Execs, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    You aren't talking about actual music. You're talking about something different. Music is what you listen to, you're talking about the bits people study, break down, analyse, over analyse and then analyse again. That's not the best part of listening to music, trust me. I used to do the same thing.

Prime example, The only purpose a solo has is to get the guitarist laid and allow the singer to have a drink and fix his hair up. Punk doesn't have solos because the soap wax used to keep the singers hair in place takes weeks to die and they just drink whenever they want. Hence no solos.
    This is a joke right ? No solos in Punk music - pullllllllllllleassssssssssssssssse.

Yeah but Maroon 5 is playing the Superbowl.........in Atlanta of all places, so yeah music is dead anyway.

Nowadays you don't need to have a record deal to get your music out there. Between YouTube and Band camp anything can find its way into public.

But Mumble rap came straight from Band Camp so maybe it's not all that bad having it filtered by Execs, lol
    Bands used to get their music out there by actually performing it live, building a reputation / following then recording it.

These days the opportunities for new bands to perform live and actually make money from it are all but gone.

There's a dollar to be made in publishing but that's pretty much it now days. Even session works completely farked now with the likes of pro-tools and so on putting musicians out of work.

Do you really want an industry of Kanye's ?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Yeah but Maroon 5 is playing the Superbowl.........in Atlanta of all places, so yeah music is dead anyway.
    Sad thing is they have had a career spanning 25 years now - which tells us all we need to know about the state of the music industry.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    This is a joke right ? No solos in Punk music - pullllllllllllleassssssssssssssssse.

Much better.

Not to mention Bayside, a Wilhelm Scream and Four Year Strong.

Gotta read my posts before you get your knickers in a knot Dunster.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Much better.

Not to mention Bayside, a Wilhelm Scream and Four Year Strong.

Gotta read my posts before you get your knickers in a knot Dunster.
    Subjectively speaking - this is ****ing terrible.

1st opinion of the day.

Is Sum41 punk though? I woulda thought (once again) pop masquerading as sickly-sweet sugar punk?
    Then again, next we will be saying that Avril Lavigne was considered punk too..

Is Sum41 punk though? I woulda thought (once again) pop masquerading as sickly-sweet sugar punk?
    This is the result of what Frank Zappa talked about in the video you posted Bon.

I think I'd be horrified to hear what sort of music Frodo was subjected to by his parents.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-01-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Sum 41 is definitely Punk.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUultIb2pPc
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

This is the result of what Frank Zappa talked about in the video you posted Bon.

I think I'd be horrified to hear what sort of music Frodo was subjected to by his parents.

Firstly, read my posts. I was joking about the solos thing. I then doubled down on the joke and you still didn't get it Dunster. Stop getting so worked up over something as trivial as music. What music did your parents make you listen to that made you hate music so much?

And Bon, you get a similar response to what Premy got. Punk music has nothing to do with the punk movement anymore. It started out linked with the punk scene and when it died the music continued and evolved.

These days the opportunities for new bands to perform live and actually make money from it are all but gone.
    Yeah this statement proves how out of touch and fossilized you are. The Live Music scene in Australia is alive and well and thriving.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Yeah this statement proves how out of touch and fossilized you are. The Live Music scene in Australia is alive and well and thriving.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Actually Premy, having played in bands for 25 years, the live scene is shit now for up and coming bands compared to what it was.

The live original scene unfortunately peaked in the early to mid 90's. The days when most pubs were packed with punters watching original music. Back then there was limitless opportunities to play, regardless of genre, and people got out and supported it. Most of the venues from back then are long gone and what remains is hardly open to original bands. People stopped supporting, pokies and cover bands took over. And don't get me started on the Pay to Play system of band comps.

We even got payed to play back then. I remember nights playing 2-3 gigs a night running from venue to venue.

Yes there are good bands now, but it is a lot harder for bands to get regular gigs, let alone get any decent money for it.

Is the music better or worse now, thats all semantics and open to the listener. I won't buy into that.

More pop punk or alt rock. They have strong metal roots

Well tickets are book for the David Hasselhoff gig here in switzerland in october.... just for the laughs.... (did you know its because of him the berlin wall came down) ive been looking for freedom!!!!!
    Amigos Aarau

Yeah mate.. I know it is, there are obvious similarities, but to me it shouldn't be labeled the same..

If you want some hardcore, get to the Small Ballroom on 28th of Jan to see Terror play..
    Beeen, you getting to this?

TERROR!!!! get to it
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by goaliepersempre View Post
    Well tickets are book for the David Hasselhoff gig here in switzerland in october.... just for the laughs.... (did you know its because of him the berlin wall came down) ive been looking for freedom!!!!!
    Saw him in Newcastle a few years ago. Was a surprisingly good night, not sure if it was a music or comedy show. He will take the p!ss out of himself more than any audience member ever could.

Mind you, his "Australian Medley" included 500 Miles by the Proclaimers.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Actually Premy, having played in bands for 25 years, the live scene is shit now for up and coming bands compared to what it was.
    whilst its true that the traditional live music scene isnt what it once was, id argue its 'easier' for artists to get their music out there these days.

Streaming services, social media platforms have put a lot of power back into the artists hands vs being up against suits in charge of radio stations/record labels/venues. This prob started with JJJ Unearthed back in the day and has powered since then.

also, a lot of artists who have received enough exposure are now taking on their own live gigs.
    Mrs Plague was recently involved with a band booking a Newcastle venue, they fronted the cash, negotiated ticket sales and bar sales. The band took all the risk, but backed themselves to sell the joint out (which they did) and it was an extremely lucrative nights work for them.

I went and saw Chvrches the other night at the Opera House. again, someone thought outside the box and put them in a venue that not only was iconic, but showcased their sound amazingly. No support band, and there was a buzzer that went off outside to let everyone know the gig was starting. It was very different to anything id been to regarding live music.
    Not sure who was more blown away by that gig ever happening, the crowd or the band. But it worked.

Look at the bands playing the freaking Vineyards these days. Just bizarre.

The landscape has changed, but what industry hasnt in the last 20 years? Bands are dealing with what pretty much all of us do now, adapt or perish.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Agreed.
    Name a licenced venue in Newcastle where new bands regularly get a chance to play original material in front of an audience for money.

It used to be a case that if you wanted to play somewhere you could - now it's near impossible to get a gig anywhere decent - to be able to actually run a 100w Plexi or a 59 Bassman and so on - forget it - venues just don't allow that type of thing anymore.