Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Regz= newy hero

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    So you want 9 squaddies/younguns taking up at least $450,000 (league min wage).
    that leaves 17 players at an average of $123k for your "must be first teamers" portion.
    even taking out 3 players (marquee/aus/youngun) leaves you an average of $150k per for a team of first teamers.

Arent we paying Carney $250k? that figure of $150 lools wayyyyyyy to low to work.

or is my maths wrong?
    I don't do Squaddie I do young players.

Being squads are 23 you need 6-7 of them on my method. Lundy's one and then we fill the rest with a couple of locals like Pappas Cowburn etc and then scour the country for the rest.
    Go find the next Taggz or Beard

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    I don't do Squaddie I do young players.

Being squads are 23 you need 6-7 of them on my method. Lundy's one and then we fill the rest with a couple of locals like Pappas Cowburn etc and then scour the country for the rest.
    Go find the next Taggz or Beard
    i dont have a problem with this theory at all.
    my problem is fitting the other 15-17 players into the salary cap and all of them being 'better' than squaddie/Regan level.
    once again im not hating on the theory of it, but can you really find 17 players good enough to match it with the best for $150k each?

i think everyone on here would rather have a squad full of awesome players earning bugger all. but the world dont work like that.
    thats the main reason we have your regans, bks and peppers.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

I'm with mkfs... Regan is a good bloke, and can do a competent job, but he has also had a few years to break out... I've seen this forum go on about the kales of the youth scene who've missed their chance, and honestly it's because we persist with guys who aren't quite there yet, hoping something will happen.

Your Regan's and Abbas's are cheap, reliable players, but they aren't the ones who are going to take a team to the next level... They also aren't the players any other team are scrambling to sign when they're off contract. Why waste the money and potential playing time on them when there is a bunch of untapped younger guys not getting a go.

Unfortunately the jets board and a large portion of fans don't look at this bigger picture, but instead persist with these guys because "they're newy through and through" and "one of our own"... While it's an admirable quality, there will be more of these guys in the future, there always is, but if they don't get a chance here, they'll be snapped up or ship off elsewhere for it, and we'll continue with an average team that embodies "newybrah" as one jets fan affectionately used to refer to it, but doesn't provide results.

No results for a few more years, and what youth with any potential in Newcastle is going to want to play for the team or the town?
    Last edited by Scourge; 24-05-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    I'm with mkfs... Regan is a good bloke, and can do a competent job, but he has also had a few years to break out... I've seen this forum go on about the kales of the youth scene who've missed their chance, and honestly it's because we persist with guys who aren't quite there yet, hoping something will happen.

Your Regan's and Abbas's are cheap, reliable players, but they aren't the ones who are going to take a team to the next level... They also aren't the players any other team are scrambling to sign when they're off contract. Why waste the money and potential playing time on them when there is a bunch of untapped younger guys not getting a go.

Unfortunately the jets board and a large portion of fans don't look at this bigger picture, but instead persist with these guys because "they're newy through and through" and "one of our own"... While it's an admirable quality, there will be more of these guys in the future, there always is, but if they don't get a chance here, they'll be snapped up or ship off elsewhere for it, and we'll continue with an average team that embodies "newybrah" as one jets fan affectionately used to refer to it, but doesn't provide results.

No results for a few more years, and what youth with any potential in Newcastle is going to want to play for the team or the town?
    Totally agree ^^^^
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    can do a competent job,

Your Regan's and Abbas's are cheap, reliable players,

Unfortunately the jets board and a large portion of fans don't look at this bigger picture,
    ok not sure if your post was aimed at me but these quotes are the exact reason why you need the likes of regans in your squad.

we cant fill it with 23 top line players.
    we wont survive with 23 untested kids.

we need good kids, we need top players, but with the salary cap the way it is we need cheap reliable players who can do a job.
    you said it yourself.

now if theres someone better out there we are signing for the same price or cheaper then great. but i dont think theres anyone on here who thinks we are unearthing an ansel, jeggo or georgeski.

another thing is to consider how well these ex players of ours have gone on to other clubs to become good cheap reliable players who can do a job.

maybe coaching has more to do with it?

as i said, if we replace him with someone better on the same coin to fit in the squad then great, i wont be unhappy.
    i dont have much faith in it happening though.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

We can't discard half our squad everytime we finish last, that's how we become perennial wooden spooners. You need to be able to coach some of them to become better players, you can't just buy a first 11 of HAL level players who could win you the league and stay under cap.

If you were a new coach coming in to this club would you rather have a 20 year old with no HAL experience, a clean slate and try to teach him your tactics or would you rather a 25 yr old with a few years HAL experience, a losing mentality and try to mold what he already knows to fit into your tactics? This depends on what the new coach wants to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    We can't discard half our squad everytime we finish last, that's how we become perennial wooden spooners. You need to be able to coach some of them to become better players, you can't just buy a first 11 of HAL level players who could win you the league and stay under cap.

If you were a new coach coming in to this club would you rather have a 20 year old with no HAL experience, a clean slate and try to teach him your tactics or would you rather a 25 yr old with a few years HAL experience, a losing mentality and try to mold what he already knows to fit into your tactics? This depends on what the new coach wants to work with.

That's easy take the 20 year olds and change your culture.

You can make as much of a statement that Reegz Chilli etc have been hampered by sub standard coaching and I will agree with that. Problem is that is the cards they have been dealt with their opportunity at the big time.

Not necessarily fair but that is life.

You may say we get some decent coaches in place and you might turn them around. What happens in 3 years time if you haven't?? You have neglected your yoof shot your EJ's program in the foot and you still have to get rid of a 28 year old who hasn't made it.

As for this bit about being unable to sign 16-17 blokes to be HAL starters not being possible. Complete bullshit. Every other club manages to do that except for us.

We are already carrying blokes like Pepper and BK who despite their time at the club have not cemented themselves despite umpteen chances and we are obliged to continue carrying them as they are contracted.

Chilli and Reegz ain't contracted and we need to let them go and move on

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Also if you have two players of similar ability, one is a local product and one is from outside the region, you should try to always keep the local product.
    Take these players that Stubbins and Pascoe were bringing in towards the end of the year mainly from Sydney to trial....obviously they were not good enough to get a gig at SFC and WSW so that is why they were here. Are they any better than what we have locally?
    Another case in point was when Max Burgess (a centre mid) came into the squad and was placed above Lundy (winger) and Michael Kanta (centre mid) in the pecking order. In the games he played he showed nothing to indicate that he was superioir in ability to our two local lads.

Same goes for Reegz, fair enough if we were able to sign a better player from outside on similar money I'm all for it but can't see any benefit whatsoever in bringing in someone new who is not going to offer any superior qualities than what we have with Reegz.

That's easy take the 20 year olds and change your culture.

You can make as much of a statement that Reegz Chilli etc have been hampered by sub standard coaching and I will agree with that. Problem is that is the cards they have been dealt with their opportunity at the big time.

Not necessarily fair but that is life.

You may say we get some decent coaches in place and you might turn them around. What happens in 3 years time if you haven't?? You have neglected your yoof shot your EJ's program in the foot and you still have to get rid of a 28 year old who hasn't made it.

As for this bit about being unable to sign 16-17 blokes to be HAL starters not being possible. Complete bullshit. Every other club manages to do that except for us.

We are already carrying blokes like Pepper and BK who despite their time at the club have not cemented themselves despite umpteen chances and we are obliged to continue carrying them as they are contracted.

Chilli and Reegz ain't contracted and we need to let them go and move on
    I said a few months back that I think we need to release either Pepper or Kanta because they are too similar, maybe not in style but in terms of ability they are players who have been around (especially Kanta) for a while but yet to fully cement a spot in the first XI. Both are players who in my book are still decent squad players who can do a good job when called upon to come into the team but really we need a centre mid who is going to have a presence and control the game.....think back when Stu Musialik was at his peak for us or Kasey Wehrman. I would prefer to have Caravella back who offers different qualities, release either Pepper or Kanta and go for someone who is a real leader in the centre of the park.

As for this bit about being unable to sign 16-17 blokes to be HAL starters not being possible. Complete bullshit. Every other club manages to do that except for us
    In regards to this, i was meaning that it takes more than 1 year to build a squad. We can't just go out and buy 10 starters whilst staying under the salary cap. We might find 3-4 a year who are starting at another club and be willing to join us. We will struggle to attract 10 HAL level starters from other clubs and we will have to settle in some respects and build our way back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

I would love to see the list of 17 blokes you could put together to be competitive whilst staying under the cap.

Banned
    I would love to see the list of 17 blokes you could put together to be competitive whilst staying under the cap.
    I forgot Victree and Sydney FC don't stay under the cap do they???

Banned
    Birraz
    Neville
    Carney
    Steele
    Kew
    Madaschi
    Griff
    Flores
    Montano
    Hoole
    Jeronimo
    Kanta
    Celevski

That's off the top of my head from last years side. Probably forgetting a couple

All those blokes can claim to be starters at the level and if coached well are more than capable of putting together good enough performances to make the top 4 .

I know it is only 13 but that's our situation and when you consider we threw Goodwin away and got nothing for it in pre season there is 14

Birraz
    Neville
    Carney
    Steele
    Kew
    Madaschi
    Griff
    Flores
    Montano
    Hoole
    Jeronimo
    Kanta
    Celevski

That's off the top of my head from last years side. Probably forgetting a couple

All those blokes can claim to be starters at the level and if coached well are more than capable of putting together good enough performances to make the top 4 .

I know it is only 13 but that's our situation and when you consider we threw Goodwin away and got nothing for it in pre season there is 14
    Hang on, didn't you just spend the last 9 months bagging shit out of everyone on that list bar Griff?

You need better than those blokes and 9 kids if you're gonna win the comp mate.
    Try again.

I'm just going to put it out there..

Tony Popovic's list of blokes wasn't that impressive to begin with, and look what they did.

Maybe it has a heap to do with the coach.......
    OK

regans, bks and peppers.
    Speaking of these guys..

I have my doubts over whether they get/got paid as little as a large amount on here think.
    OK

Banned
    Hang on, didn't you just spend the last 9 months bagging shit out of everyone on that list bar Griff?

You need better than those blokes and 9 kids if you're gonna win the comp mate.
    Try again.
    There may be some truth to that but I diss everyone and it is not even close to being entirely true Plague.

As a noted Birraz Fanboi there was no way I have dissed him

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Speaking of these guys..

I have my doubts over whether they get/got paid as little as a large amount on here think.
    Would agree there WLG.I severely doubt any of these so called squaddies are on the minimum wage or even close to it

The amount of money going into our bottom 10 players and the output we get from them is not really high and hasn't been for a long long time

Would agree there WLG.I severely doubt any of these so called squaddies are on the minimum wage or even close to it

The amount of money going into our bottom 10 players and the output we get from them is not really high and hasn't been for a long long time
    I agree with this point also.
    That's why I always said if we sign him back cheap he'll be worth it.

There may be some truth to that but I diss everyone and it is not even close to being entirely true Plague.

As a noted Birraz Fanboi there was no way I have dissed him
    Blokes you haven't put shit on:
    1. Griff.
    2. Biraz
    3. Alex Wilkinson.

That's it.

Everyone else has copped a spray and you've been right about 95% of them.

The 5% being Tarek Elrich.
    Suck eggs pal.