Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 16/17 HAL Round 17 | Newcastle Jets v Melbourne City | Fri 27th Jan 2017 7:50pm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rhysd View Post
    Really don't know what you are babbling on about. As if sides haven't worked out that City cannot actually play it beyond the final man.

For all their possession and grafting, they achieved what? A penalty?

They will provide excuses about travel etc but that squad they had out there was filled with expensive players.

Who cares if we didn't play out from the back like we have done on most occasions this season and just recently?

I love the fact we took a pragmatic view to to game rather than just playing a 'style' of football. Soak up the pressure, hit them hard with our lightning counters. When did counter attack football become a bad thing? We all expect to be Barcelona now?

Poljak and Ugarkovic were immense. They covered a lot of ground last night and provided a platform for the victory.

In all of the "controlling" Melbourne city did in the game, Newcastle had the 5 best chances of the game. If we tried to "control" the game it would have given city too much time to get men back behind the ball.

Make clear chances, convert a fair percentage of them and that is how you win football games.

Jones had a clear vision, made his team believe in it and they succeeded. They were not the inferior team, but the superior team who executed a game plan to near on perfection.

Well done jets, and poljak!
    Controlling a game of football isn't about having the most possession.

It is about being allowing the opposition what you want them to have and denying them what they want

How was our control of that match the other night for a side parking the bus and playing on the counter???

Result aside it wasn't even close to a 10/10 park the bus snatch and grab effort

If a couple of Heart players turned up we ain't winning it

Our attacking was not as good as it could have been and our defending was desperate but not exactly comfortable and controlling

You want to see control watch Italy play at a major tournament

You want to see control at club level think Mourinhios teams parking the bus.

It ain't expansive but they are in control of the game even if they dominating play /possession

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    You're off ya head. Which isn't news to anybody. Poljak won tackle after tackle. His composure this year has really come of age and has been one of the best at playing out from the back. When he plays shit please bag him out but give the guy a break he did so much work last night.
    You mentioned during the Perth game the other week when Castro was tearing up out wide he should be there. Then also in the mids. He did exactly this tonight. Him and uga was the second men in to help out wide. Plus they screened Brattan and Kilkenny really well. They were everywhere but in your opinion they are headless chooks..

Genuine question. Have you ever pulled on a set of boots and played the game at competitive level??? Please I'd really like to know.

Have you ever played at a competetive level?? not stocko reserve either
    Just curious not trying to stir you up!!!
    Last edited by cobra23; 30-01-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra23 View Post
    [/B]

Always love this pissing contest. Usually the person who asks is the one drastically over rating their ability/playing level.

I mean Slater played EPL so he must be at genius level of analysing a game.......

Quote Originally Posted by cobra23 View Post
    [/B]

Stocko 1sts for a few years would be the highest I've played. Would this be seen as competitive?
    In my opinion it's no NPL comp but it still gives me a rough idea of what's needed on a technical level and my point was that poljak during that last game performed well in his role.
    I worry that some arm chair experts do not notice a majority of work he does. There was many times during the previous game that he made a tackle, stuck a foot in, or made an interception that a player on the same team would greatly appreciate. I know what it's like to have people like this in your team. The ones that do that role and gives the rest of the team a lift. Whether this is noticed by the crowd or viewers at home is a different story.
    Is that clarifying my point?

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Always love this pissing contest. Usually the person who asks is the one drastically over rating their ability/playing level.

I mean Slater played EPL so he must be at genius level of analysing a game.......
    i once received a ribbon for doing ever so well at a running event.

MO FARAH IS OVERRATED!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Stocko 1sts for a few years would be the highest I've played. Would this be seen as competitive?
    In my opinion it's no NPL comp but it still gives me a rough idea of what's needed on a technical level and my point was that poljak during that last game performed well in his role.
    I worry that some arm chair experts do not notice a majority of work he does. There was many times during the previous game that he made a tackle, stuck a foot in, or made an interception that a player on the same team would greatly appreciate. I know what it's like to have people like this in your team. The ones that do that role and gives the rest of the team a lift. Whether this is noticed by the crowd or viewers at home is a different story.
    Is that clarifying my point?
    If you don't already, you should listen to the Jetstream podcast. At least one of the hosts will draw attention to this often overlooked "grunt work".

Disclaimer - I am sometimes a co-host

Controlling a game of football isn't about having the most possession.

It is about being allowing the opposition what you want them to have and denying them what they want

How was our control of that match the other night for a side parking the bus and playing on the counter???

Result aside it wasn't even close to a 10/10 park the bus snatch and grab effort

If a couple of Heart players turned up we ain't winning it

Our attacking was not as good as it could have been and our defending was desperate but not exactly comfortable and controlling

You want to see control watch Italy play at a major tournament

You want to see control at club level think Mourinhios teams parking the bus.

It ain't expansive but they are in control of the game even if they dominating play /possession
    I did reply to this but for some reason the forum was down.

Sat deep and restricted Melbourne city to a penalty. Apart from kamau effort, the best chances of the game fell to us. To say that we could have scored 4 or 5 is not an understatement.

If we played the same "Italian" slow build up play, we would not have fashioned those chances.

Football is about transition. Possession/control is a statistic which means bugger all really.

We played to our strengths, played a tactic against a side we knew it would work against and we got the spoils. We played a different style of football against Perth in Perth and got the 3 pts there too.

There is no pleasing everybody.

Possession isn't a meaningless stat. But I do chuckle when I see commentators and pundits etc looking at it and saying Team A has dominated the game with say 55% possession. Really? If a teams up around 65-70+ then you start thinking that maybe it was a one way show but even then it tells you nothing about the quality of possession. A lot of smart people are trying pretty hard to be able to quantify the game and I don't doubt that in 10 years there'll probably be some quality statistics available that somewhat represent the game. But for now, football really is pretty hard to abbreviate to numbers.

Even the "balls into attacking 18" stat which you would think is getting closer to the mark. City had a shitload of those against us cause they just hoofed crosses in aimed at noone in particular all night that were for the most part handled quite comfortably.

My favourite stats of all time....

A big "FU" to ticka tacka.

Only one stat matters - the top one.

You're not wrong. However, if playing the odds, you would have to say you would rather be on the 89% possession side than not.

You can lose a hand of poker while having a straight flush. But if someone offers it to you at the start of the hand you'd take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You're not wrong. However, if playing the odds, you would have to say you would rather be on the 89% possession side than not.

You can lose a hand of poker while having a straight flush. But if someone offers it to you at the start of the hand you'd take it.
    What a brilliant analogy. Well done