Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Rugby League is crap

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-0...uspens/6680764

This is no longer the game I used to avidly follow - there wasn't anything wrong with a fair shoulder charge for over 100 years.

Perhaps if these fools went back to the basics and stopped roided up musclemen getting so large it would not be so dangerous - or perhaps don the NFL protection.

there has to be a limit. blindside shoulder charges, with no hands just aren't a tackle, it's borderline assault.

i can see why people are fuming about the evans/kasiano one, as it's big man on big man and front on - exactly what everyone expects in rugby league

it's when the same fellas pull these stunts on little blokes, i.e. halfbacks and five's after kicks, unsighted players & being the high second man where it has to be banned.

as an aside - evans still would have smashed kasiano i reckon if he kept his right arm out and took him in the chest - kasiano was always looking for that big forearm fend

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-0...uspens/6680764

This is no longer the game I used to avidly follow - there wasn't anything wrong with a fair shoulder charge for over 100 years.

Perhaps if these fools went back to the basics and stopped roided up musclemen getting so large it would not be so dangerous - or perhaps don the NFL protection.
    The interchange doesn't help either. Before the interchange rule the big blokes had to conserve energy to get through the 80 mins. The massive units running around these days are often used in short bursts and as such are pretty much always going at full intensity. Obviously there are always exceptions.

They should piss the interchange garbage off which would slow the game down enough to give the smaller blokes a better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The interchange doesn't help either. Before the interchange rule the big blokes had to conserve energy to get through the 80 mins. The massive units running around these days are often used in short bursts and as such are pretty much always going at full intensity. Obviously there are always exceptions.

They should piss the interchange garbage off which would slow the game down enough to give the smaller blokes a better chance.
    Don't forget going from a 5m to a 10m rule which gave these same monsters a bigger run up.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    blindside shoulder charges, with no hands just aren't a tackle, it's borderline assault.
    game was built on this shit. dry the eyes and keep cheering for blood like every other yr.

Still think we're all becoming princesses. Last year an EPL ref watched the 1970 FA Cup Final and said he would have issued 16 yellow cards and 6 reds. It was tough but there were no major injuries....the inherent toughness in rugby league that made it appealing has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Don't forget going from a 5m to a 10m rule which gave these same monsters a bigger run up.
    Yep. When you add that to the equation it's a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Yep. When you add that to the equation it's a recipe for disaster.
    yeah there was a study done and it said something like the impact of a shoulder charge was twice as strong as a regular tackle*

The NFL is a prime example of chickens coming home to roost for the lack of safety of their players.
    NRL are really only acting to save some cash on the lawsuits, but if they prevent a few blokes going crazy and killing themselves then thats a bonus i guess.

*paraphrasing but yeah it was more
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Toronto local, former Scorps player, current Goannas player Jared Edwards got a 12 game suspension for this challenge which has led to a serious injury for the player he did it to in the Newy RL comp:

What do we reckon - is 12 weeks enough?

From The Herald

CESSNOCK Goannas centre Jared Edwards has been banned for 12 matches after the Newcastle Rugby League judiciary ruled on Wednesday night that he intentionally injured Macquarie's Teason Fa'avae-Eli.

Edwards, pictured, received a 16-match ban, but it was reduced by four games for his guilty plea.

Fa'avae-Eli is out for the season with a torn medial ligament after the incident.

Footage from BarTV shows Edwards holding Fa'avae-Eli's right leg in a three-man tackle in the latter stages of the July 25 match and driving his shoulder into the knee.

The tackle was cited by the league and Edwards was charged with grade-five contrary conduct.

Edwards was not present at the judiciary due to personal issues, but Cessnock pleaded guilty on his behalf.

‘‘The concerning thing from the league’s perspective was the intent,’’ Newcastle Rugby League chief executive Matt Harris said.

‘‘I think that’s what the panel would have looked at as well.

‘‘The action wasn’t reckless or careless; it was intentional.’’

The 12-match suspension will be back-dated to include Cessnock’s win last Saturday against Souths.

Depending on how far the Goannas progress in the semi-final series, Edwards will not play football until midway through next season.

Macquarie president Kevin Maher presented his club’s case, which included the impact the injury has had on Fa’avae-Eli’s ability to work as a self-employed carpenter.

Maher was not prepared to comment whether he was satisfied with the outcome.

‘‘Our major reason for being there was to represent the interests of Teason and Scorps club,’’ Maher said.

‘‘I’m not in a position to say anything until I talk to Teason and the coaching staff and the rest of the club and see what their views are.’’

It is understood Macquarie are fuming over the length of the ban, believing it should have been longer.

Under the judiciary rules, there are no grounds to appeal against the perceived leniency.

Goannas president David Woodbury said his club was happy to have the issue resolved after it had dragged on for three weeks.

‘‘The good part now is it’s been put to bed and it’s not hanging over the side for the rest of the year,’’ Woodbury said.

‘‘We know what we’ve got going forward.’’

Edwards’ ban is the third longest in the past decade.

In 2011, Wests centre Steve Gordon copped a 13-week ban for verbally threatening referee Tom Aylett.

It was originally 20 matches but was reduced due to his previously unblemished record.

In 2005, South Newcastle prop Grant Coleman was banned for 14 matches after his fourth suspension for a high tackle.
    OK

doesn't come much grubbier than that. screw how long he gets suspended for, when does he get charged with assault?

I'd be pressing charges.

what happens on the field stays on the field arguments are thrown out the mindow when someone intentially sets out to injure.

dog act.

Piddling suspensions really, need to bring Jim Comans back from the grave - I agree, press assault charges.

What a joke, you can see at the start of the tackle he was trying to cause intent, swung an arm out at him...

and that, I just cringe... TOTAL ****
    Amigos Aarau

Another article from The Herald on it, this time from the perspective of the victim who thinks something closer to 2 years would be more fitting. The guy is also hamstrung financially because of this incident, and is considering not playing again.

Also, the article mentions that Edwards, the guy who did the nasty act, was unable to face the judiciary because he was in police custody for other matters!

MACQUARIE centre Teason Fa’avae-Eli is outraged by the suspension given to Cessnock’s Jared Edwards and is considering quitting rugby league due to financial strain the injury has placed on his family.

Edwards, left, was banned for 12 games by the Newcastle Rugby League judiciary on Wednesday night when it ruled he intentionally injured Fa’avae-Eli in a tackle.

Edwards could not front the judiciary because he was in police custody in relation to a breach of parole conditions. His suspension was reduced from 16 matches to 12 after Cessnock pleaded guilty on Edwards’ behalf.

BarTV footage, above, shows Edwards hold and straighten Fa’avae-Eli’s right leg before driving his shoulder into the knee, snapping the medial ligament.

Since the July 25 incident, Fa’avae-Eli has had to wear a brace that locks his knee at a 40-degree angle while the ligament heals. The injury has prevented the 28-year-old self-employed carpenter from working.

‘‘If it was just an accident in the game, then fair enough,’’ Fa’avae-Eli said.

‘‘But if it’s deliberate, and it clearly shows it’s deliberate, you would think he’d get a two-year ban.

‘‘He’s gone out of his way to hurt someone, and that’s not in the spirit of the game.’’

See your ad here
    Fa’avae-Eli has had three weeks off work and is unlikely to return for another five weeks.

The father of two has income protection insurance, but it is not enough to cover his mortgage payments and he will have to redraw on the loan or borrow money from family.

The financial ramifications of the injury have caused him to consider his playing future.

‘‘I can’t afford to get this injured again,’’ he said.

‘‘It’s put a dampener on my family, too.

‘‘I’m self-employed, so I’m thinking of hanging my boots up because I can’t afford to get injured like this again. Even though it wasn’t really a football injury, if there’s people doing that sort of thing, I don’t want to put myself at risk.’’

Under the Country Rugby League’s insurance policy, players are covered for 80 per cent of their non-Medicare expenses and up to $300 a week for loss of income. The payments start after the player has been off work for 28 days and are capped at 52 weeks.

Fa’avae-Eli was in career-best form at the Scorpions and was man of the match in the game he was injured in.

The goal-kicking centre visited his Macquarie teammates on Thursday night as they prepared to face his former club, Souths, on Saturday.

Fa’avae-Eli said he would decide after the season is finished whether to continue. ‘‘It’s a tough decision. I’m still thinking about it,’’ he said. ‘‘If it heals 100 per cent, which hopefully it will, I’ll consider playing again.

‘‘But if it’s in the back of my mind when I’m training, I probably won’t play again. It’s not worth it.’’
    OK

So I listen to Big Sports Breakfast of a morning and Talk and Sport of an afternoon. The major content of both programs are largely made up with Handegg and it seems more and more the rusted on supporters are beginning to turn their back on the game.

Some big years are coming up for the future of this game.
    They have just signed of a huge broadcast deal but they have so many issues to deal with.
    Today it was basically people from the bush calling up saying that their clubs are dying and if nothing changes then many them will fade out like some already have.

Rusted on fans are sick of the constant rule changes and how the game is going soft.

The fan base is forever getting older and NRL are falling behind AFL and Football when it comes to engagement with the younger generation.

The NRL are saying they are cashed up now to take on the AFL but people at the grassroots are saying all that money is being spent at the top of the pyramid.

Thoughts on this from anyone else and what does the future hold for the NRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I have no doubt that the three things that will kill off rugby league are:

- the rule changes and softening of the game, it has lost much of its character and if you don't watch it often is confusing.
    - the demographic shift, the Knights are a prime example of what happens when the "nannas" and old boys start to fall off the perch.
    - globalisation, still nobody cares outside NSW and Qld but still they don't get it. The SOO is NOT sports biggest rivalry, get over yourselves.

it's dying in the bush

massive drop out rate and 15-17yrs and eventualaly there'll be bugger all adults playing the game.

what's the hot ticket out in the bush, hayseed gav?

too much running in AFL, soccer's for poofs - what are they playing? tiddlywinks? smoking ice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I have no doubt that the three things that will kill off rugby league are:

- the rule changes and softening of the game, it has lost much of its character and if you don't watch it often is confusing.
    - the demographic shift, the Knights are a prime example of what happens when the "nannas" and old boys start to fall off the perch.
    - globalisation, still nobody cares outside NSW and Qld but still they don't get it. The SOO is NOT sports biggest rivalry, get over yourselves.
    Rule changes are inevitable as the lawsuits will eventually start coming in. The NRL needs to be seen to be doing something as they have learned from the NFL that brushing it off doesn't work.

Is it a demographic shift with the Knights or the fact they are garbage? Are the Jets going through a demo shift as well?

SOO and Grand Final consistently make up 4 of the top 10 most watched shows on TV every year (and that includes Global events). Your talkback shows bemoaning the game 'dying in the bush' have been saying the same for 10 years. They are the same blokes that laugh about soccer divers and AFL being aerial ping pong. Id put more faith in youth participation rates etc (which Mr Fish has alluded too). if they are down then long term yeah it might present a problem.

I think you'll still find there will always be the talent available to sustain an elite comp in Australia though.

Some of the detail in the new NRL deal def points to the emphasis on making the existing content better rather than just trying to produce more content through more teams and games.
    America is the perfect example of that where their most profitable teams, their biggest revenues and their highest ratings come from the sport with the lowest amount of games.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    what's the hot ticket out in the bush, hayseed gav?

too much running in AFL, soccer's for poofs - what are they playing? tiddlywinks? smoking ice?

"Football's for poofs" is slowly dissapearing.

Ice and Xbox is the favoured past time.

and cow tipping
    Last edited by GazFish35; 18-08-2015 at 03:33 PM.