Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Rugby League is crap

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Rule changes are inevitable as the lawsuits will eventually start coming in. The NRL needs to be seen to be doing something as they have learned from the NFL that brushing it off doesn't work.

Is it a demographic shift with the Knights or the fact they are garbage? Are the Jets going through a demo shift as well?

SOO and Grand Final consistently make up 4 of the top 10 most watched shows on TV every year (and that includes Global events). Your talkback shows bemoaning the game 'dying in the bush' have been saying the same for 10 years. They are the same blokes that laugh about soccer divers and AFL being aerial ping pong. Id put more faith in youth participation rates etc (which Mr Fish has alluded too). if they are down then long term yeah it might present a problem.

I think you'll still find there will always be the talent available to sustain an elite comp in Australia though.

Some of the detail in the new NRL deal def points to the emphasis on making the existing content better rather than just trying to produce more content through more teams and games.
    America is the perfect example of that where their most profitable teams, their biggest revenues and their highest ratings come from the sport with the lowest amount of games.
    The fact that NFL is a vastly superior game doesn't hurt either.

HE admitted to a series of drunken attacks on his former girlfriend, in which she was pushed to the ground, punched, kicked and thrown around the couple’s bedroom.

But former Knight Zane Tetevano will not serve any jail time for five separate instances of domestic violence in as many months after an appeal against the severity of his 18-month imprisonment was upheld in Newcastle District Court on Monday.
    must be acceptable to be an nrl grub. nice message that sends.

Definitely a demographic shift...15 years ago the Knights consistently got 25000 plus...the Breakers 3-5000. Even a shit Jets can get over 10k a few times whilst the Knights have dropped right back. League is not the boss game anymore, definitely not with the youngsters who now have access to global sport 24 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Definitely a demographic shift...15 years ago the Knights consistently got 25000 plus...the Breakers 3-5000. Even a shit Jets can get over 10k a few times whilst the Knights have dropped right back. League is not the boss game anymore, definitely not with the youngsters who now have access to global sport 24 hours a day.
    was anyone alive back in the KB days?
    what sort of crowds were they pulling?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

NRL people getting all made that Yanks think Hayne played Rugby Union and they've never heard of Rugby League
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    NRL people getting all made that Yanks think Hayne played Rugby Union and they've never heard of Rugby League
    prob same people losing their shit when yanks call it soccer.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The fact that NFL is a vastly superior game doesn't hurt either.
    please
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

So further on this.

NRL last week announced a 5yr $900 Million contract with channel 9 for 4 games per week free to air exclusive.

AFL have just announced a $2.5 Billion 6 year broadcasting rights contract with Telstra, Channel 7 and Foxtel.

Talk is that Rupert wasn't happy about losing the 1 game per week and isn't coming to the party with Foxtel and NRL are looking into the various steaming services or creating their own (online NRL TV).
    This could be a huge problem for NRL as their next broadcast deal could be significantly less than the last.

Interesting times indeed.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

yeah I wouldn't be reading too much into Cranky Ruperts bluff and bluster (its all part of the wank of negotiations).
    Live sport is pretty much the only appointment tv going these days.
    any tv show or movie you want to watch can be recorded and watched at your leisure, but if you think that you can avoid the result of major sporting events (grand finals, melbourne cup, world cup games) then either you have no friends or you are Dunster and live in a cabin in the woods sending letter bombs to people who overcharged you for coffee 12 years ago.

this means that the only way you are sitting through ads is if you watch it live. ads are the only way tv stations can afford the content.

Its too valuable a commodity to let go.

Foxtel will pay up and it will all be hugs and kisses.

a side note: another thing to consider when they talk about the numbers is how much is contra in the way of promotion/ads for the sport from media companies. With the whole of News Corp on side, there might be a fair chunk of that money that goes into ads, promos and 'positive editorial'. in the same way you can expect News Ltd papers to be putting shit on the NRL over not getting a deal done.

tl;dr? Dunster needs to please stop blowing people up.

oh and sucked in Darth Vader was really Lukes father.
    Seems like I am WRONG

yeah I wouldn't be reading too much into Cranky Ruperts bluff and bluster (its all part of the wank of negotiations).
    Live sport is pretty much the only appointment tv going these days.
    any tv show or movie you want to watch can be recorded and watched at your leisure, but if you think that you can avoid the result of major sporting events (grand finals, melbourne cup, world cup games) then either you have no friends or you are Dunster and live in a cabin in the woods sending letter bombs to people who overcharged you for coffee 12 years ago.

this means that the only way you are sitting through ads is if you watch it live. ads are the only way tv stations can afford the content.

Its too valuable a commodity to let go.

Foxtel will pay up and it will all be hugs and kisses.

a side note: another thing to consider when they talk about the numbers is how much is contra in the way of promotion/ads for the sport from media companies. With the whole of News Corp on side, there might be a fair chunk of that money that goes into ads, promos and 'positive editorial'. in the same way you can expect News Ltd papers to be putting shit on the NRL over not getting a deal done.

tl;dr? Dunster needs to please stop blowing people up.

I tend to agree, still it's interesting times ahead.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

No way !!

So looks like the team led by a rapist wins the NRL...nice.

Rapist?

Raping Broncos?

last 20 minutes til end of the game was top entertainment
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    last 20 minutes til end of the game was top entertainment
    I actually enjoyed the entire 80 minutes of the game and HT much more.

I not watch a second of the shit.

Even today reading and hearing the shit they come up with in the media about the game

Football shits on it for drama excitement and tension 24-7 365 days a year.

Best thing to come out of yesterday is that Dog Molesters time in the sun is over. Piss weak sport with no ****ing appeal to anyone who isn't a clueless halfwit

Australian Football is back in the limelight next week.

Roll on the HAL

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    it was actually one of the best games i've ever seen
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

it was actually one of the best games i've ever seen
    yep.
    Seems like I am WRONG

We had the Knights final on in the background on Sunday arvo when someone said "he threw a punch", and I didn't realise at the time the bloke who received it got concussion. I then read this excerpt on the Herald

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/34...decked/?cs=306

Speaking to Queensland’s Courier-Mail newspaper after the game, McConnachie said he did not wish Mamo any harm and did not condone violence.

‘‘I don’t really like fighting on the footy field. It’s actually the first time I’ve had a fight in a game,’’ McConnachie said. ‘‘I hope the guy is OK and I’m sorry if I’ve hurt him because it’s not the way I like to play the game.’’

McConnachie said the punch was a reaction to what he believed was a ‘‘cheap shot’’ by Mamo to his Jets teammate Matty Parcell.

‘‘I just wanted to defend my teammate, and they would do the same for me.

‘‘I didn’t know what was going to happen to me ... I guess instinct took over.’’

Jets teammate Chris Walker, whose brothers Ben and Shane coached Ipswich to victory, told the Courier-Mail McConnachie was ‘‘looking after his players’’.

‘‘‘Madness’ is one of our leaders and I’m glad he did stick up for them,’’ Walker said.

‘‘They might put Jake Mamo on report for trying to head-butt his fist.

‘‘Billy is definitely NRL quality.

‘‘He is tough as nails and never takes a backward step.’’
    This is why I don't enjoy this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

cheapest shot I've seen in a while, can't believe the guy stayed on the field.