Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The A-League is a massive failure as far as producing elite players though. Compare how many of our lads were playing 1st team football in the best leagues around the world back in the NSL days to the current situation.

Players now make too much coin playing in the A-League to ever want to venture overseas and try to make it at the highest level. At best they go overseas to sit on the bench or play for some unknown Euro club - then return demanding top dollar at an A-league Club.

Don't drink the Lowy Family Kool Aid either - With pretty much complete control of the game in this country things have not improved as far as the Socceroos are concerned.

If we still had to qualify through Oceania / South America I doubt we'd have made another WC after 2006 - and only Diego Forlan and a few others being injured allowed us to qualify then as well. Full fit Uruguay would have killed us.
    You crack me up Dunstersaur.
    You really need to let go of the past, 2018 really ain't that bad.

What were you doing in 2015? Watching reruns of Jaws and Mash?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    What were you doing in 2015? Watching reruns of Jaws?
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that!!! One of the classics..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that!!! One of the classics..
    As long as its Jaws the revenge

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    As long as its Jaws the revenge
    hahaha.. I haven't seen that one, yet..
    I did just download all four Jaws movies in a pack the other day, I'm assuming they get worse and worse after the first.

You crack me up Dunstersaur.
    You really need to let go of the past, 2018 really ain't that bad.

What were you doing in 2015? Watching reruns of Jaws and Mash?
    How many Aussies do we currently have playing in the EPL, LaLiga, Bundesliga, Serie A and so on ... Not many considering the level of investment in the game currently compared to the NSL days.

The NSL had massive problems and I'd never want to go back because somethings like the quality of grounds / facilities in the A-league are far better than they ever were back when. Recovery / Medical and so on is again much better now as well - players have a better profile... and so on .. yes I get it.

But if you think we don't have serious issues developing players for the best leagues in the world you are in denial. In that respect we have gone backwards.

2018 is shit by the way. You just don't know any better.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-10-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    hahaha.. I haven't seen that one, yet..
    I did just download all four Jaws movies in a pack the other day, I'm assuming they get worse and worse after the first.
    First two good after that, Well good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

How many Aussies do we currently have playing in the EPL, LaLiga, Bundesliga, Serie A and so on ... Not many considering the level of investment in the game currently compared to the NSL days.

The NSL had massive problems and I'd never want to go back because somethings like the quality of grounds / facilities in the A-league are far better than they ever were back when. Recovery / Medical and so on is again much better now as well - players have a better profile... and so on .. yes I get it.

But if you think we don't have serious issues developing players for the best leagues in the world you are in denial. In that respect we have gone backwards.

2018 is shit by the way. You just don't know any better.
    September 2018
    http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/Abroad/2018-09.html

April 2006
    http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/Abroad/2006-04.html

Seems pretty similar to me if anything there is probably more now.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

September 2018

April 2006

Although im positive most of those are made up names and leagues, this little nugget of info made me smile.

Minniecon Tahj 13/02/1989 29 Davao Aguilas Philippines (1) PFL Striker 1/9/18 Started, SCORED (Cup)
    Goal machine.
    Bring him home Middleby!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    Listen to this far left outraged moron.

The game was sinking into an ethnic sewer. Yeah it was competitive but limited to growth. There was no chance of growing he game without mainstream population having some sort of belonging. Those that did soon left and went to AFL/League.

What Lowy did was include 80% more of Australia and was a master stroke. Your superior race can still compete.

I'd bet you were at one of these fully sick clubs and are butt hurt. Think you need a bigger plug and a tissue.
    You start off by calling me far left

FMD

1st for everything but you are the only **** on the planet who thinks i lean to the.left

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    nah.
    the idea behind the A-League was solid.
    it needed to be new and different.

but.

Frank Lowys departure and the re-admission of the legacy clubs should have been done way sooner. it was always the obvious move.
    by bringing them back in later, they are playing from behind, so will need to open themselves up to also be more inclusive in order to pay the bills.

if they were in from the start of the A-League it wouldnt have worked. it just would have been NSL v.349

South Melbourne (and probably Marconi eventually) should be layups to return. hope they get the spot.
    Disageee that the idea of the HAL was solid

It was flawed

The franchise model that we have was limited in its ability to work

It has over the last 13 years seen us have to get into bed with the Clive Palmers and Nayfun Tinklers of the world and now we are onto foreign.ownership

We have priced out every existing club in Oz from wanting in bar South
    We have priced out possible owners

We have only suceeded in creating a monopoly for the PFA and FFA.at the expense of everything else

The system was ****ed.in 2005

Lowy aint a messiah for applying business practices that made his shopping centre empire huge to Oz football

You start off by calling me far left

FMD

1st for everything but you are the only **** on the planet who thinks i lean to the.left
    Nah, I thought everyone was of this opinion.
    Classic left wing behaviour.
    Just own it Member.

September 2018

April 2006

Good post Premy. It doesn't seem we have as many playing in the first team in the elite leagues as in the past.

2018 We have 0 in Serie-A, 0 in La liga, 2 in Bundesliga, 1 GK in EPL, Eredivisie representation is strong though question mark over the quality of the league these days. Championship, and youth representation looks surprisingly strong as well - could evolve into something over the next few years - but it's not EPL !st team representation like we had in 2006.

2006 though we had players representing all the major competitions in Europe and many of them playing first team football and Champions league as well. That's clearly not the case anymore.

EPL and Serie-A representation was much stronger if we compare 1st team football.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-10-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Nah, I thought everyone was of this opinion.
    Classic left wing behaviour.
    Just own it Member.
    No

Wont ever be part of the loony left

Could easily pick apart the rest of his argument but his first point showed me he hasnt got a clue

Banned
    Good post Premy. It doesn't seem we have as many playing in the first team in the elite leagues as in the past.

2018 We have 0 in Serie-A, 0 in La liga, 2 in Bundesliga, 1 GK in EPL, Eredivisie representation is strong though question mark over the quality of the league these days. Championship, and youth representation looks surprisingly strong as well - could evolve into something over the next few years - but it's not EPL !st team representation like we had in 2006.

2006 though we had players representing all the major competitions in Europe and many of them playing first team football and Champions league as well. That's clearly not the case anymore.

EPL and Serie-A representation was much stronger if we compare 1st team football.
    The current model has just actually limited opportunities to young kids as the HAL clubs dont give the yoof a go

Back in the NSL days the clubs understood the value of sending players to Europe so that is why your Vidukas and zelics and Okons were playing at 16/17 etc

HAL clubs really have not embraced this but this is more of a problem with the model

Then you throw in the cozy welfare state pay cheque system the PFA have got going on where many players show no ambition to go OS but are happy to just move club to club around the HAL

Then if 1 is lucky enough to get an OS gig then look at how many of them fail

Birraz
    Taggart
    Brillante
    Goodwin

All get out of Oz with an opportunity to suceed in Europe

All come back and coast along at this level again

It is an absolute tragedy

All starts with the system in place

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    of course, back in those days a young player could move overseas before the age of 18, which is now illegal

but carry on

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    of course, back in those days a young player could move overseas before the age of 18, which is now illegal

but carry on
    That age thing is correct in thast things have changed

But Viduka Zelic and co didnt move O/S until they had a couple of years of NSL football under their belt and would have been over the 18 age thing anyway

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...09-p50eym.html

canberra has announced a bit of a partnership with the wollongong wolves, will play one game a season there. not really sure this is actually a smart move. just seems to dilute the whole "we're going for community ownership and members will have a massive say on everything" vibe they've been trying to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post

canberra has announced a bit of a partnership with the wollongong wolves, will play one game a season there. not really sure this is actually a smart move. just seems to dilute the whole "we're going for community ownership and members will have a massive say on everything" vibe they've been trying to sell.
    Still remember that dark day when the old Newcastle United had a home game at bloody Gosford....praise Griff for scoring and making it worthwhile.

The new FFA peeps should just let like all of the bids in then just leave the gypos off the fixture list and see if anyone even notices.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post

When i first heard of this about 8 weeks ago i thought it was a odd move