Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Afl

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    And I can't see a game that's only popular in 3 states of one country on the planet expanding beyond that, regardless of ill-conceived games in China.
    But the point is that you would never want it to expand beyond Australia. My experience following the Jets has made me see how low in the pecking order we are. We fail to attract real stars (the MLS and China has much higher purchasing power than us) and we lose our own valuable players way too quickly. If Aaron Mooy played AFL, he couldn't go anywhere. So you can happily invest in developing your players knowing that they will stay here for their entire career. I'm starting to see the international character of football as a disadvantage to being a supporter of a regional A-League club. It might be an advantage to a player, but not to a supporter.

I agree that no other football code has a strong foothold across the entire nation. But of the winter sports, which one looks most promising? It's not rugby league. AFL is in every major market except Canberra and the Hunter. It is ranked 4th in the world for average game attendance.

Football has the same problem with establishing a foothold in the Australian market. And the BBL is expanding its season next year. The move to Summer to avoid clashing with rival football codes is no longer an advantage. I have people in my street whose kids play soccer and they won't go to the Jets but they'll drive to Sydney for the BBL.

I'm not wishing for the death of the Jets or the A-League, I just don't think that the Jets are ever going to reach the heights they did in the first 3 seasons again. Ever. Con basically wrecked any chance of that. Any revival was reliant on the new owner basically tipping in unlimited funds to rejuvenate the club, but I can't see that happening.

Footballs strength is its global reach.
    I think it is also it's weakness. Like I said above, I was all caught up in the Johnny Warren mission to say "I told you so" but the corruption at FIFA put a permanent stain on that. What is the point of being part of a global community if it is a corrupt one. We have to live through a world cup going to Qatar!

Despite this, the idea for an AFL team in Newcastle (which is probably a 10 year project - realistically) and the population of the Hunter is set to head toward 1 million by 2050, has legs simply because it generates the most revenue of any domestic sport and is insulated from the international marketplace.

The only question for me is whether or not Newcastle and the Hunter would take to it, as we head toward 1 million people. We already have a local league and have produced players that have played in the AFL. It would be interesting to get some games up here and see what type of crowds were generated.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    this thread is spam

user joins just to post about something that's totally irrelevant to this forum and to Newcastle

any reason why we shouldn't delete it?

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    this thread is spam

user joins just to post about something that's totally irrelevant to this forum and to Newcastle

Because its working the Member up so much he's surely only a couple of posts away from a ban?

Jules is out here fishing and i think he's snagged one.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Because its working the Member up so much he's surely only a couple of posts away from a ban?

Jules is out here fishing and i think he's snagged one.

It ain't the politics thread

I in safe territory here dealing with him

Also if you think this bloke getting me worked up

Bloke is actually not even close to getting a half decent rise out of me.

He would have to have more intelligence than he does.

Aaron Mooy an elite AFL player wouldn't have to leave Australia. FMD

Of course that true. Because no other **** plays the ****ing game.

Just goes to show what a weak sport it is

You can get Gaelic Football players ,. Rugby players , illegal immigrants and turn them into elite level players quickly as skills required ain't that ****ing high

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    this thread is spam

It's not spam. I used to be a regular poster but I don't want to use that username anymore because I'm ditching the Jets and I don't want the baggage of people knowing who I am carry over into this conversation. I've already proven I know Evo is a goalkeeper.

It's relevant because it is in the Sports Bar section and many people on this forum have experience in talking about the issues I'm raising with the Jets.
    Last edited by Jules; 30-03-2017 at 08:09 PM.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Don't see why having an AFL club in Newy would mean the Jets had to fold. They could easily co-exist, like the Knights and Jets do.

The Knights would be the ones with the real fight on their hands; not that it would ever happen, as there's no real appetite for a pro Aussie rules club in the area - at all.

I like the sport but it will never be as big as football or league in Newcastle, never. And our city is a football heartland, no matter how shit the Jets are.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Member have you seen some of the dross that steals a living playing in the A League? That is our elite league here.

I'd love an AFL team here. Give be another club to be disappointed by.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    I'd love an AFL team here. Give be another club to be disappointed by.
    That's my point though. I want a club that I'm not disappointed by. Knights are shit and I hate thugby culture. Not all rugby league fans are, but every low life in my area is a rugby league fan. I'm never going to support that team again.

I don't think an AFL team would compete with the Jets but a BBL team would. The only thing stopping a BBL team coming to Newcastle is that there is no venue.

And our city is a football heartland, no matter how shit the Jets are.
    I can't argue with that, but I think you'll see memberships fall below 5,000 next year. And many, many people who are turning away aren't likely to come back unless the club becomes very successful again. They've just lost interest. The thing that concerned me most is still the lack of corporate support, even with the new owner. Vacant corporate boxes is never a good sign.

the problem with the BBL is that it is an ongoing dilution of a sport that will eventually get 'boring' to its current audience.

yeah 20/20 is the business now (apparently) but so was 50 over before that and Shield Cricket before that.

Eventually there will be a 'super 15's or super 10's' spin off and eventually in the future 50,000 people will gather in a stadium to watch each team face one ball each them go home...........but man that one ball will be so freaking exciting.

Football has benefited from having a core set of rules/regulations that remain in place. the sport doesnt 'change' for the quick fix (thankfully the ****ing Yanks and their "bigger goals = more goals bullshit" didnt ever get off the ground).

AFL has done a similar thing with the whole 'super goal' concept getting mass pushback from coaches/players.

League has continually shot itself in the foot with rule changes/video interference that is always the biggest talking point after every game no matter what happens on field.

How many rules have changed in soccer in the last 50 years? backpass and maybe offside tinkering?

AFL is the biggest deal in the country, and is by far the best run sport. they will continue to strengthen while ever league and especially football are bogged down in their terrible governance.

I really like AFL, i don't have a team i just like the game. its a great time going to Melbourne for a big match, but like every sport, the bad can be downright awful.

Cant ever see an AFL team playing here. Newcastle would be so far down the pecking order.

Personally i think the City has done a great thing hitching itself to the V8 bandwagon. now theres a sport that knows what its doing.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    It's not spam. I used to be a regular poster but I don't want to use that username anymore because I'm ditching the Jets and I don't want the baggage of people knowing who I am carry over into this conversation. I've already proven I know Evo is a goalkeeper.

It's relevant because it is in the Sports Bar section and many people on this forum have experience in talking about the issues I'm raising with the Jets.
    So what you hiding??

You just sort of outed yourself as a multi

Why can't you post under your own name these views??

As for your other points about wanting a side to be proud of??

Besides being a plastic bandwagoner your also a condescending shit as well trying to break out some superiority compass

You seem to think that we don't want a club to be proud of do you??

You think the Knights fans don't want a club to be proud of do you??

The difference between Jets fans Knights fans etc and plastics like you is that we don't give up on our dream like you. We just view every trial and tribulation as part of the ****ing journey

When those special days come like Griff scoring the winning goal in the GF

Griff scoring the winner away v Gypos

Nobby knocking that last minute winner v Pissants the other month

The first win for Muppet against Adelaide

The Smurfs match where ADP and Heskey played and we killed them

Shit like that can't be replicated for you.

Why because we suffered for our triumph

So you just go clear out on us and go jump on whatever bandwagon you like never really understanding shit about anything

Why can't you post under your own name these views??

Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Fair enough, but as a (former) Jets fan, I thought there might be some opinions at least. I simply can't see a future for the Jets. As a fan, I've been beating my head against a brick wall for the last 9 seasons. Then it dawned on me. The one thing that I've mocked rugby league and AFL for, the fact that it is not played in many countries, is actually an advantage. They can train a player knowing full well that he can't up an leave for more money overseas. They don't have to worry about a Andrew Hoole making unrealistic demands with threats to go to China. A global marketplace is actually a major disadvantage for a sport.

The promise of transfer fees in the A-League was just a pipe-dream.

I always thought that the A-League was the best alternative to thugby league culture, but now it seems like AFL might be the only way forward for our city.
    You are 40 years too late for AFL. The game is structured within an inch of its life these days to the point whereby it's just dead ****ing boring to watch.
    And players can up and leave AFL and they do to become NFL punters. Sure not a lot of opportunities but they do exist - and it's lucrative for those that make the grade.
    AFL Players can also make decent Corner Backs as well and if they happen to have a little speed it's also possible they can become receivers [though unlikely given the speed requirements]

And the players these days are shit - no personality and boring as bat shit.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 31-03-2017 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    the problem with the BBL is that it is an ongoing dilution of a sport that will eventually get 'boring' to its current audience.

yeah 20/20 is the business now (apparently) but so was 50 over before that and Shield Cricket before that.

Eventually there will be a 'super 15's or super 10's' spin off and eventually in the future 50,000 people will gather in a stadium to watch each team face one ball each them go home...........but man that one ball will be so freaking exciting.

Football has benefited from having a core set of rules/regulations that remain in place. the sport doesnt 'change' for the quick fix (thankfully the ****ing Yanks and their "bigger goals = more goals bullshit" didnt ever get off the ground).

AFL has done a similar thing with the whole 'super goal' concept getting mass pushback from coaches/players.

League has continually shot itself in the foot with rule changes/video interference that is always the biggest talking point after every game no matter what happens on field.

How many rules have changed in soccer in the last 50 years? backpass and maybe offside tinkering?

AFL is the biggest deal in the country, and is by far the best run sport. they will continue to strengthen while ever league and especially football are bogged down in their terrible governance.

I really like AFL, i don't have a team i just like the game. its a great time going to Melbourne for a big match, but like every sport, the bad can be downright awful.

Cant ever see an AFL team playing here. Newcastle would be so far down the pecking order.

Personally i think the City has done a great thing hitching itself to the V8 bandwagon. now theres a sport that knows what its doing.

AFL has been tried in areas other than the southern states - it doesn't work.
    See Gold Coast, GWS, etc.
    It took Brisbane & Sydney decades to get any type of foothold in those cities, some might argue that they haven't been roaring successes either as the crowds really only turn up in the run in to the finals.
    Personally, AFL bores me to tears. And I can't see a game that's only popular in 3 states of one country on the planet expanding beyond that, regardless of ill-conceived games in China.
    At least get it right. Afl is huge in Vic, SA, WA, Tas, NT.

NRbogan owns NSW, Qld and Maybe ACT.

Boring? pffft I'll leave that to basketball where if you're under 6' you're worthless. Outliers dont count for the tryhard argument.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    You are 40 years too late for AFL. The game is structured within an inch of its life these days to the point whereby it's just dead ****ing boring to watch.
    Afl has just reinvented itself again this year. Formations and slight rule changes. All prof sports are highly engineered & in all facets.

Not sure how peeps see Afl as boring but each to own. I dont mind watching a bit of afl carn Carlton but I dont want to it overtake football here. All sports* for all but maybe football to somehow be the No1...#pipedream.

*cept 1, that one supports assholes of the world

because I'm ditching the Jets and I don't want the baggage of people knowing who I am carry over into this conversation
    Sorry to offend - but that is keyboard warrior gutlessness.

I'm siding with the Member - if you say this truly, you are not passionate about football and are looking for another toy to play with. I have heard people at Jets games say they might follow SFC next year?! What you are saying is no different. YOU want to support a winning team - that is all.

I have watched the game for over 40 years - I have supported every Newcastle football club, supported the Socceroos before they became fashionable and support a downtrodden British club that never wins anything. Moments like 2005 and 2008 are what supporting a club is all about. If we don't make another WC or the Jets never win again I will always remember two of the great nights of my life.

You do not just toss your support aside - you moan, you argue, you curse everyone at your club - but you SUPPORT that club, especially if it is your local club.

Unfortunately this is the era of plasticity and you see Man City, Barcelona and Chelsea shirts that you would not have seen 10-15 years ago.

Finally, Newcastle as a city has bad form in getting behind its sporting flagships. The Jets and Knights are as powerful as anyone will get and they are on hard times as it is. AFL won't work - I have no problem with the game and am partial to Carlton, but their attitude is very "Brexit" - like our game or you are not Austrayan, it openly attacks the other codes and puffs its chest that it is bigger than it actually is.

I can't argue with that, but I think you'll see memberships fall below 5,000 next year. And many, many people who are turning away aren't likely to come back unless the club becomes very successful again. They've just lost interest. The thing that concerned me most is still the lack of corporate support, even with the new owner. Vacant corporate boxes is never a good sign.
    Happened before and will happen again - and they DO comeback, they always do. The number of people I have met saying "never again" who still go to games. And many of our businesses are still getting to know the new regime. One of my businesses has a product relating to sports health. We are talking to Evergrande and if all goes well we will get into the corporate Jets bed. But it won't happen until those trust relationships are formed. I do know that Tinklers biggest mistake was not leveraging his businesses with the Chinese.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 31-03-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Man, some of you guys sure like being miserable huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I'm siding with the Member - if you say this truly, you are not passionate about football and are looking for another toy to play with. I have heard people at Jets games say they might follow SFC next year?! What you are saying is no different. YOU want to support a winning team - that is all.
    No, I'm not passionate about football, obviously. It's just a sport and I enjoyed it and the community atmosphere, but the community atmosphere around the Jets is toxic. After all this shit I would prefer to support a sustainable team and sport. I watched the Collingwood v Richmond game last night, and the corporate mainstream support through ground signage and television ads purely devoted to showing affinity to AFL were mindblowing. Despite the intentions, football has still been living in a sporting ghetto since 2005. It is a matter of opinion, but I don't think football will ever flip over into fully accepted mainstream in my lifetime. It is mainstream in Newcastle, but only in the community, not where the dollars are. The Jets would need to have a Man City like level of investment to drag corporate support across. I don't think it will happen with LEDMAN.

I think dumping the Jets to support Sydney FC is just ditching one piece of crap and replacing it with another one. It's not the same thing as walking away altogether. It is not about wanting support a winning team. It's actually looking at what I've been doing for the last 13 years and realising that its not going to get any better.

If we don't make another WC or the Jets never win again I will always remember two of the great nights of my life.
    So will I.

You do not just toss your support aside - you moan, you argue, you curse everyone at your club - but you SUPPORT that club, especially if it is your local club.
    That's your opinion, but what is it based on? The same people who say this, also say that there should be promotion and relegation to put pressure on clubs. Well, losing supporters also puts pressure on clubs to perform but they still don't take it seriously. It's not my fault they are a sack of shit. I gave every new ownership regime an opportunity to get their act together, this one included. i've seen nothing to indicate they actually understand what they're doing. Time's up.

Unfortunately this is the era of plasticity and you see Man City, Barcelona and Chelsea shirts that you would not have seen 10-15 years ago.
    Yeah, you saw ManU and Liverpool shirts 10/15 years ago. Ask any Liverpool fan why they supported them over Everton, or Sheffield Wednesday. Could it have been because they were the most successful team in the 80s? Talk about hypocrisy. I've never supported a team because they were successful, i've supported them because something about them meant something to me. The Jets used to mean something but they've lost it.

There are things in life that you shouldn't walk away from, but a football team ain't one of them. That's just propaganda served up to keep dud teams going.
    Last edited by Jules; 31-03-2017 at 12:46 PM.