Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bernie Skerrick Thread (shhhhh its code)

Banned

The Bernie Skerrick Thread (shhhhh its code)

Let's just sticky this ****er for future reference

Useless. Done literally nothing since he's been here.

Can't even be bothered being in the country for his appointment. Obvs hates Newy. Bye.

just for balance....

merrick in.

hasn't lost a game yet.
    no goals conceded.
    most importantly - hasn't uttered the phrase "moving forward" or,
    blamed injuries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    just for balance....

merrick in.

hasn't lost a game yet.
    no goals conceded.
    blamed injuries
    Or "its Just Another Game"
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    just for balance....

merrick in.

hasn't lost a game yet.
    no goals conceded.
    blamed injuries
    will need to know his current level of fazedness and also how significant he thinks games against the gypos are before i can arrive at an opinion.

I'll wait till the first time he says "it is what it is" before I put the boot in...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

So turns out someone else had already created a Merrick Out thread a few days ago - so the Member was too slow haha
    Thought it best to change this to an actual thread where people can actually discuss the coach without all this semi serious negativity around it.

Welcome to the club, Bernie
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

i wish him all the best.
    hope he wins every ****ing game and the Jets play awesome football.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Someone call the cops - there is a stranger in plagues house and is using his computer
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

The gist of his wordings yesterday.

ERNIE Merrick insists he can win a title at the Newcastle Jets.

The fiercely driven 64-year-old would not have accepted the coaching position – a poisoned chalice in recent seasons – if he did not.

Merrick has signed a two-year deal, beating former Blackburn manager Steve Kean, and by the end of that period he expects to be challenging for a title.

“I feel this club is going places,” Merrick told the Herald from Scotland where he is visiting family. “I am not one for trying to buy time. Because of the set-up, the facilities, the staff and the culture of the town – historically it is a great place for football – I think we can make a substantial difference in season one. That is certainly what I intend to do. I am not one who has a four-or-five-year plan. It is about doing it and doing it now. I am very big on having a winning mentality. I don’t care how skillful players are, if they are not there to win and fight for the club, they shouldn’t be there.

Merrick, who won two premierships and two championships with Melbourne Victory in 2007 and 2009 and guided Wellington Phoenix to the finals in 2015, is the Jets’ fifth coach in five years.

He resigned from his previous post in Wellington in December. The Phoenix, who were last at the time, boasted a squad headed by Kosta Bourbarouses and Gui Finkler. But Merrick believed the club was at too big a disadvantage to be successful.

“I couldn’t see them winning anything,” he said. “I liked the club, I liked the setup and I had good support. It was was more to do with FIFA windows not being respected and the horrendous travel schedule we were continually given. We had six of our best players out for six games.”

Top of the shopping list is a creative midfielder.

“The game is pretty simple,” Merrick said. “Invade territory and get into areas where you can score crucial goals. I think Newcastle had trouble doing that towards the end of the season. If you have a striker you need to get service to him. I would think an attacking midfielder would be crucial for the team. There is the foundation of a very good squad. Steve Ugarkovic in the middle of the pitch, Nick Cowburn and Lachy Jackson are in the Olympic team ... I would like to add more quality experienced players. The balance then would be very good. There are quite a few good Australian players who are available. It is case of making sure they know we are looking for players.”

Merrick, who has coached the most game in the A-League, has a different approach to many.

“I tend to try and build a team around goal-scorers rather than build from the defence forwards,” he said. “If you look at the teams I’ve had previously, whether it be Archie Thompson, Danny Allsopp, Robbie Kruse, Roy Krishna, it is about getting the ball to those players quickly. ”

The Jets have 10 players off-contract headed by Ben Kantarovski, Labinot Haliti and Andrew Hoole.

It is only fair to let them know as soon as possible,” Merrick said. “That will happen in the next couple of weeks. I have to be thorough. I don’t think it will be a major clean out.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    The gist of his wordings yesterday.
    Words don't mean much without action, but it's a nice change from the ****ing "minister of defence" we had last season, who didn't actually know how to set up the team to not concede.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    we need to start using this translator to work out what the **** he's saying

http://www.scotranslate.com/

eg:
    what the media reported:
    “I feel this club is going places,”
    I am not one for trying to buy time. Because of the set-up, the facilities, the staff and the culture of the town – historically it is a great place for football – I think we can make a substantial difference in season one. That is certainly what I intend to do. I am not one who has a four-or-five-year plan. It is about doing it and doing it now. I am very big on having a winning mentality. I don’t care how skillful players are, if they are not there to win and fight for the club, they shouldn’t be there.”

what was actually said:
    “i cop this dancin is gaun places,” amurnay yin fur trying tae buy time. Fur o' th' set-up, th' facilities, th' warkers 'n' th' culchur o' th' toun – historically it's a stoatin steid fur fitba – ah think we kin mak' a substantial difference in seezin yin. That is certainly whit ah intend tae dae. Amurnay yin wha haes a four-or-five-year plan. It's aboot daein' it 'n' daein' it noo. A'm gey muckle oan haein a winnin' mentality. Ah don’t care howfur skillful players ur, if they're nae thare tae win 'n' rammy fur th' dancin, thay shouldn’t be there.

5 star post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    we need to start using this translator to work out what the **** he's saying

http://www.scotranslate.com/

eg:
    what the media reported:
    “I feel this club is going places,”
    I am not one for trying to buy time. Because of the set-up, the facilities, the staff and the culture of the town – historically it is a great place for football – I think we can make a substantial difference in season one. That is certainly what I intend to do. I am not one who has a four-or-five-year plan. It is about doing it and doing it now. I am very big on having a winning mentality. I don’t care how skillful players are, if they are not there to win and fight for the club, they shouldn’t be there.”

what was actually said:
    “i cop this dancin is gaun places,” amurnay yin fur trying tae buy time. Fur o' th' set-up, th' facilities, th' warkers 'n' th' culchur o' th' toun – historically it's a stoatin steid fur fitba – ah think we kin mak' a substantial difference in seezin yin. That is certainly whit ah intend tae dae. Amurnay yin wha haes a four-or-five-year plan. It's aboot daein' it 'n' daein' it noo. A'm gey muckle oan haein a winnin' mentality. Ah don’t care howfur skillful players ur, if they're nae thare tae win 'n' rammy fur th' dancin, thay shouldn’t be there.
    Though it must be pointed out that Bernie appears to be talking out of his arse

This club is going places
    WTF does that mean??

I don't see us going anywhere Making 6th is going to be a battle

He is very big on having a winning mentality??
    Shame his 14 existing players don't have it

WTF does that mean??

Kick the door in and tell everyone they will be better. No if's or but's, just this is the way it will be. Seems like the only way to try to turn us around in the time frame he has set.

If he starts signing winners we will know how much of it is talk and how much is media hot air. He knows he has a battle on his hand to get numbers up for returning members next year so i'm ok with this sort of talk coming from him. Doesn't affect me, but could keep some of the facebookers onside. We need their money to get beer prices down.

I reckon if he signs 1 quality player before the end of June he will do a world of diffence to the mums and dads who are probably not coming back next year. A Castro/Bonevacia/Burns type player who we know would do well in the league would be huge for management right now.

Don't get this confused with any talk of making the 6 or being a decent club or anything else wrong around here. I'm solely talking about getting plastic fans to spend their money here again next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

WTF does that mean??

I took it as a dig that he thinks this years squad did not have the right mentality, and if they do not change that then they won't be around for long or playing much

WTF does that mean??

**** me member, whats with all the negativity lately?
    At first I thought you were just always taking the piss, but your posts lately are getting to the point where it sounds like you're starting to believe your own bullshit

“The game is pretty simple,” Merrick said. “Invade territory and get into areas where you can score crucial goals. I think Newcastle had trouble doing that towards the end of the season. If you have a striker you need to get service to him. I would think an attacking midfielder would be crucial for the team. There is the foundation of a very good squad. Steve Ugarkovic in the middle of the pitch, Nick Cowburn and Lachy Jackson are in the Olympic team ... I would like to add more quality experienced players. The balance then would be very good. There are quite a few good Australian players who are available. It is case of making sure they know we are looking for players.”
    Already the best coach we've ever had
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

WTF does that mean??

Geez you confuse us plebs - not long ago you lambasted the club for aiming low and "finishing in the six" and suggested we take the Leicester route and aim high.

You are like the guys redeveloping the CBD - make it up as you go along.

I think Ernie is just getting it out there that mentality and culture has to change - he knows he can't sack everyone so he is putting them on notice.

And surely you must love his line last night - "we should make the finals, no excuses".