Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moofie Thread

I was wrapped in the LotR books (and movies), but the Hobbit didn't do it as much for me, maybe because you can tell it was written for kids. I feel like The Hobbit book has been hyped a lot more than it should have, because of the LotR books and movies tbh.

These Hobbit movies were only ever going to be about setting up the LotR movies, prequel style, and so I came to grips early that they would focus a lot more on that. The moment I saw them focus so much on Legolas (who is kind of in the book, but goes unnamed and features very little) just confirmed for me that I would be in trouble if I focused too much on the book/movie thing.

Even after all the review I've read, I'm still keen to see this last movie (that covers all of about 3-4 chapters of the book, by my memory ).

Btw can someone answer me this - I seem to remember from the book that I was overly confused as to who the "Five Armies" were, because I counted 6 or 7. Who are the five armies?
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I was wrapped in the LotR books (and movies), but the Hobbit didn't do it as much for me, maybe because you can tell it was written for kids. I feel like The Hobbit book has been hyped a lot more than it should have, because of the LotR books and movies tbh.

These Hobbit movies were only ever going to be about setting up the LotR movies, prequel style, and so I came to grips early that they would focus a lot more on that. The moment I saw them focus so much on Legolas (who is kind of in the book, but goes unnamed and features very little) just confirmed for me that I would be in trouble if I focused too much on the book/movie thing.

Even after all the review I've read, I'm still keen to see this last movie (that covers all of about 3-4 chapters of the book, by my memory ).

Btw can someone answer me this - I seem to remember from the book that I was overly confused as to who the "Five Armies" were, because I counted 6 or 7. Who are the five armies?
    Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Men, Animals
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Men, Animals
    So are orcs, goblins & wargs considered one army? I'm sure orcs and goblins were split into two in the book.

And wasn't there an army of bats too?

And the eagles?

And there were two seperate groups of dwarves from memory too.
    OK

stupid ass books if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    stupid ass books if you ask me
    Noone asked you Q.. Get back to your books with the fold out pages in the centre..

So are orcs, goblins & wargs considered one army? I'm sure orcs and goblins were split into two in the book.

And wasn't there an army of bats too?

And the eagles?

And there were two seperate groups of dwarves from memory too.
    I havnt read the book so only going off the movie. it was also a little confusing having not seen the second movie.

there were two armies of dwarfs but can be considered one as the leaders were cousins, and from the movie it appears that the king from the mountain had organised his cousins arrival.

Army of bat like creatures were apart of the second onslaught of the orcs.

and the eagles carried the animals to the battle which was all under the leadership of the brown wizard or the animal loving wizard.

fantasy dorks are the worst, i used to run a bookshop (no shit)

i employed a nerd who was totally useless purely so she could deal with their nonsense. ironically she was about five years ahead of the vampire sex freak stuff so i should have got on board. she was kind of hot as well. but incredibly vacuous in all other matters except fantasy books. *sigh

fantasy dorks are the worst, i used to run a bookshop (no shit)

i employed a nerd who was totally useless purely so she could deal with their nonsense. ironically she was about five years ahead of the vampire sex freak stuff so i should have got on board. she was kind of hot as well. but incredibly vacuous in all other matters except fantasy books. *sigh
    OK

this is legit the worst thing i've ever seen

this is legit the worst thing i've ever seen

That was the "heart" that porksey was referring to.
    OK

Don't get me wrong, I love the movies and the books..
    All I could think of was this scene from Clerks 2.. Particularly the last part about the gayness..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love the movies and the books..
    All I could think of was this scene from Clerks 2.. Particularly the last part about the gayness..

Beat me to it hahaha.
    Jaliens gives me the horn

I didn't read any of the books.
    The LOTR movies were ok to watch up until the last hour of the last movie FOR GODS SAKE JUST SAY GOODBYE AND END THIS THING.
    Watched the first 2 hobbit ones out of obligation to Mrs Plague who read the books.
    Movies went: bad thing chase good guy. Bad thing and good guy have fight. Good guy wins (just) then onto the next chase/fight.

Will watch the last one out of obligation but anticipation level is zero.

Agree with Q though, fantasy/sci fi nerds are the worst. The amount of stuff written about every new Marvel film is staggering in its banality THATS NOT THE RIGHT SKIN COLOUR FOR THANOS, JOSS WHEEDEN MUST BE KILLED.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Movies went: bad thing chase good guy. Bad thing and good guy have fight. Good guy wins (just) then onto the next chase/fight.
    phwoar spoiler alert!

Some fantasy/scifi is amazing, I don't care how nerdy it would seem. For eg: I'm up to date with Game of Thrones on the tellybox, and enjoyed it so much I am now reading the books (which I'm enjoying just as much).
    OK

phwoar spoiler alert!

Some fantasy/scifi is amazing, I don't care how nerdy it would seem. For eg: I'm up to date with Game of Thrones on the tellybox, and enjoyed it so much I am now reading the books (which I'm enjoying just as much).
    FWIW I'm down with sci-fi/fantasy movies as much as the next guy.
    I just don't get the whole mob of people out there dissecting every little detai like it's important.

Like those idiots who spend all day on football forums.
    They are the worst.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    lotr is "ok"

right
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

An alternate council of Elrond

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    lotr is "ok"

right
    I actually said
    The LOTR movies were ok to watch up until the last hour of the last movie
    and should have added "in my opinion".

Seeing as though you seem to have an issue with that i'll expand.
    Once again, all opinions are personal.
    I thought the first movie was a little slow, especially compared to the final 2. Once again i didnt read the books so yes the source material is what it is.
    Second movie set up the third quite well. I thought it was the best of the three.
    Third movie had quite awesome (some say 'groundbreaking') special effects in its battle scenes. Unfortunately for people who were around for the original Star Wars trilogy (not me), or for Terminator 2 (yes me) would say they have already been to a movie with groundbreaking special effects so it may not have had such a big wow factor to it.
    As stated i thought the end of the third movie went on too long and when your last memory of a movie 'event' that took 2 years to conclude is one of being slightly bored then it probably stains the rest of the memory of what you had already seen.
    Aside from that i liked it, hence thinking it was ok.

For perspective, i present the just recently made up Plague movie scale.
    1-3/10 - 'bad' Avatar is in this group.
    4-6/10 - 'meh' seen it, prob wont watch again, didnt offend me in the way Avatar did.
    7-8/10 - 'ok', good. considered myself 'entertained' after watching. will watch if on Foxtel, prob own the DVD once it hits the magical JB Hi-Fi $12.98 pricepoint.
    9-10/10 - 'great'. will watch again, probably spend way too much time reading IMDB trivia and hunting down the writer/director/stars other work to give it a go.

anyway, back on topic.

How shit is Avatar huh????
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

When did the movie thread become the geek wars thread. You lost me when you started going on about sucking dildo baggins dick

I thought the second LOTR movie was the best IMO. I fell asleep in the third....
    Jaliens gives me the horn