Page 30 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

That's made me want to go listen to LTE now. Maybe some Petrucci solo... Suspended Animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    That's made me want to go listen to LTE now. Maybe some Petrucci solo... Suspended Animation.
    I haven't listened to much Liquid Tension Experiment, might give it a bit of a bash now..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I haven't listened to much Liquid Tension Experiment, might give it a bit of a bash now..
    Is good. DT without vocals, basically. Just a Portnoy/Petrucci wank fest.

Is good. DT without vocals, basically. Just a Portnoy/Petrucci wank fest.
    Dude, that sort of wankfest is always amazing stuff.. I've got the self titled LTE album on now..
    Sometimes when there are keyboards and things involved all at once the music just gets a bit too "busy" for me, but this is tops..

One of my fave instrumental songs ever is by Darkest Hour.. (Back in my playing days, we got to open for them at the Cambo too, haha)
    It's 13 minutes of brilliance.. Not a technical fap-fest, just a rollercoaster of emotions..

This Friday night, Clutch are playing at the Metro in Sydney.. Anyone else heading down?
    Such an underrated band.. Definitely worth checking out..

Can anyone here advise me of a good luthier / guitar tech in Newcastle ? Have been to two pretenders so far with absolutely no joy. I'd do it myself but failing vision makes it very difficult for me these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Can anyone here advise me of a good luthier / guitar tech in Newcastle ? Have been to two pretenders so far with absolutely no joy. I'd do it myself but failing vision makes it very difficult for me these days.
    I took my bass to the luthier at Muso's a few weeks ago.. Came back quite nice.. You tried there?
    Still waiting to hear back about my amp/head, although I was warned it would be a few weeks before they could diagnose the issues..

I took my bass to the luthier at Muso's a few weeks ago.. Came back quite nice.. You tried there?
    Still waiting to hear back about my amp/head, although I was warned it would be a few weeks before they could diagnose the issues..
    I took an acoustic to Musos for a set up. You could drive a bus between the 12th fret and the strings when I gave it to them - and you could still do it when I got it back.

Furthermore, they don't even write a report detailing the measurements of the setup so you can replicate it in the future.

Did they give you the measurements when they set up your bass or was it just a case of here it is ?

I used to go to Music HQ at New lambton, now Jacks.

Musos was ok not as good as HQ

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post

I've spent a dollar or two at HQ over the years. Good shop.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 11-03-2016 at 01:59 AM.

I took an acoustic to Musos for a set up. You could drive a bus between the 12th fret and the strings when I gave it to them - and you could still do it when I got it back.

Furthermore, they don't even write a report detailing the measurements of the setup so you can replicate it in the future.

Did they give you the measurements when they set up your bass or was it just a case of here it is ?
    What sort of an acoustic was it? I'm assuming it wasn't a cheapie if you were taking it there for a setup/servicing?
    I didn't get measurements, however they fixed internal wiring, tested the active pickups (i was afraid they had rusted a bit due to ocean air), tightened everything, fixed the bridge, polished it, replaced strings with gauging of my choice, etc.. I know these are all relatively basic things to do yourself, but once every few years I like to send it in just to make sure I haven't missed anything and to get that "freshened" feeling.. haha

I haven't jammed with my big amp in years (only my small one on low volumes while practising at home) and after pulling it out all I was getting was hectic farty disgusting tones.. Plugged DI to record some of it to see if it was my cab or head, and it still came out horrible.. Which made me question if it was the head or my actual bass.. I'm assuming I've got some sort of corrosion in the head, or blown a tube.. In which case could be cheaper to get a whole new head. Not happy if thats the case..

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post

Haven't been there in years.. I didn't realise it was even still there..

What sort of an acoustic was it? I'm assuming it wasn't a cheapie if you were taking it there for a setup/servicing?
    I didn't get measurements, however they fixed internal wiring, tested the active pickups (i was afraid they had rusted a bit due to ocean air), tightened everything, fixed the bridge, polished it, replaced strings with gauging of my choice, etc.. I know these are all relatively basic things to do yourself, but once every few years I like to send it in just to make sure I haven't missed anything and to get that "freshened" feeling.. haha

I haven't jammed with my big amp in years (only my small one on low volumes while practising at home) and after pulling it out all I was getting was hectic farty disgusting tones.. Plugged DI to record some of it to see if it was my cab or head, and it still came out horrible.. Which made me question if it was the head or my actual bass.. I'm assuming I've got some sort of corrosion in the head, or blown a tube.. In which case could be cheaper to get a whole new head. Not happy if thats the case..

Haven't been there in years.. I didn't realise it was even still there..
    You did well with the guitar. They did a lot of work on it - and it would have taken a bit of time as well. The fact they don't provide measurements of changes they make and so on though still gives me the impression that they are not serious about what they do.

The acoustic is a Solid Mahogany Maton Mini. I only use it for noodling on the lounge while I watch TV - so nothing too speical or serious about it.

With respect to valve amps I have had them for over 40 years.

Tubes do not die over time only through usage. Power tubes depending on plate voltages used can last 5000hrs for very good ones not pushed too hard - but average is around 1000hrs and a few hundred hours for Chinese types pushed hard - if you are lucky.
    Pre-amp / input tubles like 12ax7, 12au7 or other dual triodes can last for 10,000hrs even longer.

I'm guessing your problem is very simple.

1. You need to check / adjust the bias
    2. You have dust or corrosion in the tube sockets.
    3. You might have a failed Cap - but 99/100 times a visual inspection will answer that for you. Looking for bulging or crack in severe cases.

One thing you don;t want to do though is run the head without a speaker connected. The reason is that the output transformers need to be coupled / connected to a load / speaker. So if you do run the head without a load long enough you will eventually burn out the output transformers [Reason: Without a speaker connected the impedance to the Output transformer will tend towards infinity] - that is an expensive problem.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 11-03-2016 at 11:50 AM.

You did well with the guitar. They did a lot of work on it - and it would have taken a bit of time as well. The fact they don't provide measurements of changes they make and so on though still gives me the impression that they are not serious about what they do.

The acoustic is a Solid Mahogany Maton Mini. I only use it for noodling on the lounge while I watch TV - so nothing too speical or serious about it.

With respect to valve amps I have had them for over 40 years.

Tubes do not die over time only through usage. Power tubes depending on plate voltages used can last 5000hrs for very good ones not pushed too hard - but average is around 1000hrs and a few hundred hours for Chinese types pushed hard - if you are lucky.
    Pre-amp / input tubles like 12ax7, 12au7 or other dual triodes can last for 10,000hrs even longer.

I'm guessing your problem is very simple.

1. You need to check / adjust the bias
    2. You have dust or corrosion in the tube sockets.
    3. You might have a failed Cap - but 99/100 times a visual inspection will answer that for you. Looking for bulging or crack in severe cases.

One thing you don;t want to do though is run the head without a speaker connected. The reason is that the output transformers need to be coupled / connected to a load / speaker. So if you do run the head without a load long enough you will eventually burn out the output transformers - that is an expensive problem.
    Oh very nice, Maton's are beautiful.. I've been thinking about getting a Maton acoustic, one of their lower end ones like the S60, just to do the same sort of thing, a nice strum/fumble around at home..
    Not entirely sure yet though..

As for the amp, I really hope it is something "simple" like that.. I don't like the idea of forking out another couple of grand for a new head.. (although its a good excuse to have a look at some nice Ampeg badboys.. hahah) I've had the amp for about 10 years now, but definitely have not had it going for 5000hrs+.. (It has got a 12ax7 pre-amp and EL84 output)
    For any of your guesses, do you think it would be an expensive job? I've got no idea..

Oh very nice, Maton's are beautiful.. I've been thinking about getting a Maton acoustic, one of their lower end ones like the S60, just to do the same sort of thing, a nice strum/fumble around at home..
    Not entirely sure yet though..

As for the amp, I really hope it is something "simple" like that.. I don't like the idea of forking out another couple of grand for a new head.. (although its a good excuse to have a look at some nice Ampeg badboys.. hahah) I've had the amp for about 10 years now, but definitely have not had it going for 5000hrs+.. (It has got a 12ax7 pre-amp and EL84 output)
    For any of your guesses, do you think it would be an expensive job? I've got no idea..
    If you want an acoustic go to Jacks / Music Head Quarters and play a Larivee acoustic. They are a lot better than a Maton acoustically and price wise are very similar.
    Matons are great plugged in but can be a little overbuilt / tightly constructed which doesn't equate well for them acoustically.

Valve amps are very simple. These guys are supposed to be very good and are authorized repairers for a few well known valve amps brands: http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/
    They are at Waratah. I don't know them but have heard good things. Might be worth giving them a call.

Anyone else listen to Hands like Houses?? if not get into them Aussie band from Canberra and there fricken incredible

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

If you ever wanted to see the fine line between genius, crazy and rebellious here is a good starting point.
    Back when artists were announced to perform the Superbowl halftime show, probably the most watched musical event every year, they usually did a press conference to promote it.
    Anyway the year Prince does it he gets announced, walks onstage with a full band and asks for questions.
    3 words into the first question he cuts the reporter off with a screaming guitar then just jams for the next 12 minutes.
    If you know anything about the NFL and the way they do things this was such a slap in the face to the authority and him just saying "screw it, I'm here to play and thats it".
    In this day and age where music is so corporatised (which is no problem, everyone needs a dollar), he was a true rebel who continuously did **** the system, not just talk about it.
    http://videos.sapo.mz/jqBWnlQ9IH5dlh3Jf9po
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Anyone else listen to Hands like Houses?? if not get into them Aussie band from Canberra and there fricken incredible

They look like a boy band.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    If you ever wanted to see the fine line between genius, crazy and rebellious here is a good starting point.
    Back when artists were announced to perform the Superbowl halftime show, probably the most watched musical event every year, they usually did a press conference to promote it.
    Anyway the year Prince does it he gets announced, walks onstage with a full band and asks for questions.
    3 words into the first question he cuts the reporter off with a screaming guitar then just jams for the next 12 minutes.
    If you know anything about the NFL and the way they do things this was such a slap in the face to the authority and him just saying "screw it, I'm here to play and thats it".
    In this day and age where music is so corporatised (which is no problem, everyone needs a dollar), he was a true rebel who continuously did **** the system, not just talk about it.
    this a million times, if anyone talks about doing it his way, prince truly did it his way. man is a god damned genius.

People who have no idea of the road rules.

(I assume this is the WGMG thread now?)
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

Thank you so much for sharing this. What a moment.