Page 36 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post

Listened to the new Sepultura whilst in Perth... think I might load that up again today.

New Mastodon and Ayreon coming soon too.

Complete change of scene... the new John Mayer is pretty decent.
    New Seps?? I didn't even know they had anything new going on.. Ayreon, I don't know them.. Will have a look at both..
    As for the new Mastodon, I've already pre-ordered the album!! Majorly pumped for it, one of the best bands going around today..

I won't make any comment on your last line.. Which fit bird is he allegedly slaying these days?

Seps came out mid Jan... over two weeks ago, at least.

Ayreon is Arjen Anthony Lucassen... real proper prog. Lots of guest vocalists on his Ayreon albums.
    His last solo album, Lost in the New Real, is close to my favourite concept album of all time. His cover of Welcome to the Machine on that album is brilliant as well.

The Darkness finally announce dates in Oz after after couple of years not touring here... but have to go to farking Groovin' the Moo and sit through a day of shit music to see them smash out a 40 minute or less set. Tough call!

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    The Darkness finally announce dates in Oz after after couple of years not touring here... but have to go to farking Groovin' the Moo and sit through a day of shit music to see them smash out a 40 minute or less set. Tough call!
    My property is at Oakhampton and I have the misfortune of being able to hear the many shit bands at that concert each year. The bass players in particular often sound like they only picked the instrument up the day before - and used a Sid Vicious book on Bass technique to get their chops.

Bon (or anyone)... did you go to Thrashville?

They contacted Newcastle DG about setting up a mini course for the day...

I didn't.. A guy I work with did though..
    He said it was pretty sweet, but not as many people there as they had hoped would be..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I didn't.. A guy I work with did though..
    He said it was pretty sweet, but not as many people there as they had hoped would be..
    Probably because they didn't promote the disc golf side of things enough....

Probably because they didn't promote the disc golf side of things enough....
    I reckon that was the problem..

So they actually had a course set up? Or did it not happen at all?

Two baskets got set up.

I was over in Perth otherwise I would have headed up there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    My property is at Oakhampton and I have the misfortune of being able to hear the many shit bands at that concert each year. The bass players in particular often sound like they only picked the instrument up the day before - and used a Sid Vicious book on Bass technique to get their chops.
    Jesus... as a bass player myself I think that just convinced me to avoid the whole thing and just hope and pray for a sideshow somewhere!
    Last edited by evolution; 01-02-2017 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Accidentally a word

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Jesus... a bass player myself I think that just convinced me to avoid the whole thing and just hope and pray for a sideshow somewhere!
    Hahaha I am too, but I didnt want to respond to the comment in case Dunster was looking for a bite..
    I realise now, that he is serious.. and 100% correct..

Anyway, some brilliant gigs coming up over the next couple of months for anyone in to some metal..

February 14 - Psycroptic + King Parrot + Revocation, Cambridge Hotel, Newy

April 23 - Protest The Hero, Small Ballroom, Newy
    Everyone should go and see Psycroptic, very underrated in this country.
    Thoughts on Protest the Hero? I gave them a bit of a listen as the dudes from Propaghandi go on about them (and propaghandi are legends), but it just didn't quite get there for me.

Few mates went out.
    They said Jen Buxton was very good, as were Beefweek and Clowns.
    They said it went pretty well, but missed 1 more bigger name or slightly more current metal/punk to make it a really great show.
    No mention of disc gold though.

Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    Everyone should go and see Psycroptic, very underrated in this country.
    Thoughts on Protest the Hero? I gave them a bit of a listen as the dudes from Propaghandi go on about them (and propaghandi are legends), but it just didn't quite get there for me.
    Musically, I think they are amazing.. So tight and technical.. Absolutely loved their first album, Kezia..
    It took me a while to get used to the vocals.. The bloke can sing, but it can reach the borderline of whiney/emo at times..
    They are a band that I have had on my list of "must see at least once" but never had the opportunity..

This is an oldie (2005) but I kinda feel this song gives a good example of their musical versatility and technical abilities, its got a bit of everything going on (and an interesting clip too)..
    In all honesty, I haven't listened to much of their new stuff..

Also, I've got a rager for the Spector bass that is being used..
    Last edited by Bon; 01-02-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Musically, I think they are amazing.. So tight and technical.. Absolutely loved their first album, Kezia..
    It took me a while to get used to the vocals.. The bloke can sing, but it can reach the borderline of whiney/emo at times..
    They are a band that I have had on my list of "must see at least once" but never had the opportunity..

This is an oldie (2005) but I kinda feel this song gives a good example of their musical versatility and technical abilities, its got a bit of everything going on (and an interesting clip too)..
    In all honesty, I haven't listened to much of their new stuff..

Also, I've got a rager for the Spector bass that is being used..
    The vocalist is very good. Has the sort of voice that would fit with any genre of music.

Out of curiosity, what drives you guys' interest in heavy/metal music? I've never really gotten into it. The themes? Technical/musicianship side of it? Just the louder/heavier/more dense soundscape of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Out of curiosity, what drives you guys' interest in heavy/metal music? I've never really gotten into it. The themes? Technical/musicianship side of it? Just the louder/heavier/more dense soundscape of it?
    There is heavy and then there is HEAVY. I grew up listing to Blue Cheer and Vanilla Fudge then moved onto the bands that copied them like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. The thing great about these bands is not only were they great musicians they also represented the way we felt about the world at the time. From then the torch was passed to Iron Maiden and a host of other bands - the playing became more neo-classical and all but the theme behind the music was always a case of us versus them.

Meanwhile the Punk movement hit and we had The Stooges, Ramones, Paty Smith, Sex Pistols, Saints, GBH, Radio Birdman.... and so on. The hard rock and heavy metal went to the back of the play list for a couple of years

By the time Metallica arrived there wasn't much that had,'t already been done. Sure they played well and had some great riffs but overall they stood for nothing and didn't bring anything new to the table.

Fast forward to the extreme HEAVY sound today and while I'm not a fan I can appreciate that it must relate to it's fan base much the same way as Sabbath and Deep Purple did to me as a teenager.
    There are still pretenders out there - from Germany who can't play for shit - but they represent an audience more so than the mainstream who represent whatever their Harvard MBA puppet masters demand

Oh - and the concerts - there is nothing like hard rock / heavy metal at 120db. Even if you are not into it - go to a concert and you soon will be - Home stereos don't do this music justice.

Last edited by The Dunster; 01-02-2017 at 07:12 PM.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Personally I'd like the balance to be a bit more back towards rock and guitar bands than it is at the moment but I don't mind the producer/electronic style prevalent at the moment too much.
    Not having a crack at your individually, but this is a common theme I see from the generation that thinks triple j has "gone to shit".

Triple J plays a lot of rock and guitar music, especially from young Australian bands. They are still huge on new and independent music. But the reality is rock is not the dominant force it used to be in youth culture right now.

Electronic music and hip hop are getting more popular every day and quite frankly the quality of music coming from those genres is consistently higher than the rock scene at the moment. I can't think of many rock bands that have come out in the last decade that have captured the world the way a Radiohead or U2 have in yesteryear.

The j's first priority is to stay relevant musically and cater for what young people want.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    The j's first priority is to stay relevant musically and cater for what young people want.
    Heres my problem.

I'm not a young anymore

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Heres my problem.

I'm not a young anymore
    Thats what CDs and MP3 players are for also Spotify
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight