Thread: The Music Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Very hard defining "pop" - I now realise most of my collection "isn't"!

The new Sgt Pepper mixes later this month will be interesting. The greatest pop music was during the 60's but it was a singles market and albums were just singles collections plus filler.

In the 70's the biggest bands in pop music - Slade, Sweet, T-Rex, Skyhooks, Sherbet et al don't really sound like "pop" now, though they were considered that at the time.

I'd give a guernsey to Abba's "Arrival" - very classy LP that one and I still have it.

80's/90's is pop heaven due to the onset of video - not much since 2000 strikes me as pop though in terms of albums, seems to be singles driven again.
    Slade, Sweet, T-Rex, and to a lesser extent Skyhooks - I'd say would sit alongside hair metal type bands like Poison, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi - that sort of thing. Not Metal / not rock / not really pop either. But with mass appeal among teens at the time.

But if I had to define what Pop was in the early to mid 70's it would be these guys.

Oh how we hated them so much. And yet over 40 years later I kind think they weren't so bad. Maybe even good.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-04-2017 at 12:48 PM.