2013/2014 Hyundai A-League
Season 9 Round 21
Western Sydney Wanderers FC vs Newcastle United Jets FC
When: Sunday 2nd March, 2014
Where: Parramatta Stadium, O’Connell St, Parramatta, NSW
Kickoff: 5pm AEDST (gates open 4pm)
Tickets: Ticketek Link (password required)
Prematch March: Meet @ Parramatta Station (Argyle St) march to stadium begins at 345pm
Watch: LIVE on Foxsports 1 and FoxSports 1HD
Listen: ABC Sydney 702 or ABC Grandstand Digital online
Tweet: @newyboys #WSWvNEW #NTUA
If you are unable to travel to the game in Parramatta, please come down to the District Park Tennis Club in Broadmeadow and watch the game LIVE. The Tenzo is now our permanent venue for both home AND away Newcastle Jets fixtures.
Overall – 5 games between the two teams.
Last Result –
Jets 2 (Taggart 26, 90) – Western Sydney Wanderers 2 (Mooy 45,Beauchamp 65) at Hunter Stadium, Round 17
Biggest Win –
Jets 2 (R Griffiths 26, Heskey 37) – Western Sydney Wanderers 1 (Gibbs 15), Round 6, Season 8 at Pirtek Stadium, 10/11/2012.
Heaviest Defeat –
Jets 0 – Western Sydney Wanderers 3 (Bridge 6, 33, Visconte 80), Round 27, Season 8 at Hunter Stadium, 29/03/2013.
Leading Scorers in fixture –
Jets – 2 (Adam Taggart), Western Sydney Wanderers – 4 (Mark Bridge)
Coaches Head to Head –
1 match. Tony Popovic (0 win). Clayton Zane (0 wins). 1 draw
Newcastle Jets Coaching Records –
Gary Van Egmond – 4 matches (1 wins, 0 draw and 3 losses = 20% win ratio)
Clayton Zane – 1 match (0 wins, 1 draw and 0 losses = 0% win ratio)
Average Away crowd – 9800
- Mark Bridge has scored against the Jets 6 times since leaving. Four of those goals have been scored while playing for the Wanderers.
- In 5 matches, only 3 Wanderers players have received bookings.
- The Jets have never kept the Wanderers scoreless.
- The Jets are undefeated at Pirtek Stadium. The other away game last season was held at Campbelltown.
- Ruben Zadkovich and Mark Birighitti are on the brink of suspension. Both players have been booked 4 times this season.
- Strangely, every match (8) where Ante Covic has been in the opposition’s goals, the Jets have never kept a clean sheet.
- Joel Griffiths is the only person to have been sent off in this fixture.
- The Jets have received an average of 2.5 yellow cards per match this season.
- The last match involving these two teams was full of controversy following the final whistle. Joel Griffiths was dismissed after full time was blown and Ante Covic clattered Adam Taggart in a challenge as the final whistle sounded. The Jets managed to snatch a late draw on that occasion.
- 4 of the Jets 6 wins this season have come away from home. However the Jets have only drawn once on the road this season and lost the other 5 matches.
- The Jets are scoring an average of one goal per game this season.
- When compared to this time last season, the Jets are in a very similar position. After 20 games, the Jets have the exact amount of points (23). The W-D-L result it the same (6-5-9). However we have scored 4 fewer goals this season (24 v 20) but have also conceded 6 fewer in turn (33 v 27).
- Neither team has been awarded a penalty in this fixture.
- The only time the Jets have been ahead at half time, they have gone on to win.
The Referee – TBA
Acknowledgements to the following websites for collating the various information which was subsequently analysed to produce this pre-game analysis.