2016/2017 Hyundai A-League
Season 12 Round 2
Newcastle United Jets FC vs Brisbane Roar FC
When: Sunday 16th October, 2016
Where: Hunter Stadium, 294 Turton Road, New Lambton, NSW
Kickoff: 5pm AEDST (gates open 4pm)
Tickets: Ticketmaster Link
Prematch: Premier Hotel, 1 Brunker Rd, Broadmeadow from 2pm
Join The Squadron at our new venue The Premier Hotel for prematch drinks. All supporters are welcome – u18’s will need to be accompanied by a supervising adult.
If you sign up to become a Premier Hotel member for $10, you receive $10 in credit on your card. Ask for a membership form at the bar. A Premier Hotel membership gets you a 5% discount on food & drink not only at Premier but also at Junction Hotel & Sunnyside Tavern. We will depart from the Premier 40 mins prior to the 5pm kickoff.
Watch: LIVE on Foxsports 4 and FoxSports 4HD
Listen: ABC Newcastle 1233 or ABC Grandstand online
Tweet: @newyboys #NTUA #NEWvBRI
Active support is now located in the Bay 40/41 on the Southern Hill.
If you have ever wanted to join active support and try it out, now is the time. We are looking for people to step up and be involved in active support so please come along and join in.
Make sure you purchase a Squadron membership online or a Squadron ticket from the dedicated ticket window at the Southern Gates to gain entry to the active support area.
Jets Wins – 12, Roar Wins – 13, Drawn – 9
Jets Wins – 3, Roar Wins – 9, Drawn – 6
In Brisbane – 16 matches
Jets Wins – 9, Roar Wins – 4, Drawn – 3
Average Home A-League Crowd – 9791
Average Away A-League Crowd – 11246
Goals in Fixture
Jets – 36, Roar – 42
In Newcastle –
Jets – 16, Roar – 31
1st Goals in Fixture
Jets – 18, Roar – 14
Cards in Fixture
Jets – 81 (74 yellow, 7 red), Roar 49 (45 yellow, 4 red)
Recent Form (A-League)
Jets – D (1 points from last 15)
Roar – D (1 points from last 15)
Jets – Wayne Brown (1)
Roar – Luke DeVere (1)
Last Result –
Jets 1 (Leonardo 50′ pen) – Roar 2 (Henrique 67′ pen, Broich 74′) at Suncorp Stadium, A-League, Round 26, 3/4/2016.
Starting line-ups from Last Meeting in Season 15/16 Round 26
|Newcastle Jets||Brisbane Roar|
|Mark Birighitti||Jamie Young|
|Jason Hoffman||Jack Hingert|
|Daniel Mullen||Jade North|
|Nigel Boogaard||James Donachie|
|Nick Cowburn||Corey Brown|
|Steven Ugarkovic||Matt McKay|
|Leonardo Vitor Santiago||Dimitri Petratos|
|Enver Alivodic||Thomas Broich|
|Morten Nordstrand||Jamie Maclaren|
|Ryan Kitto||Brandon Borrello|
Leading Scorers in fixture –
Roar – Reinaldo (7)
2016/17 SEASON STATISTICS
|Number||Name||Appearances||Starts||Substitute Appearances||Subbed off||Minutes Played||Goals||Assists||Yellow Cards||Red – Second Bookable||Straight Red|
Mark Jones – 0 wins, John Aloisi – 0 wins, 0 drawnNewcastle Jets A-League Coaching Records –
- Mark Jones – 0 matches (0 wins, 0 drawn, 0 losses = N/A% win ratio)
- Scott Miller – 3 matches (0 wins, 2 drawn, 1 loss = 0% win ratio)
- Phil Stubbins – 3 matches (0 wins, 0 drawn, 3 losses = 0% win ratio)
- Gary Van Egmond – 17 matches (9 wins, 3 drawn and 5 losses = 53% win ratio)
- Richard Money – 3 matches (1 win, 0 drawn, 2 losses = 33% win ratio)
- Branko Culina – 6 matches (1 wins, 4 drawn, 1 losses = 17% win ratio)
- Nick Theodorakopoulos – 1 match (0 wins, 0 drawn, 1 loss = 0% win ratio)
- Craig Deans – No Matches
- Clayton Zane – 1 match (1 win, 0 drawn, 0 loss = 100% win ratio)
Brisbane Roar Coach Record – John Aloisi 28% win ratio (2 wins, 3 drawn, 2 losses)
Memorable Match – 17th November 2013
- The first match where the Jets came from behind at half time to win. Brisbane took the lead through a Luke Bratten goal on a soggy afternoon in Newcastle. The second half saw the Jets score two goals through Adam Taggart, with a little help from a large puddle of water, to run out 2-1 winners.
- There has only been one scoreless match between these two teams in the history of the A-League.
- The Jets last beat Brisbane in February 2014.
- The Jets are 7383 attendees from having 1.5 million people attend an A-League game at the stadium.
- Mark Jones and Nick Nick Theodorakopoulos are the only managers in Jets history to draw their opening match.
- Gary Van Egmond is the only manager to have won his first match against the Roar.
- Wayne Brown is the 7th Jets player to score on his A-League debut.
- The last substitute to score for the Jets, Radavan Pavicevic, scored his goal against the Roar.
- 5 players made their debut for the club last week, the same number as Round 1 in the previous two seasons.
- Wayne Brown is the 66th player to score for the Jets.
- The Jets have scored the first goal in their last 3 fixtures.
- The Jets have won 5 of the 10 fixtures held on a Sunday between these 2 clubs, while 2 of the 3 wins in Newcastle have come on a Sunday.
- Newcastle have scored a goal in their last 5 games – the longest streak in 2.5 years.
- Brisbane have scored the first goal in this fixture on 5 of the last 6 occasions.
- Brisbane have managed to claim 20 points from a losing position against the Jets over the course of the A-League’s history – the most of any team against Newcastle.
- Newcastle Jets Daniel Alessi – Knee (Season), Mateo Poljak – Calf (possible), Morten Nordstrand – Knee (possible), Daniel Mullen – Knee (12 weeks), Ben Kennedy – Achilles (Season), Jason Hoffman – Calf (Unknown)
- Brisbane Roar
After one round, the Jets are already facing a test of their squad depth with Mullen sustaining a serious knee injury while Hoffman and Kokko are also in doubt. The return of Poljak and Nordstrand should help to aleviate the loss.
Jacob Pepper will likely deputise for the suspended Matt McKay in midfield. The socceroos midfielder’s presence will be missed but Pepper will bring energy for the Roar in the middle of the park.
The Jets will look to build upon a solid first performance against Adelaide, but to do so they will need to defy a trend of poor restuls againts the Roar in Newcastle.
With the 1.5 millionth fan at the stadium likely to be in attendance on Sunday, I think the Jets will have enough to get over the line.
SQUAD: 4.Nigel BOOGAARD (C), 5.Ben KANTAROVSKI, 6.Steven UGARKOVIC, 7.Andrew HOOLE, 8.Mateo POLJAK, 10.Wayne BROWN, 11.Labinot HALITI, 13.Ivan VUJICA, 14.Mitch COOPER, 15.Andrew NABBOUT, 16.Nick COWBURN, 19.Morten NORDSTRAND, 20.Jack DUNCAN (gk), 22.Lachlan JACKSON, 23.Devante CLUT, 30.Pierce CLARK (gk)
IN: 8.Mateo POLJAK (returns from injury), 14.Mitch COOPER (promoted), 19.Morten NORDSTRAND (returns from injury)
OUT: 2.Daniel MULLEN (knee – indefinite), 3.Jason HOFFMAN (calf – 1-2 weeks), 9.Aleksandr KOKKO (Achilles – 1-2 weeks)
UNAVAILABLE: 1.Ben KENNEDY (gk) (Achilles – season), 2.Daniel MULLEN (knee – indefinite), 3.Jason HOFFMAN (calf – 1-2 weeks), 9.Aleksandr KOKKO (Achilles – 1-2 weeks), 21.Daniel ALESSI (knee – season)